Recruits on Pay's watch

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't blame Andrew Farrar if he never set foot in Belmore ever again. A very decent human who loves Canterbury.
Farrar had a huge falling out with Pay after he went into the football manager role.

He thought Pay had been far too accepting of the losses in 2018 and was using too many excuses especially in front of the media.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Farrar had a huge falling out with Pay after he went into the football manager role.

He thought Pay had been far too accepting of the losses in 2018 and was using too many excuses especially in front of the media.
And he was right. Farrar is one of the good people that should be involved.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fullback - Tex Hoy / Tabuai-Fidow
5/8 - Matt Burton
Hooker -Harry Grant or Brandon Smith

I'd love to make the above guys priority signings with an eye to the future (the fullbacks won't get offered anything near what we can) Burton is 3rd string at Penny now and Grant or Smith will be disappointed at Melbourne.

All young guys we can build our side around for the future. I'd like another middle forward to replace Tolman and Napa. Someone with some leg speed and punch like Tupinua from the Roosters would be on minimal money. I'd love to see Corey retained and I'd let Elliot go if he is demanding overs. Some times losing is as infectious as winning and you need to kill the cancer before it spreads and is accepted. Add in a few young penny recruits like Spencer Leniu, Billy Burns on minimal money sure we can get a similar squad with our 3 mill+

1. Hoy/Tabuai-Fidow
2. DWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Averillo
5. R. Smith
6. Burton
7. Foran
8. Thompson
9. Grant/Smith
10. Tupinua
11. CHN
12. RFM
13. Josh Jackson

14. Nathaniel Roache (warriors)
15. S. Leniu
16. J. Topine
17.R.To'omaga

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Cogger
Meaney
Katoa
Britt
Sue
(I've probably forgotten someone)

Are all players close to minimum wage. Opportunists or rejects to fill roster spots until 2021 or depth for 2022 and on wards.

Napa was a panic buy to replace Klemmer. We would of been better off not replacing Klemmer at all.

CHN was an opportunist (lost starting position to Kikau, fair). CHN was a terrific buy for us until Port Macquarie. I don't rate CHN as highly as some but for what he's on he's good value.

Stimson's also an opportunist. He'd be on a bit more than minimum wage. We need more out of him (similar buy to CHN).

The board is more responsible for these recruits more so than Pay imo.

We lost
Graham
Mbye
J. Morris
B. Morris
Woods
Klemmer
Eastwood

Due to our salary cap position. To be salary cap complient we had to move on all these players and we haven't been able to replace them. Napa was susposed to replace Klemmer (was never going to happen). DWZ and Thompson are also replacements. This is why we have so much salary cap to spend next year.

The biggest problem is who we've signed for 2021. Besides Thompson we haven't signed anyone. We should of been active and aggressive in the market since last November. If not knowing who the coach will be for 2021 was an issue the board should of made a decision on the coach before last November.
Well that last paragraph is basically what a lot have been expressing on here for months... what’s going on with recruitment? Reality is coach has moved on and we still don’t know. And your mate Paul Kent made a good comment last night “I think they have left it too late” let’s hope that he’s wrong cause circumstances would indicate that we aren’t signing anyone of note unless we agitate players from other clubs who are still on contract.

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fullback - Tex Hoy / Tabuai-Fidow
5/8 - Matt Burton
Hooker -Harry Grant or Brandon Smith

I'd love to make the above guys priority signings with an eye to the future (the fullbacks won't get offered anything near what we can) Burton is 3rd string at Penny now and Grant or Smith will be disappointed at Melbourne.

All young guys we can build our side around for the future. I'd like another middle forward to replace Tolman and Napa. Someone with some leg speed and punch like Tupinua from the Roosters would be on minimal money. I'd love to see Corey retained and I'd let Elliot go if he is demanding overs. Some times losing is as infectious as winning and you need to kill the cancer before it spreads and is accepted. Add in a few young penny recruits like Spencer Leniu, Billy Burns on minimal money sure we can get a similar squad with our 3 mill+

1. Hoy/Tabuai-Fidow
2. DWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Averillo
5. R. Smith
6. Burton
7. Foran
8. Thompson
9. Grant/Smith
10. Tupinua
11. CHN
12. RFM
13. Josh Jackson

14. Nathaniel Roache (warriors)
15. S. Leniu
16. J. Topine
17.R.To'omaga
Nathanial Roche is a great little player.. bad recent injury history though..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Some were good some were bad but it’s a bit hard with limited cap space and not unexpected to those with a brain

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jack Cogger - on minimum contract
Nick Meany - on minimum contract, I think he may actually turn out OK
Sione Katoa - on minimum contract, as a back up to the back up hooker
DWZ - came on minimum, was upgraded, which he earned last year, this year ............ not so much, which I personally think is confidence, something the whole team lacks
CHN - came on below average, given a deserved upgrade, then .............. set his dick free and farked us at the same time
Dean Britt - on minimum contract

How come so many minimum contracts, well that's all we could afford within the Cap constraints and the fact that we had to have 30 players.

