Recruitment Priorities

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Burton & JAC coming we need to focus on recruiting a hooker & 2 experienced props..

Letting Napa leave is a no brainer..

Tamou & Ryan James would have been good pickups in the offseason..

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At bare minimum a prop and hooker and probably a centre if they don’t think Schoup is the answer. I believe we are only a couple of players short of being very competitive. Allan has been very underwhelming so far. Meaney produced more in 30 minutes than Allan. Reputation aside Hoppa should be nowhere near first grade anymore. Far too slow in attack and defence. All his hit ups are lame. He is safe at fullback and that’s it. Tui Katoa offers nothing which I already knew watching him coming through the grades. Avo has improved his defence but has a long way to go but overall may be a better option than Hoppa as a centre. Now that Burton is unlikely to come this year I would promote Schoup to top 30 and give him a go. Would be no worse than Hoppa. I have watched Deitz for many years . Very good dummy half runner but a bit of a speed bump in defence and that is why he hadn’t played NRL. Got steamrolled twice against Knights and a couple of times against Panthers in NSW CUP. It won’t take long for him to be howled down about his defence. Flanagan’s long kicking game too predictable. Milfords kicks killed us on the weekend. He needs a crash course in how to put up a spiral bomb. I don’t want Lewis back in the team but unfortunately we might not have any other options if we need to change it up. None of our NSW Cup outside backs are in the top 30 except Katoa, and we all saw what he brings to the table. Not NRL standard.

Malla

Reaction score
We desperately need a world class prop along with a few other good props for depth. Our first 3 games we have been absolutely ripped apart through the middle. Our yardage is shit house from the forwards too.

Am not too fussed on the hooker as yet, I think the front row and bench needs addressing first. Can see why we tried bringing Leniu over. And I know Napa has been total shit, but you can see why Baz was reluctant to move him early - we have literally nobody!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Burton & JAC coming we need to focus on recruiting a hooker & 2 experienced props..

Letting Napa leave is a no brainer..

Tamou & Ryan James would have been good pickups in the offseason..
We should get Marty Taupau and Bunty Afoa for next year or Su'a from the Bunnies and chase James Fisher-Harris for 2023 when we have DWZ's decent money available. Definitely need 2 hard running, hard hitting forwards for 2022.

At the end of this year we can shed Napa, Ogden, Atoni, Britt., Raumanos, and C. Smith

Malla

Reaction score
At bare minimum a prop and hooker and probably a centre if they don’t think Schoup is the answer. I believe we are only a couple of players short of being very competitive. Allan has been very underwhelming so far. Meaney produced more in 30 minutes than Allan. Reputation aside Hoppa should be nowhere near first grade anymore. Far too slow in attack and defence. All his hit ups are lame. He is safe at fullback and that’s it. Tui Katoa offers nothing which I already knew watching him coming through the grades. Avo has improved his defence but has a long way to go but overall may be a better option than Hoppa as a centre. Now that Burton is unlikely to come this year I would promote Schoup to top 30 and give him a go. Would be no worse than Hoppa. I have watched Deitz for many years . Very good dummy half runner but a bit of a speed bump in defence and that is why he hadn’t played NRL. Got steamrolled twice against Knights and a couple of times against Panthers in NSW CUP. It won’t take long for him to be howled down about his defence. Flanagan’s long kicking game too predictable. Milfords kicks killed us on the weekend. He needs a crash course in how to put up a spiral bomb. I don’t want Lewis back in the team but unfortunately we might not have any other options if we need to change it up. None of our NSW Cup outside backs are in the top 30 except Katoa, and we all saw what he brings to the table. Not NRL standard.
You can have the best backs in the world but if the forward pack is shit house it doesn't matter.

In years gone by we have had average backs but great forward packs hence why we've been able to win games against teams with much, much better backs than us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tamou has been average this season. He's well past his best. We absolutely need a hooker, two props and two edge second rowers minimum. Hopefully we can sign something like:

Daryl Clark (550k)
Paul Vaughan/Marty Taupau (500k)
Ryan Matterson (650k)
Emre Guler (300k)

Gives us experienced players with size, skill and they're all athletic. Make up the rest of the signings with cheap juniors and near minimum players...

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You can have the best backs in the world but if the forward pack is shit house it doesn't matter.

In years gone by we have had average backs but great forward packs hence why we've been able to win games against teams with much, much better backs than us.
Agree. I should have added that as well

Malla

Reaction score
Tamou has been average this season. He's well past his best. We absolutely need a hooker, two props and two edge second rowers minimum. Hopefully we can sign something like:

Daryl Clark (550k)
Ryan Matterson (650k)
Emre Guler (300k)

Gives us experienced players with size, skill and they're all athletic. Make up the rest of the signings with cheap juniors and near minimum players...
Disagree on Tamou. His average is still miles and miles ahead of the best we got in our forward pack lol.

He's still a great player and would have been a good signing for us. We have Napa and Ogden lol then the great Atoni off the bench.. what a pack

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Daryl Clark (550k)
Ryan Matterson (650k)
Emre Guler (300k)

Guler just extended at the Raiders.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We should be all over Toby Rudolf until he re-signs at the Sharks. He's the best prop available by far and has upside unlike Taupau/Vaughan who're on the decline.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are in urgent need of a hooker and forwards first and foremost. If we can get 3 signings from the list below, we will be competitive.

Hooker: Smith or Clarke
Forwards: Taupau, Tamou
Second row: Matterson

We also need some backs.
Backs: Hynes, Nene MacDonald

We should only renew Atoni, Okunbor& Ogden for depth in NSW cup. We need to promote Alamoti, Schoupp, BBO, Topine & Deitz to our top 30 squad.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Disagree on Tamou. His average is still miles and miles ahead of the best we got in our forward pack lol.

He's still a great player and would have been a good signing for us. We have Napa and Ogden lol then the great Atoni off the bench.. what a pack
Our pack is horrible no doubt and we need experience but Tamou is averaging 70 metres in 45 minutes a game so far and hasn't looked very good at the Tigers as he did playing in a great Panthers pack.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Guler just extended at the Raiders.
I know.. But they have Sutton, James, Papalii, Horse and Tapine that all play in the middle and he's stuck in reserves.

Reactions: GDR

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't impressed with Taupau's last game though wouldn't pull the trigger on him as yet..AND one of them not both "oldies" if we get 2 one will be shit it's murphy's law.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We should be all over Toby Rudolf until he re-signs at the Sharks. He's the best prop available by far and has upside unlike Taupau/Vaughan who're on the decline.
Wouldn't complain if we got Rudolph. He gets better every game. I reckon Cronulla will re-sign him though.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We arent going to get the very best props in the game right now.. with where we are at experienced improvements that can add leadership are the players we need to sign..

For that reason even if Tamou or Taupau arent going great.. they would be far better than what we have at moment.. either would add experience and leadership

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like how the Roosters in 2013 went to the ESL and recruited Sam Moa and Luke O'Donnell. Warriors got Murdoch-Masilla this year who's been one of the best players in the opening rounds.

I reckon there are some players who have gone over to the ESL, improved their game and are ready to have a second go at the NRL.

Chriso86

Waterboy
Reaction score
target rudolf and taupau if he's not wanted try snake him this year and sign 1 year for next, see what's off contract end of 22