Reflections on Dogs v Parra 98

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nice to see this posted on nrl.com. Thoughts and memories from the ref of the game (Harrigan) and two of our blokes, the original superboot and Rocket Rod.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was a great run i was there too and for the previous comeback win against Newcastle.Had forgotten it was a 20 team comp and a 10 team finals series that year and we finished 9th!! Beat the Dragons(8th), North Sydney Bears(5th), Knights(2nd) and Eels(4th) on the way to that GF where in the second half we sadly ran completely out of gas.
Was the first year of the NRL also.

Last edited:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must admit I completely lost my mind that day - I was sitting in the row of seats directly in front of Ray Hadley's commentary box and when we thought Polly's field goal went over I literally nearly burst through the front of the box - Ray looked me in the eye and you could see the fear on his face!!

Last edited:

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
a lot of that team in hindsight were underrated - Silva, Lester, Talau, Polla-Mounter, Britt, Relf, Norton
Agreed!

But their offspring have been over-rated (Dean Britt definitely, Tommy Talau probably).

Being the ‘son of’ does not, of itself, make someone a decent footballer.

It’s clearly not all in the genes.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed!

But their offspring have been over-rated (Dean Britt definitely, Tommy Talau probably).

Being the ‘son of’ does not, of itself, make someone a decent footballer.

It’s clearly not all in the genes.
there are examples of sons being similarly good or even better than their famous fathers --> Gary Ablett Jr, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Thiago Alcantara, Steph Curry etc... in league terms, you have Nathan Cleary, Ryan Cross I guess, Jarrod Mullen etc.

can't really think of examples for the 'Dogs though

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
there are examples of sons being similarly good or even better than their famous fathers --> Gary Ablett Jr, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Thiago Alcantara, Steph Curry etc... in league terms, you have Nathan Cleary, Ryan Cross I guess, Jarrod Mullen etc.

We did pretty well with “brother of”.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
yeh i watched it again fox the other day when it was on, i was there also, my spot in the crowd was directly behind Halligans last kick, what a game.
had parra supporters all around us and they were giving it to us before our comeback.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Definitely don't think the Hughes brothers circa late 90s/ early 2000s were better than the originals from 70s and 80s (? sons of Garry)