Refs and video ref

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was watching a Roosters vs Manly game from 2005 and couldn't believe how enjoyable the game would have been to watch live

The one thing that kept the game going and free flowing was the one ref Tim Mander

Every time someone scored he looked at the touches and awarded the try very quick

Now going to last nights game Brisbane vs Manly Joel Thompson scores a try and the ref pretty much had his head inside the tackle with his face on the ball and then goes to the video ref

Honestly who ever that ref was needs to be sacked for sending that try upstairs
What a joke

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I was watching a Roosters vs Manly game from 2005 and couldn't believe how enjoyable the game would have been to watch live

The one thing that kept the game going and free flowing was the one ref Tim Mander

Every time someone scored he looked at the touches and awarded the try very quick

Now going to last nights game Brisbane vs Manly Joel Thompson scores a try and the ref pretty much had his head inside the tackle with his face on the ball and then goes to the video ref

Honestly who ever that ref was needs to be sacked for sending that try upstairs
What a joke
All good and well but if half the tries were incorrectly awarded you would be blowing up deluxe. Look at the carry on over whether the Eels player had his foot on the in goal line in the second half when he took the bomb. No video ref no replay and no-one has a conversation. Look at the Jennings no try - awarded by the ref - we lose except it wasn't a try.

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get what you're saying and while it is true I do believe with less technology the refs were smarter a decade ago and made less errors than the idiots running around today

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Without the video ref and second ref you win some and you lose some... but that was just part of the game and people accepted it.

Now there is an expectation of fans that there is consistency... but there isn't.

They've overcomplicated things to shape the results of games and have to live with that now.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And you didn't have KFC demanding there air time all game.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think there will ever be a solution everyone will be happy with.

The way I see it. All the talk of how great the game used to be, how the refs were better comes from a very naive outlook.

Technology has changed the game. Like it or not that’s the reality.

The golden age that people such as Matty Johns keep harping on about and want to go back too had a camera on the half way shooting grainy pictures. The fan at home was no wiser to the decision.

In 2018 we have every possible camera angle. In super high res showing everyone what happened. The simplistic view that you win some you lose some doesn’t cut it.

With all the angles the viewer gets the refs need all the help they can get.

For one, if they go upstairs. They don’t know. Simple as that. The bunker need to decide. It’s either benefit of the doubt to the attacking team or the defending team. Pick which it is and stick to it.

The bunker needs to be 3 adjudicators all working individually and independently. They all enter TRY or NO TRY. Majority rules if option is split. I think this would eliminate most howlers.

Could even work with two in the bunker. with the on field referees having the benefit of the big screen. So they can have another look the play and combine with what they saw live. Only if the other two are split would this option count.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Two referees on the field has done nothing to improve the quality of the game delivered to fans, and has done nothing to improve the quality of decisions being made on the field.

They need to go back to one referee ASAP.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only real winner from the bunker referral is KFC.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why can't the video ref superimpose a line on the field for forward passes? The NFL have been doing that for years.

But I guess that will hinder them in rigging games.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why can't the video ref superimpose a line on the field for forward passes? The NFL have been doing that for years.

But I guess that will hinder them in rigging games.
Yeah i often thought about this too but more for offside play than forward passes, a ball can travel forward due to momentum even though the player never passed it forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.