Rebuilding the Bulldogs

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Getting really sick to death of every man and his camel here having half naked opinions. So I thought I'd suck up my shyness and crates a thread about getting the Bulldogs on track and how to do it.

I was speaking to Gene who is a Roosters supporter and he asked me what I think Makes Robinson a master coach. I answered 'balance'. It's something that he shares with both Bellamy and Stuart (Stuart learnt from his mid 2010s days) and its what the dogs don't have and it makes me cringe when I hear ppl thirsty for random wingers and such for us.

So I'm going to provide a blueprint. I have to declare Holland exempt because of all the controversy surrounding him so I'll leave him out for now.

Firstly, we have our pillars of the team:

Jackson- a robust toiler (lets call them group A) who fights hard. Makes tackles and generally puts his body out there. Every team needs this type. We have it. But it isn't some gold rare diamond. But it's good no less.

Foran- a premium well rounded number 7. Lets just leave injuries aside right now.

Thompson- untested, but a super athlete taht can go 80 mins and do some zip here and there.
So we now have a skeleton Ideal blue print of this;

1. Attacking and supportive fullback
2. Tall winger
3. Strike/big centre
4. Defensive oriented centre
5. Big Hit ups winger
6. Attacking 5/8
7. Foran (organisational/attacking)
8. Big black prop
9. Fast energetic hooker.
10. Thompson
11. Attacking second row
12. Jackson
13. *TBA* on strategy.

lets compare it to the balance we have now
1. Fast one dimensional ex winger
2. Fast small winger
3. Skillful Ball playing centre
4. Ex winger one dimensional centre
5. Safe winger
6. Defensive 5/8
7. Foran
8. Toil group A prop
9. Fast once dimensional hooker
10. Defensive prop
11. Jackson toiler
12. Vacant
13. Toiler
Now we can see from the above that Hoppa And a few others aren't right for the team. The balance is all wrong.

we can use DWZ as a winger, as we can Reimis Smith.

we need some size to counter the smaller forwards we have and have punch. Same in the centres.

JMK I think might work with the new 6 again rule.

I also think we should enquire about Milford. He's on a lot of money and broncos are going to be in panic mode to change rosters after their belting.

so a team like this I propose;

1. Milford
2. DWZ
3. Josh Morris (lets suck him balls deep to return)
4. Cotric
5. Smith
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Kieran Foran
8. TPJ
9. JMK
10. Thompson
11. Bateman
12. Jackson
13. Michael Chee Kam

14 averillo
15 Napa
16 Toomaga
17 packer

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bulldogs of old had a style of play that worked, and was effective. Newcomers could simply slot into the team and follow the play. Every player understood their role, and understood their team mates' roles. They worked together, so it didn't matter if a player was injured or suspended, because there was always someone who could pick up the role and play. They didn't need superstars, but they sure made them.

A

Alexander the Great

Decent squad. I would be happy that field that team but In 2 to 3 years foz and Reynolds are bust.

Who takes their spots?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bulldogs of old had a style of play that worked, and was effective. Newcomers could simply slot into the team and follow the play. Every player understood their role, and understood their team mates' roles. They worked together, so it didn't matter if a player was injured or suspended, because there was always someone who could pick up the role and play. They didn't need superstars, but they sure made them.
You've actually Kind of said my point in a staggered step way. Not quite the same but conducive to the point.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if id be looking at Milford, Morris, Reynolds or Bateman (only due to current injury and requested $$) but I agree in what your putting down.

Milford looks so dis-interested its not funny, maybe he does need a change of clubs and would do the world of good. He's such an X factor when he's on and would be great, theres something about him. If we were looking at him in any way it would be half of what hes on for sure, the way hes been playing for the last couple years doesn't match his contract.

Morris and Reynolds have done their time here, will only take us backwards imo.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to ransack the Roosters, just like they ransacked us with Willie, Anasta, O'Mealey, etc

2021 sees the following off contract
- James Tedesco
- Luke Keary
- Sam Verrills
- Daniel Tupou

Make the 1 & 7 an offer they cannot refuse

Spudowsky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
One of our biggest issues is keeping the same halves on the park. We have used something like 20+ halves combos in the past 2-3 years. Foran and Reynolds will be injured half the time, Morris has a year or two at best left in him. Milford is too inconsistent. JMK has had enough time to show us what he's got and he is one of the worst dummy halves in the comp. We need to stick with Wakeham give him time to grow and mature, hopefully Foran stays fit and can teach him the ropes.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tupou is a dogs fan and a junior, make a play for him. Should never of let him go.
Brent Naden is a gun centre not sure why he’s been axed from panthers?
Cotric another gun outside back breaks tackles like they’re nothing.
Make a play for harry Grant!
Not a lot of experienced halves that are off contract and or wanting to change clubs.
So averillo at 5/8 with wakeham at half.
Molo is off contract, forward rotation of Thompson Napa molo To omaga and Ogden.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Munster - fullback, Keary - five-eighth, Brandon Smith - hooker and Thompson - prop and we're good to go.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tupou is a dogs fan and a junior, make a play for him. Should never of let him go.
Brent Naden is a gun centre not sure why he’s been axed from panthers?
Cotric another gun outside back breaks tackles like they’re nothing.
Make a play for harry Grant!
Not a lot of experienced halves that are off contract and or wanting to change clubs.
So averillo at 5/8 with wakeham at half.
Molo is off contract, forward rotation of Thompson Napa molo To omaga and Ogden.
Brent was dropped because of his performance in round 2. Panthers have a high opinion of him I’m sure they will want to keep him, just giving him a bit of a kick

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know it is not and hasn't been a quick fix. Honestly believe we need more experience in the squad. I heard Trent Robinson in his press conference last night talk about needing experienced players in the team and the right mix. I believe he was talking about the Morris Brothers. In my eyes we need an experienced forward, someone to be the leader of the pack. We need to resign Foran on a 1 year deal also an experienced back. Not sure where we get that but we need to start somewhere

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brent was dropped because of his performance in round 2. Panthers have a high opinion of him I’m sure they will want to keep him, just giving him a bit of a kick
Naden has always been a good attacking player whether fb or centre - at times his defence was a Brenko Lee / John Olive standard - he will need to be good to displace Chrichton at Penrith.

