News Refs get a better deal from NRL - avoiding strike action.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Angry referees have struck a peace deal with the NRL, averting the threat of strike action in round one of the premiership next month.

The two groups have been at loggerheads over pay and conditions for months, with the frustrated refs taking the unprecedented step of threatening a boycott of round one games.

But the referees were successful in most of their claims, although they are still unhappy with the leadership of their immediate bosses, Tony Archer and Bernard Sutton.

The improvements the referees received included:
1. Pay for trials - in the past they did trial games for no money.
2. Weekly pay increases for part-timers from $250 to $360.
3. Match payments rise from $1300 to $1480.
4. NRL to pay for physio and medical expenses straight away rather than refs paying for them and then being reimbursed.

“Overall it was a good result although the group is still not happy with the work environment,” a referees source told WWOS.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-referees-strike/462d53c8-500d-441c-b2f6-aafaaf7168bc

In other ref news Henry Perenara is going to miss first 6 odd rounds with ankle injury apparently.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have no beef with refs getting paid more. But just want the quality to improve.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happen there are in the hay day they use to about 5000 a game in the late 90s early 2000s as I used it to get a pay rise.

Who would put themselves through that shit they have to put up with for 38k a year in match payments. There single parent on welfare getting more than that.

I ref Supper league (soccer) when I was 20 I used to paid 600 first 300 reserves or 150 for linemans in both grades then they also work all my appointments so I could play state division 1 were I also paid 200 win 50 draw or loss. This was all tax free (soccer in aus has no money) I can't believe NRL have gone so backwards nowonders the standards are so shit.

You could not train and work enough to make any type of living. Wasn't the Holden cup when it started NRL bang on under 20 games on TV plus Min pay 60k plus education expenses paid for trade and tafe for 16 years old and 18 year old. The treat referres like that.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Who would put themselves through that shit they have to put up with for 38k a year in match payments. There single parent on welfare getting more than that.
The figure quoted isn't their full salary I'm sure.

Edit: Ahh here we go... from 2018 article by Adrian Proszenko

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/to...-315k-if-pay-demands-met-20180922-p505e2.html

Fairfax Media can reveal the Professional Rugby League Match Officials is seeking a 30 per cent pay increase for its members over the next four years. If granted, the single best referee in the game would stand to earn about $315,000 once Test and State of Origin commitments are factored in. To put that into perspective, the average wage for players under the new collective bargaining agreement rises to $330,000.

While State of Origin players get $30,000 per Origin appearance, the four match officials currently have to split $11,000.
So yeah match payments must be in addition to salary.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup happy with the above as long as we see consistency week in week out and non bias officiating (big ask) but as said consistency is KEY here.. always had been lol.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought Sutton brothers were on the Broncos Payroll?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More to the point.... can we as fans and the major stakeholders in the game expect to get a better deal from the referees?????