Question for plumbers (re dual flush dunnies).

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Got a question for the plumbers out there (or others may know as well).

Toilets connected up to a rainwater tank to flush in a new home.

Does the smaller button mean FULL or PART flush?

I'd have thought smaller button = half, larger button = full. But the other train of thought is larger button = more likely to be pressed, so therefore half flush. Smaller button harder/conciously pressed and therefore full flush.

Tried using both and there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. Or with rainwater tanks is the flush the same regardless?

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, take the lid off the top of the cistern and press either button, watch how far the level drops and then do the other. Note which drops most for your answer...

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do a handstand with you head in bowl get somebody to flush them both ,count how long the water is over your ear's then you will have you're answer , that's the easiest way i could think of figuring it out

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do a handstand with you head in bowl get somebody to flush them both ,count how long the water is over your ear's then you will have you're answer , that's the easiest way i could think of figuring it out
Make sure that nobody takes a dump first.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you can, take the lid off the top of the cistern and press either button, watch how far the level drops and then do the other. Note which drops most for your answer...
That's a good point... thanks for that... will do that next time I need to flush. I suspect it may be the same.

Make sure that nobody takes a dump first.
Wish I read your warning first Alan... so that's what I smell like on the inside after lunch!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on the toilet. Some toilets the little button is half flush, the big is full. Others the big is full and the little button only flushes as long as you're holding the button. And other toilets both buttons do the exact same thing (depending how dodgy the installing plumber was)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
And other toilets both buttons do the exact same thing (depending how dodgy the installing plumber was)
Yeah well given we've already had a wall cut up after (during build stage) someone dropped builders rubble down the piping between upper and lower level and blocked it, I'd say this is the most likely one.