News Reed Mahoney names player to watch this season

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year it would have been 50. I keep thinking back to the trial where the Panthers FG side lost to our reserves then went on to have a good year. That gives me hope that when games and wins count towards premiership points our guys will put on a better show and be more competitive during the season.
Yeah but.... If we took it seriously and Sharks took it seriously....wouldn't the end result still be a 20 point drubbing?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im
Actually the first 35mins we were 1 try apart with the team that ran 2nd last year , As usual TK overeating again
I'm sure scores were level in the first minute of play too!

He'll, we were even 4-0 in front after 10mins.

Games aren't decided in the 35th minute. They are decided in the 80th or sometimes 90th if youre evenly matched.

They had us covered. Well covered.

It's not a travesty we lost, but it's disappointing we couldn't go with them.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a pretty small hill. To me he is another player that projected potential but has never really nailed it. He doesnt dominate or intimidate, he doesnt run off the back fence and isnt a known big hitter in defence. Bench middle.
One of the nicest guys and can fill a role but I was mortified when Des let Shaun Lane go for him.

Just another nail in the Des coffin...

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure King and Kiraz had another year left on their deal too but Gus had extended them by mid season last year... Gus will do the same with Preston. Gus has said numerous times that he'll always upgrade a player early if they prove they're worth it. It's a big part of why so many players are signing with us and why more are keen to stay.
You can't keep doing that because it's a 1 way ladder. You can't strip player salaries when their form drops....

A contract is a contract. Im sure there bonuses included for certain goals. That's enough to encourage improvement

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of the nicest guys and can fill a role but I was mortified when Des let Shaun Lane go for him.

Just another nail in the Des coffin...
There is no question that he is a good bloke. But he he also isn’t a gun back rower or middle.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We have to spend the money . . . Lets pay it forward and extend him while he is still cheap and flying under the radar
We don’t have to rush there is plenty of time to make that decision. Early days.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

club has massive wraps on him, for gus to be saying he sees him as a leader of the club is a bold statement this early. Interesting that he wasnt actually with the roosters and just north sydney. If he plays like he did in the first two trials he will be a fan favourite in no time
Thanks for sharing. Seems like a great guy, and an even better player. Well done for getting him to the club!!

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not hatred. There’s a thread that shows it’s just a realistic view. About 50-4 last I checked a few days ago.
I think Avo did enough to deserve a crack at FB this year. He showed potential in number 1 jersey last year. He needs some coaching and a better support around him but he also has some spark and can find the line.
I don’t get how Perham can come in -having not played FB in first grade for any length of time and leap frogged him.

I am team Avo for sure.

J_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Im

I'm sure scores were level in the first minute of play too!

He'll, we were even 4-0 in front after 10mins.

Games aren't decided in the 35th minute. They are decided in the 80th or sometimes 90th if youre evenly matched.

They had us covered. Well covered.

It's not a travesty we lost, but it's disappointing we couldn't go with them.

That's my point , We did go toe to toe with them for most of the 1st half and we didn't even go close to playing our best footy whereas sharkies hit the ground running. We had a 10min lapse where we made silly errors under fatigue and let in a few tries from kicks. Yes we couldn't go with them for the whole game but I thought we weren't far off them either in some aspects of our game. 2 of our most potent forwards weren't playing who I think would of been a huge difference too.

All I was trying to say was that it's not all doom and gloom like many think it is here on the kennel. You can already see the difference in our fitness and our defence. Once we gel in attack I think we're gonna be tough to beat no matter who we play.

Also I beleive sharks have a great team and will be pushing for a minor premiership this year

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Interesting to hear that our Data Analyst actually identified him. Same bloke who ID’d Brandon Clarke as the next Harry Grant.
scott woodward aka the analyst. He was with madge before he was sacked hence why he went over the world cup with the Kiwis. Now he us Gus right hand man.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Preston shows more promise than a lot of the others. However, I would like to see him bulk up a bit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Preston shows more promise than a lot of the others. However, I would like to see him bulk up a bit.
He looks pretty solid and strong at the moment. Not every forward has to look like a body builder. Steve Menzies had the body of a marathon runner but he was one of the best second rowers of all time.