Reduced Interchange??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NRL plans to reduce interchange subs from 10 to eight or six from 2016 season onwards.

THE NRL plans to reduce the number of interchange substitutions from the 2016 season onwards in a move designed to increase the influence of smaller players.

Paul Kent revealed the move tonight on NRL360 and says it will change the nature of the sport.

“The fabric of the game will change,” Kent said. “This will take the game back to that gladiatorial aspect.

“This will bring the smaller players back. It’s dragging yourself off the deck and getting back up again.”

Kent said the NRL are currently deciding whether to reduce the changes to eight or six, down from the current 10.

The number of interchanges has been blamed for defences being so tight, with playmakers unable to target tiring defenders in an era when fitness levels have never been higher.

Ikin used a pain-limitation metaphor to describe the NRL’s plans.

“They have to bandaid it,” Ikin said.

Kent added: “Rip it straight off and away we go.”

The increasing size of the modern-day footballer, along with their increased aerobic capacity, has given rise to fears the skilled yet diminutive players in the key handling positions will become more and more scarce.

The NRL’s head of football, Todd Greenberg, acknowledged the evolution of the combatants required a response from the game’s leadership.

“At the moment they’re getting bigger, taller, faster and stronger,” Greenberg said late last year.

The competition committee spent some time looking at what the game looked like 10 years ago and that was the shape and size of our athletes. We also modelled what it will look like in 10 years’ time and that will shape some of our decisions to make sure that fatigue still plays a part in the modern game so there’s the balance between the big guys and the little guys.

“As a code and as a product, we’ve got a great ability to innovate when we need to but we need to be very considered in how we do that.”

The move to 10 interchange substitutions came in 2008 after it had previously been 12 and before that it was unlimited.

Gold Coast, Queensland and Australian forward Nate Myles believes a reduction would increase fatigue and reward the truly great players.

“You will see more football being played and you’ll see less wrestle; slow play-the-balls means it’s just going to be a slow game,” he told NRL.com.

But Broncos centre Justin Hodges believes any changes would rob the sport of one its biggest attractions.

“Everyone likes to see the big guys in the game. They are saying they want less [interchanges] to bring the smaller guys in and make it more entertaining but rugby league has been about the big collision and the big guys,” Hodges told NRL.com.

“I’m a firm believer in the way it is and I’m happy to leave it at that.”

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...6-season-onwards/story-fndujljl-1227276945199

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the plans to reduce the interchange next season?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I find it ironic that on one hand everybody is worried about concussions, but at the same time want interchange to be reduced.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
10 is good enough ffs, six would kill forwards and bigger players farout.

Instead of playing with the interchange fix up the referees and admin of the game...

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If they were to reduce the interchange then you would pick players who can play longer minutes as opposed to the short stint players like Kasiano.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Reduce it. Force clubs to develop real halves that can take advantage of the tiring defence instead of just having a bunch of massive blokes running into each other all game.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem aint small playmakers finding tired forwards.

the problem is that there is a big lack of quality in the halves department across the board.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The problem aint small playmakers finding tired forwards.

the problem is that there is a big lack of quality in the halves department across the board.
Because they don't develop halves. They would rather just get as many big blokes as possible and load them up on a bench like the dogs do. Atleast if you bring it back clubs will be forced to change the way teams are structured, because atm footy is about as boring as it has ever been.

I know i find watching football far more enjoyable than league these days, i put it down to the lack of skill in league.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The halves look worse than decades past because in the 90's they didn't have fresh 120kg guys running at them for 80min. The interchange going down to 6 will make the halves look better than they have for a while and the wrestle in the game will be reduced.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't realise andrew johns and brad filter weren't playing during the unlimited interchange era....or Cronk or Lockyer. Reducing interchanges won't fix shit and if anything will get rid of more things we love in the game. People tend to forget that not everyone that those great halfbacks of the 80s were up against were elite players. And Marley soccer and rugby league are entirely different sports so comparing them is idiotic, the whole premise of soccer is the dribbling and passing to advance a ball where as league is about the physicality and speed to overpower which is supplemented with short passing and kicking games.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I didn't realise andrew johns and brad filter weren't playing during the unlimited interchange era....or Cronk or Lockyer. Reducing interchanges won't fix shit and if anything will get rid of more things we love in the game. People tend to forget that not everyone that those great halfbacks of the 80s were up against were elite players. And Marley soccer and rugby league are entirely different sports so comparing them is idiotic, the whole premise of soccer is the dribbling and passing to advance a ball where as league is about the physicality and speed to overpower which is supplemented with short passing and kicking games.
The players in the 80's and 90's though were not as big or as fast. Yes the skill level has gone down also and Johns & Fittler would dominate in any era but look at the size of backlines now compared to the 80's and 90's.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Personally i don't see whats wrong with cutting back to 8 and staying there. It covers the forwards with one change each half or less, and if the game speeds up, you will find most coaches will more than likely adopt a second hooker.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cut to eight first see how goes for few years its good idea in theory but we don't wanna see dummy half crap all game either it could easily turn into touch footy with tired players around the ruck

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I personally think there is nothing wrong with the game. Every year they trying to make it faster, he's an idea its fast enough and nothing wrong with it so leave it alone.

N

Natboy

Halves aren't being developed from a very young age. Kids want to score the tries, not set them up

I don't follow NFL but in all of the movies the quarterbacks get all the girls

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its good we have always been a fit team,guys like tolman,graham,jackson will play 80 mins guys like eastwood and kas will be super subs when teams are tired

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it'll be good if they also extend the bench. 8 interchanges and a 6 man bench to really bring out a 'super-sub' and hopefully some quality football

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The interchange should be reduced to 8 immediately. Why wait till next year.

The game is becoming incredibly boring and far too east for 120kg dudes who have limited footballing brains, but are great athletes / strongmen to simply make tackles and perform hit ups for 20-25 minutes and then come off for a breather before getting another 15 minute spell.

It leads to the games we have now where teams are coached to be 'boring' and simply play the field position / possession game instead of taking calculated risks.

Once you reduce the interchange to 8 or even to 6, forwards will get tired and coaches will have to respond by playing smaller and more mobile second rowers in particular.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with Pattenator. Why wait?

Should of been done years ago.

Plus, they are talking about, whoever is taken off the field for head knocks will not be allowed to return. Which I agree with 100%. Safety is key no.1 and it will also deter fakers on the field.

Malla

Reaction score
It won't fix the problem. What I am seeing is that this is an idea to get smaller guys involved, however reducing the interchange won't do a thing as coaches will find a way to adapt and still play the same style of footy.

The problem is the refs. Firsly having 2 refs which in effect slows down the ruck so much. When you slow down the ruck, it ruins the continuity of the game, allows defensive teams so set and nulify the effectiveness of the smaller and more agile blokes. Blowing too many penalties also does this to the game as well - and when you think of some of the stupid rules that have been brought in like no shoulder charges. If the game wants to be dead set about this, they should bring back the 5 minute sin bin for repeat offenders for penalties such as slowing down the ruck, play the ball, offside etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.