REFEREE INFLUNCE "BETTING SECTOR"

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have you ever stopped and thought firstly how complex/near impossible it would be to rig the outcome of rugby league fixtures?

Do you realise betting agencies would make far more $$ if we were to actually win these games?

Just take a few minutes to have a good think about the sheer ludicrousness of your claims.
Not necessarily. You honestly have no idea how betting flows work. It might be that 1000 people betting on the Bulldogs to win with a huge payout would outweigh 10,000 people betting on Parra to win (the safe bet) and without doubt the computers would tell the gambling agencies exactly how the results of each game would affect their profit margin. I've seen games where teams that shouldn't lose are for some reason reffed out of games to get the underdog up.

And as for the complexity of rigging the outcomes, you control possession through six agains and inflict fatigue on one side. Fatigue is huge this year which is why so many blowouts take place. You can also affect one teams mental state during a game through penalties etc. 20 years ago it would have been very difficult to orchestrate the results in a game. The game has gradually seen grey areas introduced to allow the refs to apply their own interpretation to rules and this year you basically don't even know what most of the infringements are for, or at least I don't know many people that can follow why 6 agains are applied.

In all honesty I know that some people will judge my ideas on this as conspiracy theories. I personally don't give a shit if you think I'm crazy to think games are increasingly rigged by match officials. There are people that think Kim Kardashian is still attractive. I disagree with that. She has a smallish ass if you're into clydesdales sexually. But everybody has their own opinions on everything. And my opinion on the current state of refereeing is that it couldn't be as bad as it is if it's not intentionally bad to influence the outcomes of games.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Betting agencies don’t need to rig outcomes to generate eye watering profits. They just need bozos like you who’ve probably had a few bucks invested on the dogs over the past few years to keep turning up week after week.

To suggest there is organised match fixing going going on and it’s costing us (of all teams! :tearsofjoy:) is as dumb as it gets.
im not suggesting this game was rigged against us specifically or that it is happening, but the betting agencies would make much more money on every nrl match if they had the referee in the pocket, and the referee can easily influence a rugby league match under the radar especially now

ill give you a little clue, everybody is out to take more money anyway they can, if it hasn't happened here and the nrl is not rigged its only because they wanted to do it but couldn't and the nrl integrity unit actually has some integrity, thats the only reason

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not necessarily. You honestly have no idea how betting flows work. It might be that 1000 people betting on the Bulldogs to win with a huge payout would outweigh 10,000 people betting on Parra to win (the safe bet) and without doubt the computers would tell the gambling agencies exactly how the results of each game would affect their profit margin. I've seen games where teams that shouldn't lose are for some reason reffed out of games to get the underdog up.

And as for the complexity of rigging the outcomes, you control possession through six agains and inflict fatigue on one side. Fatigue is huge this year which is why so many blowouts take place. You can also affect one teams mental state during a game through penalties etc. 20 years ago it would have been very difficult to orchestrate the results in a game. The game has gradually seen grey areas introduced to allow the refs to apply their own interpretation to rules and this year you basically don't even know what most of the infringements are for, or at least I don't know many people that can follow why 6 agains are applied.

In all honesty I know that some people will judge my ideas on this as conspiracy theories. I personally don't give a shit if you think I'm crazy to think games are increasingly rigged by match officials. There are people that think Kim Kardashian is still attractive. I disagree with that. She has a smallish ass if you're into clydesdales sexually. But everybody has their own opinions on everything. And my opinion on the current state of refereeing is that it couldn't be as bad as it is if it's not intentionally bad to influence the outcomes of games.
Mate with all due respect all you’re throwing out here are a bunch of low percentage hypotheticals. Tell me honestly how often you think a Dogs win is the worst result for the bookies? And even if so, how would you justify the reputational risk pertaining to an industry of that size?

Last edited:

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rodzilla.. come on man, What happens if Ladbrokes think let’s rig it for Parra to win and Sportsbet are nah we want the Bulldogs to win. Then the other hundreds of other companies around the world want another result( who might not even know the ref like you’re suggesting, lol by the way).

You mentioned the word moron before (hope it wasn’t aimed at me, as I’ve worked for a book making company before and know exactly how it works) but not only is this moronic it’s also getting so far fetched it’s laughable and you can tell you have given zero thought or any comprehension of what you are saying.

chuckynemo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
100%.. You are not being a cynic at all! The amount of times a team scores just in time to revoke the 13+ bets is rediculous. Funny thing is I have a bet with my father at times to see if the last minute tries stop the 13+ bets from getting in

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
im not suggesting this game was rigged against us specifically or that it is happening, but the betting agencies would make much more money on every nrl match if they had the referee in the pocket, and the referee can easily influence a rugby league match under the radar especially now

ill give you a little clue, everybody is out to take more money anyway they can, if it hasn't happened here and the nrl is not rigged its only because they wanted to do it but couldn't and the nrl integrity unit actually has some integrity, thats the only reason
Of course they would. But the question here is whether they are, and when you take emotion out of the equation and assess the risk vs benefit and practicalities (especially in the era of live betting revenues skyrocketing) of it all you’d come to the answer that it’s a resounding no.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
100%.. You are not being a cynic at all! The amount of times a team scores just in time to revoke the 13+ bets is rediculous. Funny thing is I have a bet with my father at times to see if the last minute tries stop the 13+ bets from getting in
So maybe that 13+ margin was picked on purpose because it's a key general margin point amongst footy games?

