News Raiders Jack Wighton in nightclub incident - Update: Suspended Sentence and Fine.

Should the Bulldogs sign him?

• Yes

• No

• No, the Roosters still have $20M in their salary cap & can rehabilitate him

Results are only viewable after voting.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
might have to #askkenty :D haha
All seems a bit vague to me.......
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...t-charges-nrl-2018/1ns9t4u1clzcd1w23q2t5bzb8l

Andrew Lucas

Published on Apr. 11, 2018

Paul Kent says allegations against Jack Wighton could "go nuclear" if CCTV footage of his actions are presented in court on Wednesday.

Wighton will attend a hearing at the ACT Magistrates Court on nine charges including three counts of reckless or intentionally inflicting actual bodily harm, five common assault charges and a charge of urinating in a public place.

The charges stem back from a pre-season nightclub brawl which the NRL Integrity unit has been investigating along with the ACT Police who will present their evidence in court.

It's likely that it will include footage of Wighton's actions which could have a damaging effect for the Raiders fullback if it makes it's way to the public.

Kent told Fox Sports' NRL 360 if history is anything to go by, Wighton could be in the scrutiny of the public eye.

“I think this might in many ways go nuclear because there’s every possibility tomorrow that the ACT Police will present their evidence which would entail CCTV footage,” Kent said.

“If you go back and look at recent examples, once footage gets into the public domain for example, things that aren’t criminal charges- Mitchell Pearce (and) Todd Carney, it blows up.

“If you look at Ben Stokes, England cricket vice-captain, he had a lot of support because he was protecting some friends from homophobic slurs.

“Then the CCTV footage came out and it all turned on him because you saw the guy in the street saying ‘I don’t want to fight’ and he knocked him cold.

“The police supposedly have viewed CCTV footage, whether they submit that as evidence… there’s every likelihood that they will, but I can’t say for sure that they are going to do that.

If they do, by this time tomorrow night we might be showing that vision.”

In recent times, the releasing of CCTV footage has ruined the reputation of several rugby league players with the likes of Matt Lodge, Mitchell Pearce and Todd Carney all publicly humiliated once the footage made it into the public eye.

Meanwhile, the ABC's releasing of Kiwis Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor snorting cocaine in May 2017 will further damage the reputation of the pair.

If found guilty, the Raiders fullback may have potentially played his last game for the Green Machine after 121 first grade games at the club as well as featuring in the NSW Country side, Indigenous All Stars and Prime Minister's XIII.

He missed his side's victory against the Bulldogs after his partner gave birth but has been named to face Parramatta this week, although that could change after Wednesday's court proceedings.

The News Corp journalist previously said Wighton could face the sack by Canberra but could yet remain at the club unless he is kicked out by the NRL.

I think this time they’re going to stick by the player until it gets to the point where essentially the NRL say it’s over,” Kent said.

“Once the legal proceedings have played out, it will be up to Canberra and Wighton to show the NRL what steps they have got in place to perhaps say that he can keep playing.”

The 25-year-old's alleged incident joins a long list of indiscretions in the nation's capital with the club showing they won't tolerate bad behaviour from its players.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
If the cctv comes out, wighton will be run out of the nrlol. If carney got fucked off for pissing in his own mouth...Jackie boii is in for a world of trouble apparently

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the cctv comes out, wighton will be run out of the nrlol. If carney got fucked off for pissing in his own mouth...Jackie boii is in for a world of trouble apparently
Do you know details??

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With those charges, surely thats an NRL career ender... then again Matt Lodge defence will come into play
Please.
In Australia, those charges will attract a fine and a good behavior bond. Plus some counseling, where of course they’ll claim that “playing football is the best thing for him right now”
The system is fucked.

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Has pled guilty but will still play until the case is settled. No longer ALLEGED if he has said that he is pleading guilty but Canberra will still benefit from using him....

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fuck no. I would rather sign Greg Alexander at age 53 than have wighton anywhere near our club, that's how much I can't stand the guy

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Has pled guilty but will still play until the case is settled. No longer ALLEGED if he has said that he is pleading guilty but Canberra will still benefit from using him....
Should be stood down by the NRL once that decision is made, piss weak from the NRL.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Having watched Wighton this year, I think the Raiders would rather the NRL stand him down :D

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Having watched Wighton this year, I think the Raiders would rather the NRL stand him down :D
Lol,I tend to agree with you.

I am just so cranky that guys like these are given the opportunity to make a fair income from playing a sport and they basically give the big up yours to the fans in general with some rather, shall we say abhorrent behaviour that is tardily dealt with.

Their employer won't make the hard decisions simply because of who they are and what they bring to the team; you or I in a normal 9-5 job are held accountable for our behaviour and would be shown the door quick smart if we bought any hint of disrepute to the company we worked for. The courts are so snowed under that it takes an eternity for things to be dealt with meaning the black eye that the game gets every time theses sorts of things happen lasts. What makes it worse again is the fact that he has pled guilty, meaning he has accepted responsibility for the charges; imagine if he is found guilty.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From what I have heard, the person said to him & don't want to fight & was king hit.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He will leave the raiders and have a stint out of the game due to a 1-2 year suspension. Im happy for him to be our left centre when he's ready to return.