Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Should the bulldogs make Reynolds priority number one target for 2022?

• Total voters

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Roberts was terrible at the Knights during their "spoon days". Definitely not what we need right now.

We need a seasoned Carney type player with vision and who can assist Foran controlling the other side of the field.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Watch this

and now this:

Jangala is being eyed as a future wallaby at the age of 18. Hows about a gigantic FUCK YOU to Castle.. the Dogs sign him up... Surely I'm not the only one who sees similarities between him and Ponga.

and whilst ripping into Rugbys talent pool, sign up 1.8m 104kg winger Leicester Faingaanuku. Parra were after him, and he's available after 2018 I believe.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watch this

and now this:

Jangala is being eyed as a future wallaby at the age of 18. Hows about a gigantic FUCK YOU to Castle.. the Dogs sign him up... Surely I'm not the only one who sees similarities between him and Ponga.

and whilst ripping into Rugbys talent pool, sign up 1.8m 104kg winger Leicester Faingaanuku. Parra were after him, and he's available after 2018 I believe.

These are the type of signings that we need to truly have a successful rebuild, players with superstar potential.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's fair to assume we're not going to be going after any big name players for next year but there's plenty of talent out there worth taking a punt on. All around the fringes of 1st grade or just starting out in 1sts and the opportunity of a pathway to or regular 1st grade should be tempting for them.
Keegan Hipgrave - tough and skilled can play edge and middle.
Kane Elgey - played around 50 games, defence isn't great but it's points we need.
Jamayne Issako - looks good so far this year and is a great goalkicker
Justin Olam - if it wasn't for Melbourne's depth he'd already be an established 1st grader.
Ryley Jacks - composed and a good kicking game
Tyrell Fuimaono - looked really good in 2017, injuries and depth has limited his 1st grade this year.
Rueben Garrick - Watched a few St George ISP and has been consistently good. Runs a great line.
Mitch Rein - hasn't been able to establish himself as a starting 9 since leaving the Dragons.

Obviously more names here than roster spots and along with retention of current players like Martin, these kind of signings in our current Cap predicament I think would be a good 1st step.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
These are the type of signings that we need to truly have a successful rebuild, players with superstar potential.
and this is the sort of thing either Warrrn McDonnell or Chris Anderson (who apparently has taken over recruitment) should be right onto.

Get out to the colleges, to the Rugby focussed schools, go find these sort of gems.

Instead we are trying to shop through everyone elses juniors.

It's fair to assume we're not going to be going after any big name players for next year but there's plenty of talent out there worth taking a punt on. All around the fringes of 1st grade or just starting out in 1sts and the opportunity of a pathway to or regular 1st grade should be tempting for them.
Hipgrave is being targeted by the Sharks. but you are right... fringe first graders with a bit of life left in them, combined with (like I mention above), juniors (even cross code), who show talent.

That way the juniors have someone to mentor and learn from as they start their careers.

I reckon that is where the key to success lays.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Keegan Hipgrave - tough and skilled can play edge and middle.
Kane Elgey - played around 50 games, defence isn't great but it's points we need.
Jamayne Issako - looks good so far this year and is a great goalkicker
Justin Olam - if it wasn't for Melbourne's depth he'd already be an established 1st grader.
Ryley Jacks - composed and a good kicking game
Tyrell Fuimaono - looked really good in 2017, injuries and depth has limited his 1st grade this year.
Rueben Garrick - Watched a few St George ISP and has been consistently good. Runs a great line.
Mitch Rein - hasn't been able to establish himself as a starting 9 since leaving the Dragons.

Obviously more names here than roster spots and along with retention of current players like Martin, these kind of signings in our current Cap predicament I think would be a good 1st step.
Would love Fuimaono and Hipgrave.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
and this is the sort of thing either Warrrn McDonnell or Chris Anderson (who apparently has taken over recruitment) should be right onto.

Get out to the colleges, to the Rugby focussed schools, go find these sort of gems.

Instead we are trying to shop through everyone elses juniors.

Hipgrave is being targeted by the Sharks. but you are right... fringe first graders with a bit of life left in them, combined with (like I mention above), juniors (even cross code), who show talent.

That way the juniors have someone to mentor and learn from as they start their careers.

I reckon that is where the key to success lays.
Agreed, we have some talent coming through and have previously been able to identify and develop talent. The two flegg kids that played on the right edge last week in ISP looked good. It's got to be a patient rebuild or the same thing will happen in a few years down the track.
Look at the 2004 team, mostly juniors with some players signed to the bulldogs early in their careers such as Patten, Tonga, Ryan, Anasta, O'Meley. It'll work again, just needs some time and patience... and the right people identifying and developing the talent.

Last edited:

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Over the years there have been players who have been gifted second, third and even fourth chances at redemption back into rugby league.

With our cap in "dire straights" and a lack of quality backs, would you be comfortable and willing to give Tim Simona a second chance here at the Bulldogs?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Over the years there have been players who have been gifted second, third and even fourth chances at redemption back into rugby league.

