Promoted Jeremy Marshall-King ready to do demolition job on Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When the summer began, Jeremy Marshall-King was a part-time footballer working in demolition to supplement his income. This weekend he will be a starting half-back alongside Canterbury superstar Kieran Foran.

“Absolutely, it’s been a big change,” Marshall-King said. “I’ve worked really hard to get a spot. I was a part-time player working in demolition. I’ve come so far now and I’m really excited for myself. It’s a pretty good feeling.”

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has axed Matt Frawley for the clash with Penrith, giving Marshall-King his first opportunity to start an NRL game in what will be his fourth opportunity. It’s a rapid rise given, despite making his first-grade debut for Wests Tigers in the last game of last season, the joint-venture outfit offered him only a part-time deal.

He has made the most of his opportunity at the blue and whites, impressing to the point where he has earned a contract extension and the No.6 jersey, the number worn by older brother Benji Marshall for much of his career. The two had dreamed about playing alongside each other at the Tigers, but Benji encouraged his sibling to take up a better opportunity.

“He wanted to stay here and play with me,” Benji Marshall said. “I didn’t say ‘you have to go’, I said ‘if I was you, I’d take the opportunity there.' Over there, there was more opportunity with only Michael Lichaa in front of him as starting hooker.

“I’m happy for him. He never asks me for any advice because he wants to do it on his own. I want him to do it on his own. I don’t want him to feel like I’ve helped him do anything, I want him to carve his own way. To see him get his first start, I’m pretty proud.”

Marshall-King will line up against James Maloney, one of the least experienced players coming up against one of the more seasoned. Helping him make the transition from hooker to half is Foran.

“He’s definitely a bloke to look up to, a tough player in defence and a great talker,” Marshall-King said.

“He gets everyone around the park and I can’t wait to play with him this week,

“It’s about my running game for me and taking on the line. It’s different to hooker where I normally play but I can’t wait to get out there.

In other team news, Jack Bird has been named on an extended Brisbane bench, raising the prospect of him debuting for the the club against the Tigers. Cowboys star Michael Morgan could also make his first appearance for the season in the grand final rematch against the Storm.

Ash Taylor is tipped to be fit for the Gold Coast’s encounter with the Dragons, while Luke Lewis could also make his return from injury.

Brad Arthur has resisted the temptation to make mass sackings after the 54-0 capitulation to Manly, although co-captain Beau Scott could return to the Eels line up.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pr...molition-job-on-panthers-20180320-p4z5cc.html

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's good to know, because Benji would teach him to pass it to Row X in the grandstand.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who needs Benji when you got Tolman (with Des's notes folded neatly in his socks), the busiest half in 2017.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t wait too see Him run out in the 6 along side Foran,all the best to you JMK.. Rip it up an have a good game an make the spot your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.