Queensland drivers face $1000 fine for texting from Saturday (up from $400)

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can barely go places I've been to multiple times without a GPS, I don't remember street names at all and only remember places as I approach them. I also don't know any of my bank details or passwords until I'm at the log in screen and just somehow it comes to me, so it could just be me and my brains already fried.

I also do find Google Maps on my Pixel far superior to the inbuilt navigation systems in some cars.
Whilst i think ones from Navman etc are good, I must admit the in car one in my new car (a not-so-cheap Euro SUV) can be lacking - i have to use at least a bit if intuition when it tries to send me in the opposite direction to where i think i should be going.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Whilst i think ones from Navman etc are good, I must admit the in car one in my new car (a not-so-cheap Euro SUV) can be lacking - i have to use at least a bit if intuition when it tries to send me in the opposite direction to where i think i should be going.
The GPS in Mercedes sucks, think they use Garmin? The chick also sounds pretty average lol. My phone is just so much better, straight to the point and offers the features I want to use.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The GPS in Mercedes sucks, think they use Garmin? The chick also sounds pretty average lol. My phone is just so much better, straight to the point and offers the features I want to use.
I had a GPS that had Homer Simpson as one of the voices you could use. It was fun for the first 30 minutes but got annoying pretty quick lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I had a GPS that had Homer Simpson as one of the voices you could use. It was fun for the first 30 minutes but got annoying pretty quick lol.
The fuck haha.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of famous people lend their voices to GPS software. A friend of mine once had Mr T. Turn left fool!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fuck haha.
I shit you not, it was a TomTom navigation I got from work back in 2010. My missus at the time was the one that wanted it, which was funny because the bitch never drove anywhere :laughing:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I can barely go places I've been to multiple times without a GPS, I don't remember street names at all and only remember places as I approach them. I also don't know any of my bank details or passwords until I'm at the log in screen and just somehow it comes to me, so it could just be me and my brains already fried.

I also do find Google Maps on my Pixel far superior to the inbuilt navigation systems in some cars.
To date I haven't had to use the navigation system built into my car. Last time I needed GPS was before I bought my new car, and I simply used the maps app on my iPhone. The thing is the phone sits perfectly horizontal on my dashboard between 2 of the dash's pins so it can't slide off (pins circled in red, phone outline in white) and the map displays perfectly.

upload_2020-1-31_15-27-7.png

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To date I haven't had to use the navigation system built into my car. Last time I needed GPS was before I bought my new car, and I simply used the maps app on my iPhone. The thing is the phone sits perfectly horizontal on my dashboard between 2 of the dash's pins so it can't slide off (pins circled in red, phone outline in white) and the map displays perfectly.

View attachment 12901
Is that legal?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Is that legal?
Yep. The laws you can't touch your phone. I wasn't touching it nor was it distracting me. In fact having it right in front of me on the dash would be less distracting than having it in the centre of the dash where the cars nav system is. This way I only need to take a peek down without having to turn my head.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. The laws you can't touch your phone. I wasn't touching it nor was it distracting me. In fact having it right in front of me on the dash would be less distracting than having it in the centre of the dash where the cars nav system is. This way I only need to take a peek down without having to turn my head.
i never pictured you as a Corolla/Camry (?) driver. Although TBH, I never really gave it any thought...

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You can only use Bluetooth with a full licence. P platers can't even safely secure their phone and use it as a GPS, guess it's safer to have them driving blind with no navigation and cutting into lanes at the last second so they don't miss a turn lol.
Fuck I wonder how we did it before mobile phones?

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate they should be fining QLDers for not using indicators and generally driving like L platers anyway. $1000 each. Fkn hopeless.
In fairness, it's mainly the beamer drivers who don't indicate. But I don't think that's restricted to just Qld.