R.I.P. Roxette/Marie Fredriksson

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-11/roxette-singer-marie-fredriksson-dies-aged-61/11786776

Singer Marie Fredriksson of Swedish pop duo Roxette has died at the age of 61 after years of battling cancer and the lingering effects of its treatment.

The international music star died on Monday morning (local time) after a 17-year battle with a brain tumour.

Fredriksson's management agency Dimberg Jernberg said in a statement: "It is with great sadness that we have to announce that one of our biggest and most beloved artists is gone."

"Marie leaves us a grand musical legacy. Her amazing voice — both strong and sensitive — and her magical live performances will be remembered by all of us who was lucky enough to witness them.

"But we also remember a wonderful person with a huge appetite for life, and woman with a very big heart who cared for everybody she met."

Fredriksson formed Roxette with Per Gessle in 1986. The two released their first album the same year and their breakthrough album "Look Sharp" two years later.

Roxette produced several international hits including four US number ones with "It Must Have Been Love", from the film "Pretty Woman", "The Look", "Listen to Your Heart" and "Joyride".

On his Facebook profile, Gessle wrote: "You were an outstanding musician, a master of the voice, an amazing performer."

"I'm proud, honoured and happy to have been able to share so much of your time, talent, warmth, generosity and your sense of humour," he wrote, adding "Things will never be the same."

"You painted my black and white songs in the most beautiful colours."

Fredriksson was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2002.

She underwent aggressive treatment that took its toll but ultimately was successful, her management agency said.

However, she was left blind in one eye, with limited hearing and mobility, and was unable to read or write.

She was also unable to speak for a considerable period of time after her treatment, making a gradual return to the stage in 2009.

Roxette released several new albums and toured across the world until 2016, when Fredriksson was advised by her doctors to focus on her health and stop touring.

Fredriksson was born in southern Sweden on May 30, 1958, and had her artistic breakthrough in 1984 in Sweden.

With Gessle as Roxette they had six top-two hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

The pair sold 80 million records worldwide and embarked on world tours.
They were Sweden's best-known band since ABBA in the 1970s and 1980s, and in 2003, Sweden's Carl Gustaf XVI awarded the duo a royal award.

Fredriksson made her first public appearance after her brain tumour operation to receive the honour with Gessle.

Fredriksson is survived by her husband, Mikael Bolyos, and their two children, Josefin and Oscar.

The family asked for respect in their grief and announced the funeral will take place in silence with only her closest family present.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sad news. Condolences to her friends family and fans. I never owned a Roxette album, but she was a big talent and gave the world some memorable songs.

It actually makes me realise that I've been around for a long time now when I hear of the stars that we're around when I was a kid are dieing on a semi regular basis. Greedy Smith from mental as anything passed away a couple of weeks ago too. He wasn't among my favorite singers either, but had quite a few songs I like.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm saddened by this news may she RIP :cry: I loved listening to Roxette when I was growing up.

Below is one of my fav

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
RIP... Sad that more and more the band's I grew up listening to are starting to pass away. Loved Rosette. Saw them in Wollongong in 2015 (the last time she performed live) and they were incredible

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Leaving a great musical legacy. RIP.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
She had such a powerful emotive voice..such an amazing talent..and drop dead gorgeous..loved her as a kid.. Left a great legacy of music.. I think her partner in music Per Gessle summed it up best..

“Thank you, Marie, thanks for everything. You were an outstanding musician, a master of the voice, an amazing performer. Thanks for painting my black and white songs in the most beautiful colours.”

RIP Marie Fredriksson..thank you for the memories..
This was my fav..Listen to Your Heart.. The video is epic..

Last edited:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
fucking spinout, i was just playing her song yesterday afternoon in the office

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I had no idea she had suffered a brain tumor, and from all accounts she was a changed woman thereafter.

Roxette were one of the main bands whose casettes I had on repeat as a young adult either in the TEAC Walkman (or ghettoblaster).

Look Sharp!, Joyride, and Crash/Boom/Bang .. all superb and consistently brilliant albums from two stunningly talented musicians.

The world has lost a really special talent in Marie, and one that is irreplaceable.

RIP Marie.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
RIP... Sad that more and more the band's I grew up listening to are starting to pass away. Loved Rosette. Saw them in Wollongong in 2015 (the last time she performed live) and they were incredible
It's just a sign of us all getting older unfortunately.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very sad news indeed.. I was listening to roxette today as I heard the news.. bloody ironic if ya ask me.!!!

R.I.P girl, your music will always be loved.!!

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another artist / celebrity dies in their 60’s.

Hope she enjoyed her joyride before she got cancer.

Younger generation probably have no idea how many hits they had over a short period of time.

Congrats on your success and sorry you had to leave early.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hot and talented and responsible for more fapping than most other female 80's singers put together.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Have just been listening to the Roxette Essentials Playlist on Apple Music. Man thay have some good hits. Don't realise how many they had until you look at that play list!! So many good songs