R.i.p Charlie watts

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bummer I'll be playing exile on main St today. Dude had balls and class
Once on tour mick Jagger came back to the hotel blind drunk demanding to know where his drummer was at 2 am, Charlie got up Put on his suit brushed his hair walked down punched Jagger in the face and said , " I'm not you're fucking drummer ,you're my singer"

R.i.p. legend

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Charlie was also a noted jazz drummer. He could play all types of genres,and was impeccable in his dress and manners. He was the complete opposite of the rebellious image the Stones expressed. His "stone face" when playing for the group became legend.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You can tell from how he held his sticks (the left handed ‘over/under grip’) that he was originally a jazz drummer before rock. Had all the skills - subtlety and hard hitting when he needed to be. Anyone who can survive rock and roll for 60 years deserves a tip of the hat. RIP Charlie and thanks for all the great music.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Charlie was also a noted jazz drummer. He could play all types of genres,and was impeccable in his dress and manners. He was the complete opposite of the rebellious image the Stones expressed. His "stone face" when playing for the group became legend.
Even though he looked stony faced, he also seems to have that "swing"

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can tell from how he held his sticks (the left handed ‘over/under grip’) that he was originally a jazz drummer before rock. Had all the skills - subtlety and hard hitting when he needed to be. Anyone who can survive rock and roll for 60 years deserves a tip of the hat. RIP Charlie and thanks for all the great music.
Most old school rock drummers in the day had jazz backgrounds, ginger baker, ( cream)Mitchell Mitchell( Hendrix) John densmore( doors) which would of been inspired by the legends buddy rich and @Gene Krupa . Well roughly anyway even bill ward ( black Sabbath) had jazz swing

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Most old school rock drummers in the day had jazz backgrounds, ginger baker, ( cream)Mitchell Mitchell( Hendrix) John densmore( doors) which would of been inspired by the legends buddy rich and @Gene Krupa . Well roughly anyway even bill ward ( black Sabbath) had jazz swing
Yep, hate to bring out the cliches but they don’t make ‘em like they used to - ask @Roll the Bones

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jazz drummers are always 50+ plus years ahead of the times , examples buddy rich , playing grindcore beats before it was even a thing.

To

Charlie never over played or under played ,but like taking phil Rudd out of acdc

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
RIP. That's a great story. The Stones shit all over the Beatles on every level. I especially love their Blues inspired tracks. I know they were huge and sold a shitload of records but I still think they're somehow underrated. The Kinks are also criminally underrated and don't get talked about enough.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Jazz drummers are always 50+ plus years ahead of the times , examples buddy rich , playing grindcore beats before it was even a thing.

To

Charlie never over played or under played ,but like taking phil Rudd out of acdc
Yup. Carter Beauford from the Dave Matthews Band is another example. His dad took him to a Buddy Rich show when he was 3 as he couldn’t find a baby sitter. Carter was mesmerised and began smacking the skins soon after, first performing professionally when he was 9! From practicing in front of a mirror he also became ambidextrous and can play left or right handed and trained in jazz before playing rock. Dude’s a freak.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
RIP. That's a great story. The Stones shit all over the Beatles on every level. I especially love their Blues inspired tracks. I know they were huge and sold a shitload of records but I still think they're somehow underrated. The Kinks are also criminally underrated and don't get talked about enough.
Aye I'm a metal head and punk rocker mainly buy at work it's all old school we start with the day,the stones, Hendrix, cream , the doors, the who ect , yes the kinks are underated just like the animals

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Aye I'm a metal head and punk rocker mainly buy at work it's all old school we start with the day,the stones, Hendrix, cream , the doors, the who ect , yes the kinks are underated just like the animals
Yeah I love all of that shit too. Started on 80's music as a kid and soft rock, got into the 60's and 70's stuff, then into metal and grunge, then hip-hop, then back into new wave, then blues and jazz and then funk and P-funk... My music collection is very eclectic. I never understood people who just like one genre of music.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I love all of that shit too. Started on 80's music as a kid and soft rock, got into the 60's and 70's stuff, then into metal and grunge, then hip-hop, then back into new wave, then blues and jazz and then funk and P-funk... My music collection is very eclectic. I never understood people who just like one genre of music.
For sure go from listen to cannibal corspe
Fucked with a knife to Nana Mouskouri the white rose of athens, yet put commercial radio anywhere near me and that fucking drops of Jupiter come on or Jimmy barns I'll smash the fucking radio, actually done that more than once on a job site ( I did warn a **** once who was obsessed with today fm or some shit if he keeps walking around with it on near me I'll destroy it, we'll he thought I was bluffing the old radio did not survive the boot I gave it or the 3 stories of scaffold it went down) thank fuck for Spotify these days lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For sure go from listen to cannibal corspe
Fucked with a knife to Nana Mouskouri the white rose of athens, yet put commercial radio anywhere near me and that fucking drops of Jupiter come on or Jimmy barns I'll smash the fucking radio, actually done that more than once on a job site ( I did warn a **** once who was obsessed with today fm or some shit if he keeps walking around with it on near me I'll destroy it, we'll he thought I was bluffing the old radio did not survive the boot I gave it or the 3 stories of scaffold it went down) thank fuck for Spotify these days lol
Yeah any pop shit from the last two decades or so I can't handle. I'm only 38 but I barely listen to any current "music". I love discovering lesser known artists or songs from ages ago when they actually knew how to write and play/create music.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, hate to bring out the cliches but they don’t make ‘em like they used to - ask @Roll the Bones
Sad loss. Was an inspiration to so many of great drummers. I always like his drum part on the intro bit to Start Me Up. Always fucks people up when they try and tap along.

Here's a photo of the time he introduced himself to my main man Neil Peart (also sadly who has left us), with the other guys in Rush looking on, about 2 minutes before Rush went on stage at a festival in Canada in 2003.

Charlie2.jpg

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah any pop shit from the last two decades or so I can't handle. I'm only 38 but I barely listen to any current "music". I love discovering lesser known artists or songs from ages ago when they actually knew how to write and play/create music.
Dude we need to catch up some time. You are speaking my language. Born in 88 but Dad loved the 80s so that is what I grew up on. Anything later than the 80s (apart from the odd band- I do love Live) is absolute trash. No one knows how to play music these days. Technology makes anyone sound good

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've just listened to Gimme Shelter. Yeah, he could make it swing alright.

Guy was also married for 57 years. Top effort.