Opinion Re building or re-buying ?

Dave0175

Waterboy
Reaction score
I would hate to lose the talented young guys We have here go to another club and become the best ever to pull on the boots
I hope it's a 1 off buy with maybe 1 other big buy for 2021

If we need to buy the comp than what sort of coach do we have ???

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have a few promising players coming through but it’s no where near enough to rely on that alone. We need to go into the player market with out a doubt.

Dave0175

Waterboy
Reaction score
We have a few promising players coming through but it’s no where near enough to rely on that alone. We need to go into the player market with out a doubt.
Sure, but we really need to not get cooked or Thurstoned again
Paying big money for a good coach to recognise this talent is so important for us right now
Particularly if we are cashed up and planning for 2021
I hope pay is that man or we will regret this in 5 years
Sadly I don't think he is

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Paying big money for a good coach to recognise this talent is so important for us right now
We are quite a few years off finding a JT or SBW especially since we have only just got our juniors going again. Pay won’t be here in 2020 let alone 2021

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about it too much because we don’t have any Thurston like players in the juniors. Don’t get me wrong there’s some talent but it’s not like there is a bumper crop coming through.
Pay will be back driving harness horses in 5 years time so he won’t be having a say.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis and reimis are must retain players imo. They need to stay because I have seen enough potential in them to be quality players of the future. If we don’t hold on to them Other teams will grab them.

Okunbor is another that should stick around and continue to develop.

The rest of the team I am not too sure.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dont care how we do it. I want premierships

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2002 rings a bell
If we didnt do 2002 we probaly would not have won in 2004. Basically same team on pay cuts.

I don't condone cheating but im not naive to think most preimership teams have not bent the rules.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All we want is success, and that’s lacking in every bloody way at the moment. So just get it done an give us fans something to Cheer about. We deserve it more than any other club. we are the BULLDOGS!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Without a decent coach to get the best out of those upcoming players, they'll forever be falling short.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we probably have a wishlist of staff as well as a few young players that we'd like to bring in. It's all good to say hire Andrew Johns to help halves coaching etc. But there are junior coaches at some clubs that can build the fundamental skills of every player. You see certain clubs that tend to be able to promote NRL ready players whenever they need to. We used to be a club that had staff at every level who knew their jobs and prepared players for the step up. In the past a guy like Okunbor would have had his handling errors ironed out before he was promoted. Greenberg decided that junior development wasn't a priority and let some great staff go.

It's not as easy to get these kind of development staff to break contracts as players. In time we'll acquire the right staff again. The fact that we've released some staff tells me that the process has begun. The new board is trying to get whole regions producing talent to bolster our junior ranks. In time it's hopefully going to pay dividends. I'd like to think we'll be able to scalp staff from some of the junior development hubs like Keebra park etc who tend to produce great schoolboy talent rather than just trying to scalp the youngsters they have a hand in developing. Alongside of that they can hopefully improve the coaching talent in our new junior nurseries.

For the moment we will need to recruit quality for the NRL squad. But I'd like to think we're going to return to being a club that produces the bulk of our roster in future.

It's a long path ahead for all of this to come to fruition.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Without a decent coach to get the best out of those upcoming players, they'll forever be falling short.
We suck !! Lol, plain an simple at the moment , no other way to put it . Shit house unless we get some professional people in needed positions.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we probably have a wishlist of staff as well as a few young players that we'd like to bring in. It's all good to say hire Andrew Johns to help halves coaching etc. But there are junior coaches at some clubs that can build the fundamental skills of every player. You see certain clubs that tend to be able to promote NRL ready players whenever they need to. We used to be a club that had staff at every level who knew their jobs and prepared players for the step up. In the past a guy like Okunbor would have had his handling errors ironed out before he was promoted. Greenberg decided that junior development wasn't a priority and let some great staff go.

It's not as easy to get these kind of development staff to break contracts as players. In time we'll acquire the right staff again. The fact that we've released some staff tells me that the process has begun. The new board is trying to get whole regions producing talent to bolster our junior ranks. In time it's hopefully going to pay dividends. I'd like to think we'll be able to scalp staff from some of the junior development hubs like Keebra park etc who tend to produce great schoolboy talent rather than just trying to scalp the youngsters they have a hand in developing. Alongside of that they can hopefully improve the coaching talent in our new junior nurseries.

For the moment we will need to recruit quality for the NRL squad. But I'd like to think we're going to return to being a club that produces the bulk of our roster in future.

It's a long path ahead for all of this to come to fruition.
“The new board is trying” this the start of one of your sentences stood out to me.
I am sure that the new board desperately want to improve the team’s performance, but who exactly are we talking about when we say “the new board”

Is it Lynn & Chris Anderson? Are there other members of the board who are active in player recruitment and retention? If so, it would be nice to know who and what makes them better judges in regard to player talent identification and how to build a better team for the future than say Andrew Farrar who they just sacked??

Or does the head coach Dean Pay have a free hand in building the squad that he wants, subject to sign off by the board of course. Seems unlikely as his job seems far from secure even for the rest of this season.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hate to lose the talented young guys We have here go to another club and become the best ever to pull on the boots
I hope it's a 1 off buy with maybe 1 other big buy for 2021

If we need to buy the comp than what sort of coach do we have ???
I lost you at

Talented young guys coming through....

If you consider

Morgan Harper
Wakeham
Elliot
Rhys Martin
Fualolo
Jmk
Lachlan Lewis

Talented... rather then investing in quality talent that’s across the comp.... dear O me...
Only one they need to worry about is Remis smith, only talented one that’s cone through

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I lost you at

Talented young guys coming through....

If you consider

Morgan Harper
Wakeham
Elliot
Rhys Martin
Fualolo
Jmk
Lachlan Lewis

Talented... rather then investing in quality talent that’s across the comp.... dear O me...
Only one they need to worry about is Remis smith, only talented one that’s cone through
Too many cones.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unfortunately we have nobody anywhere near Thurstons calibre coming through!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately we have nobody anywhere near Thurstons calibre coming through!
I haven't seen anyone of Thurston's calibre for at least 15 years, he was a once in decade player.

Go Dogs