Putting garbage in someone else's bin?

Rubbish in your neighbour's bin? Yeah? Nah?

• Yes - Go for it. Fair game.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Yes, if you ask or at least have some sort of understanding.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Meh, who gives a toss?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • If you're desparate, but just don't make a habit of it.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No frigging way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ozman

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's bin night in my neighbourhood.

I put the bin out a few hours earlier, then just remembered some more stuff I wanted to put in. It wasn't late, about 8:30.

I get to my bin and one of my neighbours has put a large garbage bag of stuff in my bin. Now, luckily I still had room for my stuff, but for some reason, I still feel its poor form to do this, unless you actually ask, or at least know the person well enough to know they would be cool with it (or you have some sort of pre-arranged understanding). Probably making it worse, I suspect its the douchebag next door who I'm not really fond of.

It's not the end of the world, just lacking courtesy IMO. I know that people will say I don't own the bin and once it's on the street its fair game, but I also pay for the right to use it, and in a worse case scenario, if something get put in that shouldn't, I am the one who can get in shit with council.

What do others think? Sorry if this really exciting off-season topic has been discussed before!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If theres space no problem. If there isn't I'd have a nice word to say I need space in my own bin

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If theres space no problem. If there isn't I'd have a nice word to say I need space in my own bin
True, but the thing is, the perpetrators of this type of thing always do it under the shroud of darkness...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
All my neighbours are pigs so the bins are always full.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah, I agree. It's rude. I'd never do it.

We always seem to have more recycling than rubbish so our bin is always half empty and it's only a 120 litre bin. I always tell my neighbour to use my bin if he needs as his is always full for some reason but I'd be pissed if some random used it. If they ask I'd probably let them use it once but it's pretty shit to just use someone's bin without asking.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah, I agree. It's rude. I'd never do it.

We always seem to have more recycling than rubbish so our bin is always half empty and it's only a 120 litre bin. I always tell my neighbour to use my bin if he needs as his is always full for some reason but I'd be pissed if some random used it. If they ask I'd probably let them use it once but it's pretty shit to just use someone's bin without asking.
I've only done it a couple of times, with my neighbour who I chat with every other day. She is 89 years old, and is kind of like a surrogate grandma to the street. We swap food over the fence (her pumpkin soup is pretty awesome), chat whilst hanging out the washing etc, so there is a good underlying relationship there, and we both know we can use each other's bin.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We have a smaller general bin (thanks landlord), albeit often it's only got 2-3 bags (and our dogs poo bag from her rubbish bin) in it come rubbish night. But if the lawns are long it can easily be half full of grass alone.

This afternoon did some tree pruning out the front so topped it up with clippings.

Next door have 4 kids and 2 still nappy age, so their regular rubbish is almost always stacked full.

But if someone did it to us and left no room, and I knew who it was (and they weren't direct neighbours), they'd be getting week old mouldy dog poo loving placed on the top of their bin for when the bin truck picks it up, so it goes everywhere on their front lawn.

Side note: Around our area if the bin lid doesn't close fully, the garbage collection company will refuse to pick it up.

For me I don't mind if they ask and/or there's a verbal understanding "hey if you ever need extra bin space and mine has space feel free".. but to do it without asking and load it right up (or chuck food and shit in there without a bag), that's not on.

Dad and Mum recently had some renos done at home and had some bag of dicks dump a freestanding basketball hoop in their skip bin ... Dad was rather pissed (understandably).

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep i think it is rude unless you told them it's all good or if you are really sort of 'matey' with your neighbour.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We have a smaller general bin (thanks landlord), albeit often it's only got 2-3 bags (and our dogs poo bag from her rubbish bin) in it come rubbish night. But if the lawns are long it can easily be half full of grass alone.

This afternoon did some tree pruning out the front so topped it up with clippings.

Next door have 4 kids and 2 still nappy age, so their regular rubbish is almost always stacked full.

But if someone did it to us and left no room, and I knew who it was (and they weren't direct neighbours), they'd be getting week old mouldy dog poo loving placed on the top of their bin for when the bin truck picks it up, so it goes everywhere on their front lawn.

