Relax…

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im astounded how much of a pass Barrett gets to be honest.

Whil;st i dont advocate sacking a homie before round 7 next year, he is also the guy that:
bought waddell
bought Flanno, and said he was actively chasing him before he came available. Bad eye for talent.
Bought allenn
refused Benji.
didnt move Hoppa on when he couldve
naively relied on Burton this year.
Wasted a warchest
has carried us into last place
has the team going backward
questionable selection
Weird emphasis on youth over experience and lack of understanding you need short term answers to pave the way for a long term answer.
negative coaching record beforehand.

He has done worse than Pay who got our guys going for a bit. Pay got roasted, whereas he had a worse squad and got us going.

Yes he did get burton, and yes the players like him. But that can only be relied on so long. love cock.
Dry July is it? Making sense for once..

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im astounded how much of a pass Barrett gets to be honest.

Whil;st i dont advocate sacking a homie before round 7 next year, he is also the guy that:
bought waddell
bought Flanno, and said he was actively chasing him before he came available. Bad eye for talent.
Bought allenn
refused Benji.
didnt move Hoppa on when he couldve
naively relied on Burton this year.
Wasted a warchest
has carried us into last place
has the team going backward
questionable selection
Weird emphasis on youth over experience and lack of understanding you need short term answers to pave the way for a long term answer.
negative coaching record beforehand.

He has done worse than Pay who got our guys going for a bit. Pay got roasted, whereas he had a worse squad and got us going.

Yes he did get burton, and yes the players like him. But that can only be relied on so long. love cock.
he hasnt wasted a war chest has he as hes bringing in some superstars for next year, plus with the players off contract he ll have a war chest for next year, im not saying he ll make perfect signings but lets see, he ll get massively judged based on who he brings in, if we dont bring 2 forwards and a 9 in, he could be in big trouble.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Name a player that has improved under Barrett?

And who the fck is HSC?
Also missed joshua ado Carr but who is HSC?
Look at the keyboard for clues. H is next to J, S is next to A, extrapolate from that he obviously meant JAC.

I tend to agree with the OP though that we need to relax a bit. While this year has been an abbsolute shitfest for us Dogs fans, we're not the only club that has had shit results under these messed up new rules. Most of the teams that are in the hunt for the premiership have been beaten by cricket scores at some point and that tends to be a very rare thing in the history of our game. So while I'm not impressed by a long shot, I also know that this season is far from representative of a typical year of NRL.

We're doing the worst off all the teams, but for many years fans on here have been crying foul about the quality of our roster. These new rules have highlighted the gulf in quality between the handful of teams at the top of the ladder and the rest of the pack. Allen, Flanagan and Waddell were never going to be the magic bullets to spark a resurgence of our successful eras. Cotric was probably the only recruit I was a bit excited about getting. I'd hoped they'd contribute to us pushing as high as the fringe of the 8, but that was hope not expectation.

Our incoming players list includes
- A classy young half in Burton.
- Possibly the NRL's most exciting winger in JAC.
- A pretty handy centre in Naden.
- It's sounding like we'll have TPJ to bolster our forward ranks a bit.

Changing 4 starting players out of our 13 run on squad might not seem like it'll be a big improvement. But it can potentially make a hell of a difference. They're all quality players. Ideally we'll still make a few more gun signings (hopefully at hooker, prop and another good outside back) and hopefully the NRL does away with the six again rule which really stops the game from being a level playing field.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
he hasnt wasted a war chest has he as hes bringing in some superstars for next year, plus with the players off contract he ll have a war chest for next year, im not saying he ll make perfect signings but lets see, he ll get massively judged based on who he brings in, if we dont bring 2 forwards and a 9 in, he could be in big trouble.
JAC fell into our lap because he wanted to live in sydney. We also made him the highest paid winger in the game and he didbt likre Maguires hard work ethic coaching style and resented the club for axing him. Who else could he have signed for?
*maybe* Eels or Sharqs, who didnt put in an offer to my knowledge.
Either way, this is hardly masterstroke stuff.

He got Burton which I acknowledge, and deserves credit, but again, he was in the right place at the right time, knowing him at penrith and having the guy shafted by Cleary.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I get we are playing like shit, but let’s not get upset. We will be gaining some real talent (burton, hsc, tpj etc) - fire power which we haven’t had in a while, and we have had emerging players such as avo etc break out. We will come good by next year, mark my words.

If we end up playing shit next year, with a shit team, then get up the players. But you can’t blame Barrett given his supporting cast at this moment.
Where did you think we would on the ladder this season before the start of the season?

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get we are playing like shit, but let’s not get upset. We will be gaining some real talent (burton, jac, tpj etc) - fire power which we haven’t had in a while, and we have had emerging players such as avo etc break out. We will come good by next year, mark my words.

If we end up playing shit next year, with a shit team, then get up the players. But you can’t blame Barrett given his supporting cast at this moment.
Ok B

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the keyboard for clues. H is next to J, S is next to A, extrapolate from that he obviously meant JAC.

I tend to agree with the OP though that we need to relax a bit. While this year has been an abbsolute shitfest for us Dogs fans, we're not the only club that has had shit results under these messed up new rules. Most of the teams that are in the hunt for the premiership have been beaten by cricket scores at some point and that tends to be a very rare thing in the history of our game. So while I'm not impressed by a long shot, I also know that this season is far from representative of a typical year of NRL.

We're doing the worst off all the teams, but for many years fans on here have been crying foul about the quality of our roster. These new rules have highlighted the gulf in quality between the handful of teams at the top of the ladder and the rest of the pack. Allen, Flanagan and Waddell were never going to be the magic bullets to spark a resurgence of our successful eras. Cotric was probably the only recruit I was a bit excited about getting. I'd hoped they'd contribute to us pushing as high as the fringe of the 8, but that was hope not expectation.

Our incoming players list includes
- A classy young half in Burton.
- Possibly the NRL's most exciting winger in JAC.
- A pretty handy centre in Naden.
- It's sounding like we'll have TPJ to bolster our forward ranks a bit.

Changing 4 starting players out of our 13 run on squad might not seem like it'll be a big improvement. But it can potentially make a hell of a difference. They're all quality players. Ideally we'll still make a few more gun signings (hopefully at hooker, prop and another good outside back) and hopefully the NRL does away with the six again rule which really stops the game from being a level playing field.
And we won't have hoppa and s. Katoa!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And we won't have hoppa and s. Katoa!
I honestly look at the situation now with a view that we're possibly going to wind up signing a handful of players that aren't superstars, but who will be great additions to the roster. I was reminded earlier with the rumour that Ava Seumanafagai (if I spelled that right) is re-signing. He's a player that I didn't rate as more than depth who has looked like a pretty solid performer for us and gives me hope that we can potentially pick up more players that might be surprise packets. Someone I thought would be cover for injury has become a regular in the weekly 17 and offers a bit more quality than we had. If we do that with 5-6 more players it'll be significant improvement

Signing players that hadn't quite fulfilled their potential and unleashing that potential used to be how we rolled as a club. The lack of recent success has made plenty of fans desperate and has many living with the assumption that the only way to become competitive again is to sign players straight from rep squads. We aren't gifted with a salary sombrero and won't have 30 rep players in our squad anytime soon. As long as we're upgrading the standard of the bulk of the roster moderately we're going to improve. Some stars and game breakers would be superb, but generally speaking, moderate upgrades that mean our top 17 is a few notches better. If we wind up with a roster next year where guys that would walk into our squad this year are pushed back to being cover for injury and suspension it's got the potential to make us one of the biggest improvers on the ladder.