With our cap in "dire straights" and a lack of quality backs, would you be comfortable and willing to give Tim Simona a second chance here at the Bulldogs?
the guy defrauded charities.. Scum of the earth ..that should do it for me.. but further to that, we have enough centres who cant defend ..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Forget Simona.. he ain't coming back any time soon.

At the time of Simona's sanction, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg refused to use the term ''life ban'', although he did suggest there were no plans to bring him back.
''Based on the evidence that we have identified, it is very hard to imagine that Tim Simona will be registered with the NRL at any time in the future,’’ Greenberg said on Friday.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we are being realistic and taking our new signings into consideration I can see the side looking like this next season:

1. Meaney
2. Crichton
3. Olive
4. Hopoate
5. Montoya
6. Foran
7. Cogger
8. Woods
9. JMK
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Tolman
15. Fualalo
16. To'omaga
17. Holland

But I'd like us to re-sign the Morris twins and piss off Hopoate, dump Montoya, Do anything you need to to get rid of Foran, and find a way to offload Tolman.

Then we need to target the following:

Fuimaono: Tough, strong and skillful player that can be to us what Jack Bird was to the Sharks when they won it.
Hipgrave: A good solid player that can come off the bench and provide great impact.
Hastings: I still think DCE had a lot to do with it not working out at Manly and I think that he would a good pickup for us, he has a really good kicking game, something we lack.
Radley/Brailey: Both teams have fan favourite established hookers already, get in the ear of either Blayke Brailey or Victor Radley's agent and tell them that they have a guaranteed starting position at our club and make either the Sharks or Roosters choose which one of there hookers they want which will unsettle the other and then we have the chance to sign a quality hooker either way.

1. Meaney
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Fuimaono
5. Crichton
6. Hastings
7. Cogger
8. Woods
9. Radley/Brailey
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. To'omaga

14. Hipgrave
15. Fualalo
16. Ogden
17. Lewis

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the guy defrauded charities.. Scum of the earth ..that should do it for me.. but further to that, we have enough centres who cant defend ..
Being offered a lifeline by Gus for the panfers apparently. Personally I'm with you, I don't think he should be allowed back in the game after that horrible charity scam but it is what it is. If you can play footy, unless you murder someone the nrl will welcome you back with open arms

Reactions: GDR

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hastings is heading to ESL... as good as gone and it sounds like Shaun Lane is following him.

Being offered a lifeline by Gus for the panfers apparently. Personally I'm with you, I don't think he should be allowed back in the game after that horrible charity scam but it is what it is. If you can play footy, unless you murder someone the nrl will welcome you back with open arms
Gus has explicitly stated it is not to play in the NRL. Simona wants to get involved with the youth training side of things. Youth and Community ambassador for the Panthers... something like that. Would I trust my kid aruond that scum... NO WAY!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we are being realistic and taking our new signings into consideration I can see the side looking like this next season:

1. Meaney
2. Crichton
3. Olive
4. Hopoate
5. Montoya
6. Foran
7. Cogger
8. Woods
9. JMK
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Tolman
15. Fualalo
16. To'omaga
17. Holland

But I'd like us to re-sign the Morris twins and piss off Hopoate, dump Montoya, Do anything you need to to get rid of Foran, and find a way to offload Tolman.

Then we need to target the following:

Fuimaono: Tough, strong and skillful player that can be to us what Jack Bird was to the Sharks when they won it.
Hipgrave: A good solid player that can come off the bench and provide great impact.
Hastings: I still think DCE had a lot to do with it not working out at Manly and I think that he would a good pickup for us, he has a really good kicking game, something we lack.
Radley/Brailey: Both teams have fan favourite established hookers already, get in the ear of either Blayke Brailey or Victor Radley's agent and tell them that they have a guaranteed starting position at our club and make either the Sharks or Roosters choose which one of there hookers they want which will unsettle the other and then we have the chance to sign a quality hooker either way.

1. Meaney
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Fuimaono
5. Crichton
6. Hastings
7. Cogger
8. Woods
9. Radley/Brailey
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. To'omaga

14. Hipgrave
15. Fualalo
16. Ogden
17. Lewis
Radley re-signed till 2023 today.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hastings is heading to ESL... as good as gone and it sounds like Shaun Lane is following him.

Gus has explicitly stated it is not to play in the NRL. Simona wants to get involved with the youth training side of things. Youth and Community ambassador for the Panthers... something like that. Would I trust my kid aruond that scum... NO WAY!!
I hope you're right. He should never be allowed to play a professional sport ever again for what he did. But I've got a feeling he'll be back sooner or later

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How is it Dog shit ? No pun intended. Forwards win matches and your pack is not worthy of equal last.
Forwards don't win matches, forwards put you in position to win matches and your backs win them. We get into position to win them but our backs don't deliver. Sadly it is really as simple as that. It is the reason why we couldn't win either GF in the last 6 years. Our backs couldn't get us over the line.