Queensland & NT Cyclones

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
This is bad.. hearing upto 300km winds in QUEENSLAND.

As much as it is scary.. I love storms and would like to experience something like that HA call me crazy but wow

EDIT: TITLE SHOULD BE CYCLONE !! (LOL)

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes. My wife's uncle owns a resort right in the middle of it in Yeppoon.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You know what I am exactly the same. Hope everyone is alright but if I could do any job I would definitely say being a storm chaser would be up there!!!! On the sucky side though just about nto get on a plane to head to Brisbane to watch the cricket tomorrow which I am pretty sure is gonna be a wash out

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just cycling in a Cyclone here....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's pretty freaky. Fortunately it's not too strong but it's strong enough to do some damage and make some nice waves too.

It's not a shining example for living in Queensland though. Floods, cyclones, canetoads, just can't win.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In Brisbane, rain started yesterday afternoon, and was light on and off until about 4am or so when it started getting a bit heavier. Zs I type this from my office near the city, it's what you would call moderate, but i will now expect it will rain for the next 24 hours at least.

Cricket won't be happening tomorrow night. A league tonight will be pretty wet. There is supposed to be a foo fighter's gig at Suncorp in a few days too.

At worst I will end up with a boring weekend and some water getting in my garage. Feel for the poor buggers around Yepoon. The Mary River around Maryborough/Gympie will be in danger of flooding too.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's pretty freaky. Fortunately it's not too strong but it's strong enough to do some damage and make some nice waves too.

It's not a shining example for living in Queensland though. Floods, cyclones, canetoads, just can't win.
When the rain and cyclones clear the weather is pretty nice though, although the humidity is something that takes getting used to (especially on the days I have to suit up)

Although winter is where QLD sh!ts on the southern states. I don't own a heater, and the sun shines every day. :grinning:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Don't worry mate the cane toads have already reached the vicinity of Port Macquarie so Yep I guess as thto song says Queensland is everywhere!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
hahah KE's back ....

Welcome :D

At worst I will end up with a boring weekend and some water getting in my garage. Feel for the poor buggers around Yepoon. The Mary River around Maryborough/Gympie will be in danger of flooding too.
The media overhypes the shit out of these things though. Ch7 have like reporters in 5 different areas of Qld gagging and hoping like hell it wipes out an entire town so they can be first on hand to wank off over it for the next few weeks.

It was meant to be Cat 5, then dropped to 4, and now to 3.

Every ... single ... year these cyclones hit those areas. Heck it's the same around all the South Pacific (in particular Fiji). It's just the way of the tropical weather pattern.

Luckily croc country is more north, as that's when it *really* gets interesting (overflowing rivers that have high crocodile populations). When Yasi went through Port Douglas and its surrounds, that's when shit got interesting indeed.

Speaking of which... the one up north in NT would be of concern with an increasnig croc population around those areas.

Don't worry mate the cane toads have already reached the vicinity of Port Macquarie so Yep I guess as thto song says Queensland is everywhere!
Funny thing.. I spent a month in Qld last Sep and went up as north as Trinity Beach in the Daintree.. Only Cane Toads we saw were on Hamilton Island!

N

Natboy

Funny thing.. I spent a month in Qld last Sep and went up as north as Trinity Beach in the Daintree.. Only Cane Toads we saw were on Hamilton Island!
Were they racing at the pub with people gambling on them? That's all I remember from Hamilton Island haha

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its pretty mild at the gold coast atm, just lots of rain with a bit of wind I was expecting some pretty serious weather as the news outlets were talking it up for my area.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Were they racing at the pub with people gambling on them? That's all I remember from Hamilton Island haha
Nah just on the road (Melaluca Drive) where we were staying.

Made for good Golf Buggy targets of a night :D

N

Natboy

Nah just on the road (Melaluca Drive) where we were staying.

Made for good Golf Buggy targets of a night :D
The noise of them popping is always music to my ears! I reckon I've hit more cane toads with a nine iron than actual golf balls lol

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its pretty mild at the gold coast atm, just lots of rain with a bit of wind I was expecting some pretty serious weather as the news outlets were talking it up for my area.
yeh pretty calm here. But the cyclone (or whats left of it by the time it gets down here) hasnt arrived yet, just rain from the tail. Rain should increase dramatically tonight and tomorrow apparently. Floods are more a risk though than wind.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The noise of them popping is always music to my ears! I reckon I've hit more cane toads with a nine iron than actual golf balls lol
Funny thing about cane toads is that their defence mechanism is often suicidal.

They flip on their backs and play dead. Only problem with that is that their poison sacks are on their backs, and their stomachs are prime targets for birds. Not to mention they find it incredibly hard to flip back over again and often starve to death.

The birds (definitely on Hamilton) are genius with it. They swoop down and freak them out. That causes the cane toads to go "oooh shiiiiit" and flip on their backs. On their backs and unable to easily flip back over, birds then land next to them and peck out their guts.

It's actually rather hilarous (in a morbid way) to watch happen.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hahah KE's back ....

Welcome :D

The media overhypes the shit out of these things though. Ch7 have like reporters in 5 different areas of Qld gagging and hoping like hell it wipes out an entire town so they can be first on hand to wank off over it for the next few weeks.

It was meant to be Cat 5, then dropped to 4, and now to 3.

Every ... single ... year these cyclones hit those areas. Heck it's the same around all the South Pacific (in particular Fiji). It's just the way of the tropical weather pattern.

Luckily croc country is more north, as that's when it *really* gets interesting (overflowing rivers that have high crocodile populations). When Yasi went through Port Douglas and its surrounds, that's when shit got interesting indeed.

Speaking of which... the one up north in NT would be of concern with an increasnig croc population around those areas.

Lived here 34 years and never had a cyclone.
Had a Cat 4 just over my house. Nothing too bad but we are a lot better off than others.
Think the worst has gone now.
Also, plenty if crocs around here mate

Status
Not open for further replies.