Queensland drivers face $1000 fine for texting from Saturday (up from $400)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/po...or-texting-from-saturday-20200130-p53w1o.html

Queensland drivers who use their phones behind the wheel will be hit with a $1000 on-the-spot fine from Saturday.

Drivers caught twice risk losing their licence and facing double demerit points, Transport Minister Mark Bailey said.

"Thirty-three lives were lost to distraction last year, 1300 crashes, and we believe that is an under reporting," he said.

"Research shows driving distracted by your mobile phone or anything else is the equivalent of driving with 0.07 to 0.1 blood alcohol in your system.

This is the same risk as driving drunk."

The new fine is more than double the current penalty of $400.

Drivers with their phone in a cradle, or going hands free, will be allowed limited phone use. This includes accepting a call, or, for rideshare drivers, accepting or finishing a trip.

Police will have the discretion to decide whether or not to hand out a fine.

Driving while using a mobile phone held in your hand is illegal—even if you're stopped in traffic. This means you can't:
  • hold the phone next to or near your ear with your hand
  • write, send or read a text message
  • turn your phone on or off
  • operate any other function on your phone

New snooping cameras, designed to detect phone use on the roads, were expected to be rolled out by the middle of the year.

Mr Bailey was unsure how many cameras would be rolled out as part of the trial, nor where they would be placed, but hoped eventually units would be in place in all major regional areas as well as Brisbane and south-east Queensland.

NSW rolled out trial cameras in December that caught more than 3300 people illegally using their phones in the first week.

RACQ spokeswoman Renee Smith said a "harsh deterrent" was needed after years of education had failed to stop distracted drivers.

“It’s always been difficult to catch people out on their phones, but these new cameras will
make it very tough for motorists doing the wrong thing to hide," she said.

“Enforcement is critical; tougher penalties will only work if motorists think there is a good
chance they will be caught."

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
$600 increase from $400 to $1000 is an obvious revenue raiser. We've got a few Queenslanders here... be careful guys @maroondog72 @Kaz @CroydonDog.
There's been a media/advertising blitz on this. You would have to be living under a rock not to know.

Funny thing is that driving behaviors in Brisbane at least is abysmal. Nobody bothers indicating, u turn wherever you fee like, no letting people in....

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
As usual they target the wrong areas.
People hogging the fast lane and tailgating both cause much more frustration and dangerous situations but when was the last time you saw someone pulled over for that?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As usual they target the wrong areas.
People hogging the fast lane and tailgating both cause much more frustration and dangerous situations but when was the last time you saw someone pulled over for that?
Yeah i forgot that one. I spend half my time going down the right lane on the motorway flashing my headlights and the other half having to change lanes like a slalom course.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Well I think something like this should be implemented in NSW. We already have the mobile phone detection cameras, but we need bigger fines for flogs who simply ignore them.

What really pisses me off though is those IDIOTS who video themselves behind the steering wheel then upload the video to Instagram.

(A) It is dangerous
(B) Who are putting content of yourself committing a crime on the internet YOU IDIOT.

Wahesh

Reaction score
All good bro ,I just hope it goes some way to getting people of their fucking phones while driving too many people are being killed by fucking morons on phones.
Good thing you don't have to worry about this out on the boat though :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
All cars either have bluetooth or an aftermarket can easily be installed. Yet, everyday, i see people actually driving holding a phone up to their ear.

And most new cars have andriod or apple conectivity. Mine even reads out messages as they come in if you want.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Im all for it. People who text while driving are fucking idiots.

I recently replaced the stock head unit in my rex (which was garbage) with a kenwood carplay one so siri can do all the reading and writing for me. Was sick of my wife texting me while I was driving but couldnt respond until I got to where I was going. I would then get in trouble for not responding fast enough.

Also loving being able to use Waze now and Spotify properly

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Big fines are immoral, sure texting in the car is stupid but alternate punishments need to be looked at.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t use your phone while driving lol.. we are all guilty of it at one time or another. JUST DON’T DO IT.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
All cars either have bluetooth or an aftermarket can easily be installed. Yet, everyday, i see people actually driving holding a phone up to their ear.

And most new cars have andriod or apple conectivity. Mine even reads out messages as they come in if you want.
You can only use Bluetooth with a full licence. P platers can't even safely secure their phone and use it as a GPS, guess it's safer to have them driving blind with no navigation and cutting into lanes at the last second so they don't miss a turn lol.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Mate they should be fining QLDers for not using indicators and generally driving like L platers anyway. $1000 each. Fkn hopeless.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You can only use Bluetooth with a full licence. P platers can't even safely secure their phone and use it as a GPS, guess it's safer to have them driving blind with no navigation and cutting into lanes at the last second so they don't miss a turn lol.
Motorists survived for a hundred years without GPS.. in any case, i've never relied on phone GPS because it's never as good as an actual sat nav unit which are cheap these days (plus any half decent car nowadays has it built in).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Motorists survived for a hundred years without GPS.. in any case, i've never relied on phone GPS because it's never as good as an actual sat nav unit which are cheap these days (plus any half decent car nowadays has it built in).
I can barely go places I've been to multiple times without a GPS, I don't remember street names at all and only remember places as I approach them. I also don't know any of my bank details or passwords until I'm at the log in screen and just somehow it comes to me, so it could just be me and my brains already fried.

I also do find Google Maps on my Pixel far superior to the inbuilt navigation systems in some cars.