Every coach takes risks with minimum contract, limited NRL experience players, some work out some don't. The success rate improves when you can surround them with quality players with NRL experience. Hardly our situation.

Go Dogs
So Dallin was on the minimum of 105k a season or 52.5k for half a season last year despite being the NZ captain the year before?

Meanwhile CHN signed for less than 300k despite being a NZ International? Yeah right!

Also, you conveniently left out 500k plus for Napa.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
DWZ - came on minimum, was upgraded, which he earned last year, this year ............ not so much, which I personally think is confidence, something the whole team lacks
CHN - came on below average, given a deserved upgrade, then .............. set his dick free and farked us at the same time

How come so many minimum contracts, well that's all we could afford within the Cap constraints and the fact that we had to have 30 players.

Every coach takes risks with minimum contract, limited NRL experience players, some work out some don't. The success rate improves when you can surround them with quality players with NRL experience. Hardly our situation.

Go Dogs
So if all these guys are signed on minimum contracts, then why do we only have 3mil to spend next year for our salary cap.
the 2021 salary cap is 9.9mil
Where is the other 6.0mil?
Minimum contract is $115K.
And no, we are not paying players who are at other clubs...
I am confused...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So if all these guys are signed on minimum contracts, then why do we only have 3mil to spend next year for our salary cap.
the 2021 salary cap is 9.9mil
Where is the other 6.0mil?
Minimum contract is $115K.
And no, we are not paying players who are at other clubs...
I am confused...
All we know is we lost Graham, Mbye, J. Morris, B. Morris, Woods, Klemmer and Eastwood who were all on big money and we've barely replaced any of them. We've brought in (and lost) a bunch of minimum wage players as well as bringing in CHN (not on a lot), Napa, DWZ and Thompson. If last year was the last year we were paying players to play elsewhere than the back ended contracts in the final year are so severe that when we can move those players on (as well as the deadwood) or renegotiate their contracts we're going to be left with 3-4m to spend. That means our current squad in true value is nowhere near the current 9.8m salary cap. I'd say our current team represents more of a team playing between a 7-8m salary cap (which is why we're not competitive or at least supposed to be).

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know Deano inherited a whole lot of issues when he took on the role but when you look at the players he recruited from other clubs can you blame the higher powers for doubting his ability to recruit a side to take us back in to the top 8 and beyond?

Jack Cogger - Has not become a top grader
Nick Meany - Fringe first grader going ok without setting the world on fire
Sione Katoa - Looked very average Saturday
DWZ - Game has gone down hill since last season when he arrived with a point to prove
CHN - Off field drama, had more than enough ability.
Dean Britt - Has struggled

There is probably more but none of pay's recuits have done a hell of a lot to positively add to the side have they.

Can we blame the club?
All great points.

These recruits haven't lived up to the opportunity they have been given.

We need alot of fixes here

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just happy Pay is gone, and we can now get a new style of game play etc, that’s the most exciting part of all.!!

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think you need to remember that Pay wasn’t give access to the funds which would have allowed him to recruit differently.

I’m not really a Pay fan however when you seek to cast blame it would be beneficial to understand the problem in its entirety.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Deano inherited a whole lot of issues when he took on the role but when you look at the players he recruited from other clubs can you blame the higher powers for doubting his ability to recruit a side to take us back in to the top 8 and beyond?

Jack Cogger - Has not become a top grader
Nick Meany - Fringe first grader going ok without setting the world on fire
Sione Katoa - Looked very average Saturday
DWZ - Game has gone down hill since last season when he arrived with a point to prove
CHN - Off field drama, had more than enough ability.
Dean Britt - Has struggled

There is probably more but none of pay's recuits have done a hell of a lot to positively add to the side have they.

Can we blame the club?
Our current roster and most of those recruits are duds. If they all went on the open market now I doubt any other club would sign them on the salary we are paying them with the exception of CHN and the new english forward.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Nick Meaney was signed for 300k per year for 3 years,,move on dribbler

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please be all means check it and post up any refruiting evidence, I'll be more than happy to apologise.

Go Dogs
Where is your evidence? Dwz was signed on good coin not minimum as he was an International player.Two Dicks in hand again

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Nah your abbaccas is missing a few beads.

Cogger low $200s
Meaney low $200s
Kotoa - don't know.
DWZ - $350 to $400
CHN - $350.
Britt - $150 to $200

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay is gone now... it's become the next coaches problem courtesy of the board

2021 is going to be crappola, I hope a rival ticket is formed prior to the elections

#eggonfaces
Whose going to be part of a rival ticket seriously?? The same people that left the club in tatters due to their mis-management??

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whose going to be part of a rival ticket seriously?? The same people that left the club in tatters due to their mis-management??
and what the current mob are doing a bang up job?