Raymond Faitala-Mariner suddenly shapes as the ‘Next Big Thing’ of the Bulldogs pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raymond Faitala-Mariner suddenly shapes as the ‘Next Big Thing’ of the Bulldogs pack
  • 21 hours ago
  • by NICK WALSHAW
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph

RAYMOND Faitala-Mariner has no house.

No car.

Even had no bank account a few weeks back.

“But, yeah, I’ve sorted one now,’’ he laughs. “Medicare and superannuation, too.

“Although at first I was so confused ... my sisters or girlfriend usually help out with all that.”

While he may be unknown to most NRL fans, Faitala-Mariner is the young backrower who suddenly shapes as the ‘Next Big Thing’ of the Bulldogs pack.

An Auckland Warrior as recently as last month, the 22-year-old now finds himself at Belmore after the being traded for another rising star in backrower Shaun Lane.

Apart from being so new he doesn’t know the Bulldogs team song, Faitala-Mariner is also yet to sort out a car or housing.

It means that as well as having to walk 30 minutes every day to and from Belmore Oval, the young enforcer is also bunking down at a Bulldogs share house for U20s players.

“So I’m the oldest one there,’’ he grins. “But just for now.”

Raymond Faitala-Mariner. Picture. Phil HillyardSource:News Limited
Indeed, while his transition into the Bulldogs pack has been a success, Faitala-Mariner admits adapting off the field has been the real challenge.

Not only has the devout Christian left a large family behind in New Zealand, but also his girlfriend Stella.

But as for moving her over to Sydney any time soon?

“Ah, I’m fairly religious, so you have to be married first before you can live with your missus,’’ he grins.

“But maybe this is pushing the button, maybe I’ll have to pop the question ... (laughs) although mum might kill me.”

Asked about the surprise trade, which gave him just three days to completely change his life, Faitala-Mariner continued: “The first few days were hard. Real hard.

“I miss home. Miss my family.

“It’s been hard on my parents, too.

“But before leaving I had quite a few talks with my them. They just told me to be strong and remember my purpose for coming here, which is to give the Bulldogs my best.”

Dubbed ‘The Hammer’ because of his ferocious playing style, Faitala-Mariner revealed coach Des Hasler had first wanted to sign him in March, 2015.

“At the time I was still playing NSW Cup,’’ he recalls. “I couldn’t believe there was an NRL coach who was interested in a reserve grader.

“So I asked for a release — a couple of times — but I didn’t get it.

Raymond Faitala-Mariner shapes as the ‘Next Big Thing’ at the Bulldogs.Source: Getty Images
“I just felt that I wasn’t progressing there.

“I wanted more coaching, more one-on-one coaching. And Des had made me feel like a priority, like he wanted me in his team.”

Still, the youngster thought he would have to wait until his contract was up.

Next year.

But then, well, a new call came.

The player swap was on.

And so, with nothing but his boots and a bag of clothes, Faitala-Mariner left for Australia.

No house.

No car.

Just a chance

http://www.foxsports.com.au/news/ra...k/news-story/fb9254dc63d56dec5dea0de11a1f08f3

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of inu. When inu first signed he didn't even have clothes to wear. So raiding the store room and cleaned them out of all the training gear.

Hopefully the kid can perform well. Has a long way to go still but he just needs to focus on ball control to begin with. He will only get short spells on the field so hopefully he doesn't try to push his hand, (he can try too hard to show the team he is up for it). Would be a great story if he can make a name for himself for his on field performances. Not because he doesn't know the words to the team song.

Hoping he can hammer the roosters in attack and defence on Sunday afternoon.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope we are not putting too much pressure on him but hes the new Frank Pricthard hes Samoan as well.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really like the look of this guy just gotta make him comfortable so he doesnt get too homesick - his offload just like sbw

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of inu. When inu first signed he didn't even have clothes to wear. So raiding the store room and cleaned them out of all the training gear.

Hopefully the kid can perform well. Has a long way to go still but he just needs to focus on ball control to begin with. He will only get short spells on the field so hopefully he doesn't try to push his hand, (he can try too hard to show the team he is up for it). Would be a great story if he can make a name for himself for his on field performances. Not because he doesn't know the words to the team song.

INU?? hope not!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
3 articles about this kid today. I like him. He's winning the trade so far

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Would be good to see him starting this weekend and playing big minutes.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Ahh Inu. He was the best player in the nrl.....about 3 games a year

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
3 articles about this kid today. I like him. He's winning the trade so far
I remember you being one of the harshest critics of this trade Mitch, clearly you had a lot of love for Lane.

Still a way to go, but RFM is looking like a fine prospect already with limited opportunities.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Why did we drop Lane??? Cap pressure?
Reckon it was disciplinary. Just dunno what for. His form was ok most of the time and he showed promise. But he went really suddenly and unexpectedly. Coulda bonked Des' missus or something, who knows lol.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Reckon it was disciplinary. Just dunno what for. His form was ok most of the time and he showed promise. But he went really suddenly and unexpectedly. Coulda bonked Des' missus or something, who knows lol.
Has he played any NRL since joining the Warriors

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only coz they suspended 6 players lol

Status
Not open for further replies.