Professor Michelle Simpson named Aus of the Year 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Huge congratulations to Professor Michelle Simpson!!

upload_2018-1-25_22-2-5.png

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-as-quantum-physicist-michelle-yvonne-simmons

Amazing woman with a discovery that puts Australia on the forefront of quantum computing, and with potential to make massive changes and advancements in so many other fields.

Well deserved indeed!

For those wondering what this is all about, here are some videos:

Prof Andrea Morello – Talks about Quantum Computing

Prof Andrea Morello – Quantum Computing Concepts

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHSIfioizVW2uC27IFkHlSc-NgvZjBliZ

Professor Michelle Simpson TED Talk on Quantum Computation

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
What will happen at the point where Quantum computing is a reality for the mass market and the current encryption industry being wiped out? It will be like a Windows Exploit that all the hackers have been using for months until MS bring out a patch.

The transition period from say 4096bit RSA encryption to Quantum Encryption will be a nightmare which will be exploited massively.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What will happen at the point where Quantum computing is a reality for the mass market and the current encryption industry being wiped out? It will be like a Windows Exploit that all the hackers have been using for months until MS bring out a patch.

The transition period from say 4096bit RSA encryption to Quantum Encryption will be a nightmare which will be exploited massively.
Anyone relying purely on encryption to protect sensitive data is gonna have a bad time regardless. Although both fields will run side by side (those trying to hack and those trying to protect).

Keep in mind that Quantum Computing isn't designed for the mass market, but rather specific complex algorithms that current classic computers can't process in a reasonable timeframe.

I don't see the $15 million pricetag of a Quantum PC coming down anytime soon.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I remember reading up about this about 10 years ago. They were saying that encryption that currently takes 1 trillion years to crack will instead take 1 second. It really does concern you regarding data encryption and I wonder how they will counteract it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone relying purely on encryption to protect sensitive data is gonna have a bad time regardless. Although both fields will run side by side (those trying to hack and those trying to protect).

Keep in mind that Quantum Computing isn't designed for the mass market, but rather specific complex algorithms that current classic computers can't process in a reasonable timeframe.

I don't see the $15 million pricetag of a Quantum PC coming down anytime soon.
Like anything in life, it all comes down to production. The better you get at production and storage, the cheaper it'll get. It's like the lab grown hamburger that costs $2 million to make a single burger. Based on projections in 2 years from now it'll cost $10 to make a single burger.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i wonder who the male behind the scenes that gave her this knowledge?

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Deserving winner

Well done
Glad it wasn't Thurston
fucken would have had the **** kneeling at nrl games with SJW's following suite thinking they're totally tolerant and progressive

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
i wonder who the male behind the scenes that gave her this knowledge?
She works alongside Andrea Morello in parallel departments at UNSW, and she's been at it well before the 2012 TED Talk on Quantum Computing.

Very smart cookie, whose efforts literally could change the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.