Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Should the bulldogs make Reynolds priority number one target for 2022?

• Total voters

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So we have all heard we have $3m to spend on players for next year right?
Sounds like a lot, but when u consider we have 11 players off contract and so need to sign 9-11 players to make up the minimum squad numbers there’s not a lot of money really.
Would you spend 600k on three name players and spend the remaining $1.2m on 6-8 average players on 140- 200k each ?

Off contract

Jack Cogger, Adam Elliott, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Morgan Harper, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Aiden Tolman, Brandon Wakeham

That’s five forwards and 6 backs to retain or replace .

Up front I would retain Adam Elliot , RFM , Sue and buy one big name and one on minimum or there about.

In the backs I would retain wakeham only.
I would go after two big names and three on minimum .
Hastings
Christian Welch
Josh ado Carr
Nick cotric
Alex Johnston
Harry grant
Resign Foran
Let Elliot go, bring CHN back in.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hastings
Christian Welch
Josh ado Carr
Nick cotric
Alex Johnston
Harry grant
Resign Foran
Let Elliot go, bring CHN back in.
1.Averillo
2.JAC
3.DWZ
4.cotric
5.hoppa
6.Foran
7.hastings
8.tomaga
9.grant
10.napa
11.jackson
12.CHN
13.thompson
14.JMK
15.welch
16.britt
17.stimson
That’s my top 8 team and every player is available. harry Grant will come for $500000.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fitstly I would address our major weaknesses amongst our roster.

Our first priority should be dummy half and Harry Grant fits the bill!

Other priority positions is in our halves and I see a big future for Matt Burton as our long term five eight.

These two have major talent and if I was in recruitment at the Dogs I would be offering both players lucrative long term contracts because we can build our future roster around them!

Once the Dogs finally let Tolman go I would sign Issac Liu from the Roosters to fill Tolmans void, the guy is fast, elusive, eats plenty of metres and can play football, he has a good step and soft hands.

To solve our backline dilemas I would sign these players who are young and exceptional talent:

Scott Drinkwater or Alex Johnston to play fullback if we cant get either of them fully develop Averillo to be our long term option at fullback

Bradman Best or Stephen Crighton to play centre

Xavier Coates on the wing to replace Christian Crighton once we punt him

The Dogs really need to forgive CHN and sign him back into our roster because the guy is dynamic in the backrow and it would be sad to see another club capitalise on our clubs misfortune.

I would seriously develop and transition Lachlan Lewis into a forward preferably lock because he is talented but isn’t a halfbacks or 5/8s arsehole!

these are my thoughts on whereI would start to fix our rosters biggest weaknesses.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tariq Sims.
Korbin Sims.
Addin Fanoua Blake.
Harry Grant.
Latrel Mitchell.
Josh Ado Carr.

Don’t say contract a contract means shit these aka Klemer.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Tariq Sims.
Korbin Sims.
Addin Fanoua Blake.
Harry Grant.
Latrel Mitchell.
Josh Ado Carr.

Don’t say contract a contract means shit these aka Klemer.
must be a gee up surely, only players from that list would be grant and Ado

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably going to be a point of conjecture, however I think our forward pack should be the starting point for any recruitment. It needs a complete overhaul. They are all having a dig however Napa, Tolman, Elliot, Jmk just don't have the skill level to bend or bust the line open.

We need to be realistic with targets. There is not much talent on the market plus I don't see Harry grant coming to the dogs nor Friend as I think roosters will keep him. However I think Fifita could be a real possibility if the price is right. Either way he's the last big fish that's off contract and one we should be going hard for. Get him and others will follow.

We should also be doing our best to get CHN back. With a bit of luck the club has stayed in contact and Lynne dearest hasn't completely thrown him under a bus.

The key to this is skillset which includes natural talent, fitness, mental and physical strength and experience.

8.Thompson
9. MCCULLOUGH / FRIEND
10. BROMWICH
11. FIFITA
12. CHN
13. Jackson

Note: Bromwich has a 2 year PO at the storm but with everything going on down in vic the time might be right for a move.

Fifita, CHN and Thompson would have most defences rattled

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a bad list but Korbin is on struggle street. Our forwards aren’t too bad at full strength even halves showed some promise on the weekend. A strike centre and a hooker. The rest is negotiate.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably going to be a point of conjecture, however I think our forward pack should be the starting point for any recruitment. It needs a complete overhaul. They are all having a dig however Napa, Tolman, Elliot, Jmk just don't have the skill level to bend or bust the line open.

We need to be realistic with targets. There is not much talent on the market plus I don't see Harry grant coming to the dogs nor Friend as I think roosters will keep him. However I think Fifita could be a real possibility if the price is right. Either way he's the last big fish that's off contract and one we should be going hard for. Get him and others will follow.

We should also be doing our best to get CHN back. With a bit of luck the club has stayed in contact and Lynne dearest hasn't completely thrown him under a bus.

The key to this is skillset which includes natural talent, fitness, mental and physical strength and experience.

8.Thompson
9. MCCULLOUGH / FRIEND
10. BROMWICH
11. FIFITA
12. CHN
13. Jackson

Note: Bromwich has a 2 year PO at the storm but with everything going on down in vic the time might be right for a move.

