Status
Not open for further replies.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
my best mates son has been playing with this team

Horror day on football fields as tackle leaves player fighting for his life
CHRIS GARRY, KATE MCKENNA THE SUNDAY MAIL (QLD) JUNE 21, 2015 12:00AM

IT WAS a horror day for Queensland rugby league, with one player left fighting for his life and another taken to hospital after collapsing on the field.

Medical staff worked on Sunshine Coast prop James Ackerman for 40 minutes at Nundah’s Bishop Park after he suffered a serious head injury in his Intrust Super Cup game against Norths Devils.

Witnesses described the scenes at Bishop Park as the worst they had seen on a football field.

Teammates feared the prop had died and a hush fell over the ground as attending paramedics fought for Ackerman to regain consciousness. The footballer remained in hospital last night.

The game was called off after just four minutes when Ackerman was felled in a tackle. Reports about the nature of the tackle differ.

Falcons coach Glen Dreger said Ackerman, 25, was much improved by the time he was taken from the field by ambulance.

“He is in the best care and has improved,” he said. “We are confident about the care he has and are hoping for the best.”

Norths coach Mark Gliddon said he was unsure of the nature of the tackle that left the Sunshine Coast Falcons prop unconscious.

“I’m just glad the game was called off because the safety of the player should always come first,” he said.

“I haven’t seen a replay of the tackle and because of that I can’t comment.”

While Ackerman was fighting for his life in Brisbane, Ipswich Jets star Marmin Barba, younger brother of Ben, collapsed on the field, sending a shock wave through players and spectators. Barba, 24, fell to the ground without contact late in the game against Central Capras.

He was taken to hospital and placed on an IV drip.

Last night it was thought Barba had been suffering dehydration, but there were concerns for his health as he had suffered cancer early in his career.

The Jets revealed Barba was out of danger last night.

“Good news as Marmin Barba is just badly dehydrated and recovering well,” a social media post from the club said.

The QRL said it would ensure the best care was provided for both Ackerman and Barba.

Last edited by a moderator:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really hate to see ANY player injured or suffer a medical problem on the field no matter who he plays for. Two young guys struck down in the one weekend not good. Positive news for Barba at least but the other young man still in a very bad way. Thoughts are with them.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thoughts are with this guy. Hopefully he pulls through and leads a normal life in recovery.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Horrible news, hopefully the poor guy pulls through this. Thoughts with him and his family.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
he passed away today

RIP

tragic

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Just literally said ah **** as soon as I read that. Poor guy. Such a tragedy. RIP.

Thoughts with his family and loved ones.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
james has a wife and 2 young kids,taken way to early playing a game he loved, just spoke with my mate, he said his son and fellow storm team mates who have been playing with james team on the sunny coast are devastated.
storm will be releasing a statement very soon.

makes one realise how precious life really is, very sad day for the Ackerman family and rugby league

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Terrible news :(

Leaving behind a wife and two young kids.

Rugby League community will be in mourning over this sad, sad incident.

Almost my hear goes out to Francis Molo (the player who tackled him). Bloke will be absolutey mentally destroyed by this.

Maybe it's time to make head gear mandatory for all players?

Kayser

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Francis is contracted to the Broncos who are providing counselling. As you would expect, he's really struggling.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My husband has just gotten home from work and told me this terrible news. Life is very fleeting and it just goes to show how fragile it can be too. I feel for his family, his friends, his footy team mates and fans of his Qld club who were witness to the incident.

What a wonderful tribute "putoutyourfooty" is and it touches my heart that all fans of footy, no matter who they support can come together and offer comfort to the young man's family, at this terrible time..

His family has lost a son, his wife and children a husband and father, his team mates have lost a good friend. RIP James too young at 25 to have left us.

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Such terribly sad news. Devastating and shocking. R.I.P James

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Francis is contracted to the Broncos who are providing counselling. As you would expect, he's really struggling.
I feel terrible to have forgotten the other player in the incident. Hope that he does not feel responsible in any way as this young man who is only 20 years of age will have to live with this for the rest of his life. The fact that counselling and support is available to him is a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.