Question for Tradies on Home Reno (Cement Render/Paint/Roof Restoration etc...)

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Won't get knocked down. A builder came one day when I was there gardening with them and he came with the measuring tape and all. It's not big enough to build duplexes/apartments on, it's a perfect home for first home buyers.
What's the land size? Frontage?

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If its Asbestos, clad over it.

If its fibro take it off, change the rotten timbers, re-strengthen where required and smack up some Blueboard and put Rockcote over it.

When you do the roof, look at re-doing the fascia and gutters

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If its Asbestos, clad over it.

If its fibro take it off, change the rotten timbers, re-strengthen where required and smack up some Blueboard and put Rockcote over it.

When you do the roof, look at re-doing the fascia and gutters
You smelled a drum if rockcote when the shit goes off? Fuck me id go down on castle before smelling that shit again

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just sprayed my roof tiles in Dulux acratex roofing mambrane
Looks like a completely different house
As far as rendering over fibro it’s a bit of a shit fight and I honestly don’t think it’s would increase the value to what your saying
Spray the roof in and paint the exterior
Sand cement boncoat and a broom ,looks shit hot on unraked brickwork not sure fibro,should last until the check clears

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1 million for first home buyer ? I've seen nice houses knocked down. I cant see how a fibro house can be valued at $1 000 000 unless its the land. I haven't been in Sydney for 10 years now so maybe I'm missing something.
Sydney house prices are quite frankly ridiculous, but people seem to put up with it. Its almost like some bizarre ponzi scheme.

$1m for a fibro, probably >25km from the city? Cripes.

As for selling or not selling, if you are also wanting buy again in the same market the timing is not really that important. If your house goes up in 2 years, ceteris paribus, as will the house you aspire to purchase.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just sprayed my roof tiles in Dulux acratex roofing mambrane
Looks like a completely different house
As far as rendering over fibro it’s a bit of a shit fight and I honestly don’t think it’s would increase the value to what your saying
Spray the roof in and paint the exterior
I got my roof sprayed with something or other a couple of years ago. The place went from being like a furnace when i got home from work (the walls were warm to touch) to at least 10 -15 degrees cooler. Worth every cent.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
What's the land size? Frontage?
It's about 45 feet wide, about 150 long. Big land but the frontage isn't wide enough for a duplex. With the land best developers can hope for is long villa/townhouse/motel like layout with a driveway going all the way along.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Too many variables
4 bedrooms in good areas are doing very well
Yep that's why the value of the house is so good. It's a single front with 2 bedrooms at the front, a bedroom at the back, and large room in the middle on the side along the driveway that could either be used as the master bedroom or second lounge area (there's a lounge room in the middle of the house which can also be used as a small lounge and dining combination area).

Wahesh

Reaction score
1 million for first home buyer ? I've seen nice houses knocked down. I cant see how a fibro house can be valued at $1 000 000 unless its the land. I haven't been in Sydney for 10 years now so maybe I'm missing something.
Property report has it valued at $990,000 - but that was 2 years ago. The median house price in Sydney is about a million. It's not structure anymore, it's location.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Not a tradie but a mechanical engineer only thing I'd be worried about with doing external cement rendering is cracking especially with Sydney's soil composition.

Need to check the soil composition in the area he lives in especially if it's high clay content like a lot of places in Western Sydney plus how much rainfall happens as once the ground soaks the water then dries the house will start to move and crack the rending on stress points.

Since you are saying its a home built in the1950s I assume it sits on brick pillars or partially on prick pillars which really doesn't help with that ground movement (we copped the same thing with our rendering lmao). A good way to check before anything is does he have any cracked walls or paint, doors or cupboards that don't close up properly and any gates that don't line up after rainfall and heat?

Hopefully that helps with some advice before moving into rendering the whole home or part of it.
The structure of the house is awesome. No movement/cracks or anything like that which I found surprising. It's sitting on a brick foundation.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a builder, but a qualified truck driver which is pretty close.

Make sure you install a grease pit, as they are hard to find these days.

And run a driveway down the side of your house using road base or blue metal - defiantly adds appeal to the house and allows you to get heavy vehicles into your backyard, plus you get the added benefit of playing Russian roulette with your mower as the kids are always playing that "throw the rocks on the grass to piss off dad game".

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been looking at getting my tiled roof cleaned and sprayed but have heard that it can cause them to start leaking when they didn't before hand? Any truth to this as I'm not keen to risk it leaking if that's the case.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Been looking at getting my tiled roof cleaned and sprayed but have heard that it can cause them to start leaking when they didn't before hand? Any truth to this as I'm not keen to risk it leaking if that's the case.
My brother in law did this about 3 months ago and it's all good. House is about 45 years old.

I guess it all comes down to the tradie doing the work.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of my mates is looking at selling his house as he wants to move. I've told him to hold off at the moment given the market is the way it is with Covid, unemployment and the market recovery not complete etc... and I told him he'll get more in say 2 years.

Now while this is happening I'm thinking maybe get a minor house reno underway.

So the house itself is great. The floors are varnished, walls painted, and it has 3/4 bedrooms, a back sunroom, built in wardrobes, detaches garage, large backyard. Close to all amenities - shops, schools, transports.

The house is vibro however and has a roof that needs a facelift so I'm thinking that he should cement render the outside (only) then give it one of those trending light paint jobs such as very light purple, ice blue, or light grey, and then with that restore the roof and give it a paint job such as very dark blue, dark grey, or black - the type of colour that goes with a light render paint job.

I'm thinking his home value will go from ~$1,000,000 to ~$1,200,000 - but how much will it cost to get there?

Just an external render and paint job plus roof restoration and paint.
As long as he sells and buys in same market, its relative.. so don't make much difference to sell now or later.

I think buyers can see through a quick patch up job.. one thing you can't dress up is if a house is small, if it doesn't have size , you can do what you want but it's small.

When I bought my house I looked at position and then size. The other bullshit cosmetic bits can be sorted.. but if it's in a shit spot or too small, your no good .

Another free tip don't listen to real estates that say it's ok to buy near powerlines. There is a guy I know who lives basically under powerlines, he doesn't have a hair on his head, scorched off the first time he opens his back door never to grow back. He probably has 3 arms by now too