Question for Tradies on Home Reno (Cement Render/Paint/Roof Restoration etc...)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of my mates is looking at selling his house as he wants to move. I've told him to hold off at the moment given the market is the way it is with Covid, unemployment and the market recovery not complete etc... and I told him he'll get more in say 2 years.

Now while this is happening I'm thinking maybe get a minor house reno underway.

So the house itself is great. The floors are varnished, walls painted, and it has 3/4 bedrooms, a back sunroom, built in wardrobes, detaches garage, large backyard. Close to all amenities - shops, schools, transports.

The house is vibro however and has a roof that needs a facelift so I'm thinking that he should cement render the outside (only) then give it one of those trending light paint jobs such as very light purple, ice blue, or light grey, and then with that restore the roof and give it a paint job such as very dark blue, dark grey, or black - the type of colour that goes with a light render paint job.

I'm thinking his home value will go from ~$1,000,000 to ~$1,200,000 - but how much will it cost to get there?

Just an external render and paint job plus roof restoration and paint.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Do you know if the Fibro contains asbestos? How old is the structure?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Do you know if the Fibro contains asbestos? How old is the structure?
House was built around the 1950s. No asbestos in the structure. The shed they have attached to the garage used to be, but they removed that and replaced it with blueboard.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
House was built around the 1950s. No asbestos in the structure. The shed they have attached to the garage used to be, but they removed that and replaced it with blueboard.
I would consider cladding as it’s cheaper and these days with new products doesn’t look so dated. Depending the look of the house you could go with some alucobond bullnose hoarding if there is a street facing balcony and a roof respray as it is a lot cheaper than retiling. If they have the cash continue with a whole new Alucobond roof. Looks good when done well. As with price you definitely have to see the site. Get a couple of quotes I guess and see what they come out as.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I would consider cladding as it’s cheaper and these days with new products doesn’t look so dated. Depending the look of the house you could go with some alucobond bullnose hoarding if there is a street facing balcony and a roof respray as it is a lot cheaper than retiling. If they have the cash continue with a whole new Alucobond roof. Looks good when done well. As with price you definitely have to see the site. Get a couple of quotes I guess and see what they come out as.
I really like matrix cladding tbh

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I really like matrix cladding tbh

Yep that gives you a good render like finish for a lot less money if that’s the way you want to go. Also no old school builder ever mentions the importance of good landscaping when trying to up the resell price of a property. It’s really worth spending a bit of money on getting the place properly landscaped. The girls love it and guess who is making the final decision on if they buy it or not.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yep that gives you a good render like finish for a lot less money if that’s the way you want to go. Also no old school builder ever mentions the importance of good landscaping when trying to up the resell price of a property. It’s really worth spending a bit of money on getting the place properly landscaped. The girls love it and guess who is making the final decision on if they buy it or not.
Oh the house is beautifully landscaped. There's a small garden bed in the front of the home directly in front of the front verandah/entrance, and there's plenty of opportunity to add anything in the back. I'm thinking of buying some plants to put alongside the drive way, that's no problem.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I think the roof respray is what they wanted, but for some reason they mentioned roof restoration in order to change the colour - I think that's what they were getting at.

I know cladding is cheaper but is it safe? The Grenfell tower went up like smoke.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a tradie but a mechanical engineer only thing I'd be worried about with doing external cement rendering is cracking especially with Sydney's soil composition.

Need to check the soil composition in the area he lives in especially if it's high clay content like a lot of places in Western Sydney plus how much rainfall happens as once the ground soaks the water then dries the house will start to move and crack the rending on stress points.

Since you are saying its a home built in the1950s I assume it sits on brick pillars or partially on prick pillars which really doesn't help with that ground movement (we copped the same thing with our rendering lmao). A good way to check before anything is does he have any cracked walls or paint, doors or cupboards that don't close up properly and any gates that don't line up after rainfall and heat?

Hopefully that helps with some advice before moving into rendering the whole home or part of it.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they are selling roof spray is ok ,otherwise pile of shit ,so many roofs look fucked after spray and can cause issues, if the tiles look that bad rip the ***** off re batton it chuck colour bond on .

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I know cladding is cheaper but is it safe? The Grenfell tower went up like smoke.
That's foam cladding. Other types of cladding are fine. Colorbond is an easy update to a weatherboard house

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I think the roof respray is what they wanted, but for some reason they mentioned roof restoration in order to change the colour - I think that's what they were getting at.

Like everyone said cladding is fine. Especially after the disaster. A lot more stricter on material used and methods of fixing. Like South of Heaven said spraying a roof is fine if they are selling but not a great long term solution. Again whatever they do to the roof it’s worth getting pricing for solar at the back part of the roof of the house. Government rebates sent as good these days but storage batteries are a lot cheaper and can add a decent bit more on resale value.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sure it won't get knocked down ? A family member of mine is selling now and she is in Melbourne but you need to sell before end of year.

Wahesh

Reaction score
You sure it won't get knocked down ? A family member of mine is selling now and she is in Melbourne but you need to sell before end of year.
Won't get knocked down. A builder came one day when I was there gardening with them and he came with the measuring tape and all. It's not big enough to build duplexes/apartments on, it's a perfect home for first home buyers.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't get knocked down. A builder came one day when I was there gardening with them and he came with the measuring tape and all. It's not big enough to build duplexes/apartments on, it's a perfect home for first home buyers.
1 million for first home buyer ? I've seen nice houses knocked down. I cant see how a fibro house can be valued at $1 000 000 unless its the land. I haven't been in Sydney for 10 years now so maybe I'm missing something.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just sprayed my roof tiles in Dulux acratex roofing mambrane
Looks like a completely different house
As far as rendering over fibro it’s a bit of a shit fight and I honestly don’t think it’s would increase the value to what your saying
Spray the roof in and paint the exterior

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of my mates is looking at selling his house as he wants to move. I've told him to hold off at the moment given the market is the way it is with Covid, unemployment and the market recovery not complete etc... and I told him he'll get more in say 2 years.

Now while this is happening I'm thinking maybe get a minor house reno underway.

So the house itself is great. The floors are varnished, walls painted, and it has 3/4 bedrooms, a back sunroom, built in wardrobes, detaches garage, large backyard. Close to all amenities - shops, schools, transports.

The house is vibro however and has a roof that needs a facelift so I'm thinking that he should cement render the outside (only) then give it one of those trending light paint jobs such as very light purple, ice blue, or light grey, and then with that restore the roof and give it a paint job such as very dark blue, dark grey, or black - the type of colour that goes with a light render paint job.

I'm thinking his home value will go from ~$1,000,000 to ~$1,200,000 - but how much will it cost to get there?

Just an external render and paint job plus roof restoration and paint.
Too many variables
4 bedrooms in good areas are doing very well