Side note: Around our area if the bin lid doesn't close fully, the garbage collection company will refuse to pick it up.

For me I don't mind if they ask and/or there's a verbal understanding "hey if you ever need extra bin space and mine has space feel free".. but to do it without asking and load it right up (or chuck food and shit in there without a bag), that's not on.

Dad and Mum recently had some renos done at home and had some bag of dicks dump a freestanding basketball hoop in their skip bin ... Dad was rather pissed (understandably).
In Croydon I had the smaller rubbish bin, but here in Brisbane. Our bins are the larger ones. Rubbish collected every week, recycling and "green" bin collected on alternate weeks.

Does your council have the green bins for grass/trees etc? Or are they to stingy to pay for one?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see an issue with it if it's midnight. By that time they're not putting anything more in it.

My neighbour goes around at about 10pm filling up every bin in the neighbourhood. No idea how he gets so much. Normally I don't have an issue with it but one time when my bin was already full he put two full bags in it and left the lid wide open. I came out at midnight and saw it then threw the bags on his lawn.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
True, but the thing is, the perpetrators of this type of thing always do it under the shroud of darkness...
I'd rather it go in my bin, if theres room, than the neighbour's hoarding rubbish and stinking up the neighborhood

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
When we first moved in, being the first house in the area, we had no bins for 2 weeks. Ended up having to run our household rubbish to the local tip.

I don't really care if people put stuff in our bins as long as it doesn't stink, is in bags, and doesn't result in the bin pickup being rejected.

Most people in our area though are pretty good/respectful, and only really load up their bins when moving in (and probably christmas).

Does your council have the green bins for grass/trees etc? Or are they to stingy to pay for one?
Nah Blacktown Council everything goes in one of two bins: Red (Rubbish/Garden Waste/etc), and Yellow (Recycling).

The garbos crack the shits if you have items in bags in your recycling bin (you get a letter telling you not to do it again or they'll refuse collection).

Also if either bin the lids aren't closed, they refuse pickup.

With the Rubbish/Garden waste bin it heads to Eastern Creek Resource Management Centre. All rubbish is sorted by machine/hand in order to ensure all recycling is removed, and then the leftovers taken to landfill.

You can actually do a tour of the Management Centre to see how they process it all.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It takes me two to three weeks to fill my house bin. So putting my otto out usually doesn't happen more than once a month. I can't see how people create so much rubbish in a week that they're needing to use other peoples bins.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If you can find proof it was him, ho yo his bin in the early hours of the morning and do a shit in it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When we were living in an apartment complex about 10 years back we had an Indian couple move in next door. Newly married Hindi couple. Nice people but they liked to play Indian music and carry out Hindi prayers at the crack of dawn every day.

When they moved in they had lots of rubbish left over so they filled the yellow recycling bins with the rubbish. After that they filled the red waste bins with their left over cardboard boxes.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
When we were living in an apartment complex about 10 years back we had an Indian couple move in next door. Newly married Hindi couple. Nice people but they liked to play Indian music and carry out Hindi prayers at the crack of dawn every day.

When they moved in they had lots of rubbish left over so they filled the yellow recycling bins with the rubbish. After that they filled the red waste bins with their left over cardboard boxes.
Mate, you can't blame @Indiandog for all 20 billion Indians living in Harris Park (exaggeration may be included).

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see an issue with it if it's midnight. By that time they're not putting anything more in it.

My neighbour goes around at about 10pm filling up every bin in the neighbourhood. No idea how he gets so much. Normally I don't have an issue with it but one time when my bin was already full he put two full bags in it and left the lid wide open. I came out at midnight and saw it then threw the bags on his lawn.
You should’ve emptied his bags on his fucken lawn, well within your rights to do so, and I bet he would never put shit in your bin again!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
cardboard boxes.
I cringe at the number of people who don't realise around Sydney there are several almost 24/7 recycling centres that take cardboard in infinite amounts. Same with computer / electronic gear (albeit slightly more limited).