Recent quotes from Raelene Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This article was posted a few weeks ago before the warriors game. It was a combined interview with the CEO’s of both clubs.

I haven’t posted the whole thing as it is really long, just some quotes from Castle as to the direction of the club.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...e-and-jim-doyle-examine-the-state-of-the-game

As figures in rugby league go, few wield as much influence or command the same respect as New Zealand Warriors managing director Jim Doyle or Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle.

Take the Bulldogs and Des Hasler. A premiership winner at Manly, he's yet to do the same for Canterbury, whose last title came back in 2004. Already this season there has been a story suggesting Hasler has to win it this time or he's gone.

"He's been there four years and we've made the top-eight all of those years and been in two grand finals. We're the only team to make two grand finals in the last four years. What do you think?," Castle said.

Doyle was many people's favourite to assume Smith's position, but continues to say he's not interested. Castle might be, though.

Castle's answer was also no. At least for now.

"I've just got some unfinished business at the Bulldogs, so ask me in a couple of years' time and I might have a different answer," she said.

That's not to winning a premiership, apparently, and Doyle reckons that's not his measure of success at the Warriors either. Funny, you'd think that was the sole purpose of every rugby league club.

"For us it's really about developing a meaningful community programme. The club have such a big voice that it can genuinely change people's lives," Castle said.

Literacy, numeracy, nutrition, all sorts. Rugby league folk are out there aiding schools and pushing positive message to a wide range of groups.

Over at the Bulldogs, Castle likes to think she's doing a good job, but she doesn't kid herself about what underpins any of the club's achievements and who's driving that.

"It's a complex story but there's no doubt that the coach and the football programme are key to that. You can't change that.

"You can have really good people off the field and the best CEO and the best commercial people and the best community people in the world and if you haven't got a football coach that knows what they're doing, that's a really difficult thing to do.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If Raelene wants to change peoples lives why doesn't she.. I dunno, start a charity or something. Hijacking our club for humanitarian reasons is not what her job is.

I feel like going into a coma until Raelene and Des are fkn gone.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I tried to give her a chance but she is just another fucking moron using us to further her career.

Bulldogs exist to win Premierships you fuckwit.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I tried to give her a chance but she is just another fucking moron using us to further her career.

Remember how long Iv been saying this, now all the flops that were saying I'm wrong are in hiding.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

"I've just got some unfinished business at the Bulldogs, so ask me in a couple of years' time and I might have a different answer," she said.

Pretty much just came out and said it, the clubs lost the plot hiring these *****.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
And for the PC *****, I'm not attacking her because she is a woman, I'm attacking her because she has no fucking idea why football teams exist.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Remember how long Iv been saying this, now all the flops that were saying I'm wrong are in hiding.
I believe she said it was her priority. Again her job is to run the business side of the club. The football side of the club is run by Des. That side of the club is where winning premierships is and should be a priority.

I know it may be hard to believe but a club with as many employees as us is capable of doing two things at once!!!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I believe she said it was her priority. Again her job is to run the business side of the club. The football side of the club is run by Des. That side of the club is where winning premierships is and should be a priority.

I know it may be hard to believe but a club with as many employees as us is capable of doing two things at once!!!!
Thanks for your feedback :p

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score

This I have to agree with, a business can't have every area focussed on only one thing or it will fall over completely. Ralene is the CEO, that is a business role (even if it is for a sports club) and her focus has to be the business side and the club in the community. Her KPI's cannot (and should not) be the same as Des and the coaching staff (their main priority should be winning the competition).

The reason our club and board are not a basket case like Parra, Manly, Tigers etc. is because they rightly (in todays world) keep them separate. Things are very different in the sports business world than they were back in Bullfrogs day.

I am not saying she is definitely the right person for the job, but you need to look at these roles and their focus from a business point of view and not a fans point of view if you want to correctly understand why certain things are the way they are. If you want to succeed you must adapt and change, while the Bullfrog model was extremely successful for us back in his day, it would not work in todays business world. Look at the Broncos, they make so much money cause their CEO looks after the business and leaves the football side completely to Bennett (and the couple of plodders they had as coach in between)

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I was straight on to it, women in positions of high power) become like Hitlers .

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Well her title as the Bulldogs CEO is false and misleading if all she does is revenue.

Nobody wants to hear her dribble.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And for the PC *****, I'm not attacking her because she is a woman, I'm attacking her because she has no fucking idea why football teams exist.
We know mate. Don't worry, most of us (myself included) don't give a damn about political crapness.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well her title as the Bulldogs CEO is false and misleading if all she does is revenue.

Nobody wants to hear her dribble.
That is the position the board wanted. CEO is a title but her PD describes her responsibilities. Not every CEO has the same duties. This is the model we use, and it overall seems to be working quite well but is far from perfect.

You are right though she does talk some dribble. Wish she was more selective in what she says in public.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We know mate. Don't worry, most of us (myself included) don't give a damn about political crapness.
Well thats a shame i was going to invite you out for some vegan cruelty free ice cream , that was made by Himalayan mountain lesbians,wrapped by Mongolian transsexual lion tamers . Distributed by blind sexual abused croation children.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

That's bullshit.
CEO's have to be across everything.
She would have a business management team, that would be responsible for the business side, just like the coaching staff are responsible for the footy side. CEO is responsible for ensuring all divisions are meeting their targets. Is the footy team meeting its targets ?
That's why she gets paid the big bucks. If she can't handle it she can fuck off.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
The internet is a good and a bad thing. Good in that it is entertaining and informative and bad that it provides a platform for every sad person with a keyboard to rubbish others. I really don't know Raelene Castle but I do know that based on those quotes I cannot disagree with what she said. NRL is fighting for market share with AFL. If you know what's happening with AFL then you will know that they are spending millions in the community via junior clubs and community organisations and it is working for them. They have already converted thousands of kids in the Sydney area. Long term if you want a rugby league club called the Bulldogs you have to be prepared to win this off field battle as well. Every fan wants to win the premiership and she acknowledged that. She and the club sought out the best coach, built the best facilities and provided solid support for the players. At the end of the day the players are responsible for their own performance.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's bullshit.
CEO's have to be across everything.
She would have a business management team, that would be responsible for the business side, just like the coaching staff are responsible for the footy side. CEO is responsible for ensuring all divisions are meeting their targets. Is the footy team meeting its targets ?
That's why she gets paid the big bucks. If she can't handle it she can fuck off.
Hasler and the football department answer to the Board and the Chairman not the CEO.

Don't know if she can handle it all or not but THIS is what she was hired for.

It is not her job to handle the football.

Status
Not open for further replies.