News Rabbitohs show former Origin star Roberts the door

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While we are at it has anyone kept a count on "medical retirements" at clubs when Wayne Bennett was the coach at the time?
Yeah as I said, the Inglis and Burgess situations were a farce and a blight on the league for allowing them to happen.

Terminating Roberts' contract however wouldn't fall into that category as from what I know of the situation, they've given Roberts countless chances and he keeps fucking up as he's got serious drug and alcohol issues.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
After having Winitana the Torana on our books.. Jimmy the Jet would be a good punt..

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was pondering the same thing. Souffs seem to have form for not fronting up to the NRL about stuff, its high time for the NRL to tell them that anything not reported at the time it is discovered will result in huge fines and competition point deductions.
But..but..they are the pride of rugby league, how can they be so dodgy and non compliant :tonguewink:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
But..but..they are the pride of rugby league, how can they be so dodgy and non compliant :tonguewink:
They are fine cuz. It's just smart management.
Ones a straight medical retirement and the other was a retirement with a job

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
So, they have room for JAC now....
Bingo!

I also heard JAC mentioned "family in Redfern" after the game last night despite the fact that his family are actually from Earlwood - and Earlwood is Bulldogs territory.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Finalised...

Meanwhile, South Sydney Rabbitohs have released James Roberts from the final year of his playing contract on compassionate grounds. The Herald revealed last week that Roberts had parted company with the club.

"We've held many discussions and meetings with James, his family and his representatives over recent months about a path forward for James," said Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly.

"James is an elite athlete and he certainly could play at the highest levels of the game in the NRL again. James and his family will always be Rabbitohs, and we will continue to support them as he looks to continue his career."

In a statement, Roberts said: "With the support of Souths, I am working closely with professionals to get myself healthy and into a position where I can play my best footy and support my family.

"Souths have been very supportive during this period, helping me to focus on the recovery from my pec injury and providing support for Anna, me and the kids."

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Compassionate grounds???? For who, Souths or the player? Truly he needs to give the game away but unfortunately like most players who have issues within the game ( and without too) they don't tend to have a plan B and footy is probably the only thing he can do ( sometimes not even that).

This smacks of Souths washing their hands of him no matter whether or not the player states they are being supportive. #PrideoftheLeague

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love how Souths make themselves out to be the good guys here.
They take him in knowing full well the extent of his troubles, when they can't get value out if him they allude to his issues as a means to get out him off the salary cap.
Fuck me they're good at it, Inglis, Burgess and now Roberts... who will it be this time next year?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love how Souths make themselves out to be the good guys here.
They take him in knowing full well the extent of his troubles, when they can't get value out if him they allude to his issues as a means to get out him off the salary cap.
Fuck me they're good at it, Inglis, Burgess and now Roberts... who will it be this time next year?
Bennett...When they cart him off to the retirement home if they don't make the finals...

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Compassionate grounds???? For who, Souths or the player? Truly he needs to give the game away but unfortunately like most players who have issues within the game ( and without too) they don't tend to have a plan B and footy is probably the only thing he can do ( sometimes not even that).

This smacks of Souths washing their hands of him no matter whether or not the player states they are being supportive. #PrideoftheLeague
Of course it is on compassionate grounds.......compationate for the bunnies that is........get him to claim compassionate grounds and Russel slips him a couple of hundred grand on the side to tide him over.....meanwhile the bunnies think that they have freed up $4-500 K on their cap........If only the NRL were serious and took their sunnies off......

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Where are all the Souths current players saying how disappointed they are in the club for not standing by one of there own.....Crickets and Silence.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Where are all the Souths current players saying how disappointed they are in the club for not standing by one of there own.....Crickets and Silence.
Hiding because they're scared shitless they'll be dumped.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hiding because they're scared shitless they'll be dumped.
More like they all wonder how he managed to stay so long considering the shit he’s gotten up to.

Go Dogs

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Of course it is on compassionate grounds.......compationate for the bunnies that is........get him to claim compassionate grounds and Russel slips him a couple of hundred grand on the side to tide him over.....meanwhile the bunnies think that they have freed up $4-500 K on their cap........If only the NRL were serious and took their sunnies off......
Compassionate because he has the same Dr as Burgess?