In the context of rebuilding think a team needs a good three player spine - fullback, dummy half and a half (half or 5/8) - as opposed to having four dominating players. three on the fiels at all times should be enough to dominate - the non dominant half to be a running style of half with some genuine speed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i've known him for a few years he's a good kid, we should've got him a while back cause we had one of his mates in our sg side 2 or 3 years ago that he wanted to play with

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've known him for a few years he's a good kid, we should've got him a while back cause we had one of his mates in our sg side 2 or 3 years ago that he wanted to play with
Well if you know him, get him to call Pay, we only sign players that call us!

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Getting really sick to death of every man and his camel here having half naked opinions. So I thought I'd suck up my shyness and crates a thread about getting the Bulldogs on track and how to do it.

I was speaking to Gene who is a Roosters supporter and he asked me what I think Makes Robinson a master coach. I answered 'balance'. It's something that he shares with both Bellamy and Stuart (Stuart learnt from his mid 2010s days) and its what the dogs don't have and it makes me cringe when I hear ppl thirsty for random wingers and such for us.

So I'm going to provide a blueprint. I have to declare Holland exempt because of all the controversy surrounding him so I'll leave him out for now.

Firstly, we have our pillars of the team:

Jackson- a robust toiler (lets call them group A) who fights hard. Makes tackles and generally puts his body out there. Every team needs this type. We have it. But it isn't some gold rare diamond. But it's good no less.

Foran- a premium well rounded number 7. Lets just leave injuries aside right now.

Thompson- untested, but a super athlete taht can go 80 mins and do some zip here and there.
So we now have a skeleton Ideal blue print of this;

1. Attacking and supportive fullback
2. Tall winger
3. Strike/big centre
4. Defensive oriented centre
5. Big Hit ups winger
6. Attacking 5/8
7. Foran (organisational/attacking)
8. Big black prop
9. Fast energetic hooker.
10. Thompson
11. Attacking second row
12. Jackson
13. *TBA* on strategy.

lets compare it to the balance we have now
1. Fast one dimensional ex winger
2. Fast small winger
3. Skillful Ball playing centre
4. Ex winger one dimensional centre
5. Safe winger
6. Defensive 5/8
7. Foran
8. Toil group A prop
9. Fast once dimensional hooker
10. Defensive prop
11. Jackson toiler
12. Vacant
13. Toiler
Now we can see from the above that Hoppa And a few others aren't right for the team. The balance is all wrong.

we can use DWZ as a winger, as we can Reimis Smith.

we need some size to counter the smaller forwards we have and have punch. Same in the centres.

JMK I think might work with the new 6 again rule.

I also think we should enquire about Milford. He's on a lot of money and broncos are going to be in panic mode to change rosters after their belting.

so a team like this I propose;

1. Milford
2. DWZ
3. Josh Morris (lets suck him balls deep to return)
4. Cotric
5. Smith
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Kieran Foran
8. TPJ
9. JMK
10. Thompson
11. Bateman
12. Jackson
13. Michael Chee Kam

14 averillo
15 Napa
16 Toomaga
17 packer
Raid the Dragqueens:

Sailor, Saab, Billy Brittian and Aiken, would all come not as top $$.

Add that to Foran if he remains fit, Wakeham!

Now that’s a Spine and much needed center. Aiken needs a change, he is a gun!

Molo from cows.

Mate Packer is not worth the time you typed his name!

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too he lived with my Aunty and uncle while he played junior reps for Penrith, spent a few Christmas’ with him. Good to see him on fire last year, I’m sure he will be back doing the same soon. Might have to tell them to get in his ear about a move over here haha

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get Munster to our team Asap, plays tough and can break a game open. Being serious right now if with this salary cap and we go out and panic buy some super stars on 3 year
Contracts then I’ll be pissed, be ruthless let’s poach someone like we’ve been poached These last few years , klemmer, Barba etc

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Get Munster to our team Asap, plays tough and can break a game open. Being serious right now if with this salary cap and we go out and panic buy some super stars on 3 year
Contracts then I’ll be pissed, be ruthless let’s poach someone like we’ve been poached These last few years , klemmer, Barba etc
With how long it looks like (technically we could of signed players behind the scenes and it just hasn't come out yet, which I doubt with how everything gets leaked today) we've taken to get into the transfer market (bar Thompson) I'm really hoping this is our approach (aggressive towards contracted players) as it doesn't really start to make any sense waiting this long (there are still some good players off contract just not many of them and not in spine positions really). With Pay coming out recently (assuming he knows anything about recruitment) and saying we're going to be adding two to three more top players with the salary cap we're expected to have they'd have to be playing around the ~1m mark (your Munsters, Kearys and Brandon Smiths). Pay has also said before we're after a Pongalike, franchise player. After Ponga the next best thing is Munster. If we go out and buy a couple decent players but not in spine positions and than more opportunists and rejects I'm going to be pissed as well. We have the salary cap to do something special so no excuses.