Professionalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
In tonights Melb V Broncos game, I noticed Cameron Smith patting the ref on the back. And vice versa. Now, correct me if im wrong, but isnt it an offence to lay hands on the match officials? Whether it be in good gesture or not? I cant help think that CS was trying to influence the ref by being chummy with him. In any case, both the players and match officials should display the upmost of professionalism. And that includes the ref being in a mutual position and not being swayed by a "friendly" tap on the back.
Im not saying that thats what won them the game, but c'mon, this is a professional sport and not a few drunks running around the local footy field.

What do you guys think? Am i looking too much into it? Discuss.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if he was trying to get chummy it didnt work because in the next set lima got sin binned

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I think you are being ridiculously paranoid
Ridiculously paranoid??? Im just questioning the level of professionalism within the game. The ref is there to do his job and remain level headed. Not make friends on the field. Why do you think they have a ref from a different country when the tri-nations are on? So there is no biasity in the game. Just my thoughts!

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
let's propose groupie hugs at the start of each game then so nobody misses out.

you happy now? :grinning:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Ridiculously paranoid??? Im just questioning the level of professionalism within the game. The ref is there to do his job and remain level headed. Not make friends on the field. Why do you think they have a ref from a different country when the tri-nations are on? So there is no biasity in the game. Just my thoughts!
Have you ever come close to playing any sport at an elite level apart from sitting at home on a weekend and watching the NRL?

Starrdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you do have a point Gonads , This is the excact thing that is wrong on so many level in a sport that is no where near it's rival codes.
Every one knows you do not touch an offical. Ask Blocker Roach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In tonights Melb V Broncos game, I noticed Cameron Smith patting the ref on the back. And vice versa. Now, correct me if im wrong, but isnt it an offence to lay hands on the match officials? Whether it be in good gesture or not? I cant help think that CS was trying to influence the ref by being chummy with him. In any case, both the players and match officials should display the upmost of professionalism. And that includes the ref being in a mutual position and not being swayed by a "friendly" tap on the back.
Im not saying that thats what won them the game, but c'mon, this is a professional sport and not a few drunks running around the local footy field.

What do you guys think? Am i looking too much into it? Discuss.
I happen to agree with you I even mentioned it to my husband and made a comment along the lines of how the two of them were laughing and talking and that they should be more professional and I think it should come from the referee I have always thought they were too chummy they should call them by their numbers not by their first names when they need to call them out for a warning.

Starrdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happen to agree with you I even mentioned it to my husband and made a comment along the lines of how the two of them were laughing and talking and that they should be more professional and I think it should come from the referee I have always thought they were too chummy they should call them by their numbers not by their first names when they need to call them out for a warning.
Your spot on. It doesn't happen in any other sport.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's start a rumour about Smith & the refs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
let's propose groupie hugs at the start of each game then so nobody misses out.

you happy now? :grinning:
Haha. Yeah, and maybe a cup of tea will go down nicely too.

Have you ever come close to playing any sport at an elite level apart from sitting at home on a weekend and watching the NRL?

No I havent Mr. Pattenator. But I assume you have??

Ok so if the NRL is supposed to be of "elite" level, then why dont they act accordingly? Yes I know this a one off sitiuation and not really a big deal, but if they are going to be professional then they should be in all facets of the sport.

P.S Judging by your above post, it seems that you are personally attacking my ability to understand the game. Which is fine. But if you HAVE played sport on an elite level, could you please construct an argument that explains why my views are so outrageous? I would like to hear them.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbh the Ref is supposed to be on the friendlies with both captains. It allows him 2 control the game easier if the ref is seen 2 be friendly to both teams. If he isnt ppl will get up him.

A Ref is on friendly terms with team captains = Less resentment, more chance of captains actually listening 2 what he says

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tbh the Ref is supposed to be on the friendlies with both captains. It allows him 2 control the game easier if the ref is seen 2 be friendly to both teams. If he isnt ppl will get up him.

A Ref is on friendly terms with team captains = Less resentment, more chance of captains actually listening 2 what he says
I'm all for being friendly like using first names etc... But there should be no touching or getting in the refs face. It makes me sick watching English soccer/football when players rush up and get in the refs face yelling and screaming and throwing tantrums.

cmrn

can i buy a vowel please?
Reaction score
I think you're trying making something out of something so ridiculously minor.

The flipside of being friendly is the massive amount of players who try to coax the ref into blowing his whistle by pointing out any contact around the head/neck in the ruck. This happens in almost every tackle, so I wouldn't think too much into a captain patting the ref on the back.

M

mofo sixx

wtf does that have to do with anything?, how many Kennelers do or have played sport at an Elite level, I fail to see the significance!

what Gonads is saying is right!

remember Steve Roach was suspended for tapping a ref on the head in a joking gesture!

If Smith intentionally touched the ref he should be punished accordingly!

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Blocker wasn't paranoid

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score

Well, friendly to a degree. The refs judgement should not be influenced.

I think you're trying making something out of something so ridiculously minor.

The flipside of being friendly is the massive amount of players who try to coax the ref into blowing his whistle by pointing out any contact around the head/neck in the ruck. This happens in almost every tackle, so I wouldn't think too much into a captain patting the ref on the back.
Yeah it is minor mate. I know this. And im certain it wont go past this website, but its the way i see it.

And NO, im not "trying" to make something out of something minor. Just another poster with another view.

All im saying is that the relationship between ref and player should be kept at a professional level i.e not intentionally touching the ref or any match official, whether it be in good nature or not. I know if I was playing in a competitive sport, and saw a player/captain from the rival team getting chummy with the ref, Id be wary about the decisions he may or may not make.

Status
Not open for further replies.