These odds are designed on the back of statistics guys. Seriously.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Rodzilla.. come on man, What happens if Ladbrokes think let’s rig it for Parra to win and Sportsbet are nah we want the Bulldogs to win
then it obviously goes to the auction system or they flip a coin

its not far fetched at all, if im the scumbag bookmaker, im getting the referee first and foremost then offering more generous odds to the losing team, its a simple process, im definitely not going to some tennis umpire and asking them to rig a tennis match ffs

it only takes one of these bookmakers to do it for it to be rigged, the competitive bookmaker environment should actually be included into my argument since it means there is more players involved and more of a chance for it to happen

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
You sound like a mug, the bookies must lick their lips every time you crank up the Sportsbet app. Let me know your next planned bet I’ll give you enhanced odds

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Betting agencies don’t need to rig outcomes to generate eye watering profits. They just need bozos like you who’ve probably had a few bucks invested on the dogs over the past few years to keep turning up week after week. Not to mention the donkeys at Echuca you probably throw money at.

To suggest there is organised match fixing going going on and it’s costing us (of all teams! :tearsofjoy:) is as dumb as it gets.
You should have told Ryan Tandy then, hey!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
then it obviously goes to the auction system or they flip a coin

its not far fetched at all, if im the scumbag bookmaker, im getting the referee first and foremost then offering more generous odds to the losing team, its a simple process, im definitely not going to some tennis umpire and asking them to rig a tennis match ffs

it only takes one of these bookmakers to do it for it to be rigged, the competitive bookmaker environment should actually be included into my argument since it means there is more players involved and more of a chance for it to happen
This isn’t village football in Zimbabwe

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 6 again rule is the biggest tool referees now use to manipulate the result of a game.
Wouldnt say they dont have integrity and trying to manipulate the game. But 6 again rule reduce the transparency to judge their performance.

And in the first place, why was there a need to speed up the game with rule like that? How many fans said the game was not fast enough before that? Id really love to see the stats/poll.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Of course they would. But the question here is whether they are, and when you take emotion out of the equation and assess the risk vs benefit and practicalities (especially in the era of live betting revenues skyrocketing) of it all you’d come to the answer that it’s a resounding no.
risk vs benefit is something that i would like to include into my argument as well, commentators and coaches have got the message that referees are off limits and are not to be attacked, so the benefit is big and the risk is smaller

so now it has been confirmed that the betting agencies would make more money if they could do it, the referees would make more money if they would do it and that rugby league is the easiest sport in the world for the referee to influence the result

you should apologise within 3 days for creating fake news and for trying too hard to be right

saying that someone is an idiot for not knowing that the bookmakers would make more money on a bulldogs win, you still havent explained how you knew that part

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
This isn’t village football in Zimbabwe
exactly, i want to include this into my argument thanks, aussie punters bet an average of $0 zimbabwe football in 2020

NRL popularity is another reason to do it, because the idea is to make more money

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wouldnt say they dont have integrity and trying to manipulate the game. But 6 again rule reduce the transparency to judge their performance.

And in the first place, why was there a need to speed up the game with rule like that? How many fans said the game was not fast enough before that? Id really love to see the stats/poll.
The weaker sides don't even get much of an advantage out of it anyway, such a stupid rule when it's used within your own half. Previously when you were getting hammered you could at least slow the game down, kick for touch and gain some field position off a penalty and potentially force a drop out. Instead the top sides just keep hammering you because an early tackle set restart is only worth an extra 10-15m and doesn't really impact them at all

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
exactly, i want to include this into my argument thanks, aussie punters bet an average of $0 zimbabwe football in 2020

NRL popularity is another reason to do it, because the idea is to make more money
You do realise the total wagered on NRL is far far below alot of sports?

The only good point that’s been made is that NRL does have an easier way than most sports for an official to affect the outcome. The 6 again rules and the way that many decisions are open to interpretation does leave the door ajar.

However, even if a bookmaker could systemically and continuously rig matches they would be risking their entire company. Some of these are worth hundreds of millions and are multi national, the fallout from any such cheating would be too great to risk.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS happened in our Game today.
TBAZ Said it in post match "without being direct" But GAVE the factual reasons.

It's sports tab, tab, points bet, Ladbrokes and all other betting agencies are major sponsors of the NRL & front of jersey major sponsors of some NRL CLUBS.
So when the sponsorship money is coming in from this gambling sector who are putting money into the game then they will influence results to benefit the bottom line.

Nrl does not exist without the sponsorship money so it is like they are held ransom.
The referee has more influence since it has got back to ONE referee which makes it easier for the ref to control the game. Even to extent of how points are scored.
Then there is the VIDEO Ref who can at anytime overturn any decision on the field.
SinBin, send off, and tries.
It is a fact. If the GOVERNMENT can be corrupt, WHY CANT THE NRL?
Betting on sports including Rugby League has been going on for many years now and there have been a few scandals over the years. Remember Ryan Tandy?

But what you say is an off shoot of the NRL scouting for and getting P V'Landys who came from Harness Racing to Horse Racing and is an Accountant by profession who has had a background in Wagering. Horse Racing industry is the only industry that has increased prize money even during Covid and there's a very good reason for that. P V'L has tied up the media coverage of NSW Racing with the TAB on a 99 year lease.

He blindsided ALL those who matter, like the players and fans with the edict on cracking down on high and dangerous tackles during Magic Round without talking to them. Yet he was the same guy who made a myriad of rule changes when he came in, some good, others not so good and was spruiking, "We have to listen to the fans, as without the fans, we have NO game". Yes that's true but it now seems the power is going to his head as it did in the Thoroughbred / Racing Industry.