Fifita, CHN and Thompson would have most defences rattled
The biggest problem with the players you want to recruit ( other than Thompson and CHN ) is that they are all getting on in years and if the club is serious about our future we need to recruit exceptionally talented youthful players to take us into the future not retire after 3 seasons with us. Yes we need a few old heads and experience but we already have those players with Jackson, Hopoate etc we need to think ten years ahead not two otherwise we will find ourselves in the same predicament we are in now!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Vaea Fifita. 28 year old backrower from Hurricanes. 12 caps with All Blacks.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I seen he was posting up messages of support on the clubs Instagram page I wonder how he would go in league I haven't seen much of him in union to comment on him
Honestly I'd never heard of him until today. We have stumbled on signings via the Dogs Insta a few times now. This could possibly be something, likely nothing.

Would be worth it getting to see the blow up when people see Dogs sign Fifita headlines only for it to be some Rugby bloke.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cotric
Johnson

Would be great signings.. and look good in the blue an white ad well, these two a must..!!
I agree. A revamped backline with;
1. Hughes / Averillo
2. Johnston / Katoa
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. Addo-Carr / Johnston
6. Averillo / recruit ?
Would be pretty exciting... Big wingers are still important but with the 6 again rule you honestly don't really need them as badly, one quick dash and a legs tackle on a small bloke and they don't let you play the ball it's a similar advantage.
I just want pure speed so we don't waste opportunities anymore

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fitstly I would address our major weaknesses amongst our roster.

Our first priority should be dummy half and Harry Grant fits the bill!

Other priority positions is in our halves and I see a big future for Matt Burton as our long term five eight.

These two have major talent and if I was in recruitment at the Dogs I would be offering both players lucrative long term contracts because we can build our future roster around them!

Once the Dogs finally let Tolman go I would sign Issac Liu from the Roosters to fill Tolmans void, the guy is fast, elusive, eats plenty of metres and can play football, he has a good step and soft hands.

To solve our backline dilemas I would sign these players who are young and exceptional talent:

Scott Drinkwater or Alex Johnston to play fullback if we cant get either of them fully develop Averillo to be our long term option at fullback

Bradman Best or Stephen Crighton to play centre

Xavier Coates on the wing to replace Christian Crighton once we punt him

The Dogs really need to forgive CHN and sign him back into our roster because the guy is dynamic in the backrow and it would be sad to see another club capitalise on our clubs misfortune.

I would seriously develop and transition Lachlan Lewis into a forward preferably lock because he is talented but isn’t a halfbacks or 5/8s arsehole!

these are my thoughts on whereI would start to fix our rosters biggest weaknesses.
Very good call on Isaac Liu, dude is severely underrated, Roosters would have to release him though as I think he's only available in 2022 from memory

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's so frustrating how the club gets beat out for every off contract player. We could easily come out of this year with Mahoney, Cotric, Hastings and Johnson and resigning Foran for an additional year if they pulled their finger out.

1. Hopoate
2. Johnson
3. Cotric
4. Averillo
5. DWZ
6. Foran
7. Hastings
8. Napa
9. Mahoney
10. To'omaga
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Thompson

14. Wakeham
15. Ogden
16. Britt
17. Stimson

Thats easily a top 8 side. Johnson and Hastings are the easiest signings the club could make. Cotric and Mahoney are both realistic due to our cap space and we should be able to easily outbid their respective teams for two of the brightest talents in the comp. Money talks.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I'd never heard of him until today. We have stumbled on signings via the Dogs Insta a few times now. This could possibly be something, likely nothing.

Would be worth it getting to see the blow up when people see Dogs sign Fifita headlines only for it to be some Rugby bloke.
It would be worth it if he brought Jordie Barrett along with him. He’d solve our fullback woes instantly

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Very good call on Isaac Liu, dude is severely underrated, Roosters would have to release him though as I think he's only available in 2022 from memory
Well they are chasing David Fifita so they need to free up some cash to sign him... oh wait we are talking about the Rorters here so that doesn’t apply to them with bottomless salary cap they have over there lol

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Life long Doggies Supporter here.
Feeling the Pain like the rest of y’all.

Some players off contract I would be trying to lure to put some bite back into the Doggies for 2021 and an outside the square selection for a new coaching regime.
Jesse Bromwich
Brandon Smith
Alex Johnson
Jackson Hastings
*Nick Cotric
Connor Watson
James Tamou
Matt Burton
Tristan Sailor
I don’t think We’d have to pay any of these players ridiculous money to get them here and I think it covers all the things we lack.

Coaches- The Walker Brothers
I’d sign Foran for another year and try getting CHN back also.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Said for a long time now Canterbury need to purchase this guy,natural centre unlike cotric,offer this guy a decent contract and bring Martin or Burton with him,where got cash to spend bring talented kids in,

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We should give this kid the number 7 jumper full time. He’s playing his second game and it’s like his been playing for years has confidence, speed, age, defence, most importantly age.

We need to sign this kid ASAP.

Jai Feild

Last edited: