Problematic Contracts Already?

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes, JMK, he’ll be our starting hooker in 2022 unless a miracle happens. Your right in that he’s a depth signing, but it’s really a stop gap measure until we target a marquee in 2023.

Who knows, between now and then, we could have our main guy under our noses in BBO, could develop into anything..
Brent read said on 360 yesterday that we are confident to get b smith 2023

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we ditch trying to play like Cleary/Panthers and look at the Storm, Hughes wasn't a halfack 2 years ago and they have 2 running halves.
Particularly with the 6 again as it is being refereed.
The game has developed into a game of tackle touch football!

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno on around 400k til 2024
Allen on around 500k til 2024
Elliott on around 500k til 2024

Flanno is already out of favour and barely a NSW cup halfback

Allen will not get a start over anyone in our backline next year

Elliott is a decent back rower but the sex scandals and missed tackles (17th in the NRL) outweigh any positives

Combining those contracts, thats a huge portion of our cap that could be spent on a certain star dummy half and not wasted on guys not worth it. This isnt even considering any of our signings next year could not pan out (hopefully not).
In agreement on the 3 u mention,but I’m not sure Allan is on 500k,also Allan took over the fullback spot,when Mitchell got injured and wAs out for the entire year,and did a very good job,I’m hoping that with better cattle around them next year,all 3 will impress.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we already paying part of DWZ next year also? If so, paying 4 guys to play elsewhere is back at post Des/Dib//Castle levels… we can’t do that.

that said, if there’s any truth to Flanagan SL deal and we pay 200k max then take it.

Elliot I just want GONE but the only way we can win is to get some club that is keen on him to take him in a swap.Tapine would be great but I don’t think Canberra are that stupid.

Allan I thought was 400k. Either way, I’d still keep him. We cop an injury and we have a decent back up who like it or not has played origin that can cover every position from 1-5 and possibly 6 if desperate too. He showed he can play at Souths with a decent team around him.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about Wakeham. Being left out of the bubble surely means he is even lower than Flanno. Maybe We hold Flanno but Wakeham goes to UK.

Keep Allan as insurance, if Dufty doesn’t change attitude in defence once joining the dogs Allan will be FB.

Elliot would prefer him over Waddell, think Elliot outside Burton could cause some problems for opposition teams. But TPJ even more so.

I am concerned over our right side back rower after Jackson (who is more suited to middle these days ) who can play right edge? Maybe we need Topine to spend 24 hrs a day in the gym.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we already paying part of DWZ next year also? If so, paying 4 guys to play elsewhere is back at post Des/Dib//Castle levels… we can’t do that.

that said, if there’s any truth to Flanagan SL deal and we pay 200k max then take it.

Elliot I just want GONE but the only way we can win is to get some club that is keen on him to take him in a swap.Tapine would be great but I don’t think Canberra are that stupid.

Allan I thought was 400k. Either way, I’d still keep him. We cop an injury and we have a decent back up who like it or not has played origin that can cover every position from 1-5 and possibly 6 if desperate too. He showed he can play at Souths with a decent team around him.
DWZ contract ended this year he was free to go, Warriors needed someone so we released early.

Elliot someone takes in a heartbeat if offered I believe no freight.

Allen is good depth just depends how much he is being paid, Flanagan needs to be shifted but 100%.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What about Wakeham. Being left out of the bubble surely means he is even lower than Flanno. Maybe We hold Flanno but Wakeham goes to UK.

Keep Allan as insurance, if Dufty doesn’t change attitude in defence once joining the dogs Allan will be FB.

Elliot would prefer him over Waddell, think Elliot outside Burton could cause some problems for opposition teams. But TPJ even more so.

I am concerned over our right side back rower after Jackson (who is more suited to middle these days ) who can play right edge? Maybe we need Topine to spend 24 hrs a day in the gym.
I can see both going there IMO.

BBO, JMK can back up the halves and Topine and Deitz can back up in 9.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not saying I agree with it but I think Allen will play centre next year and schoup back up at least to start the season. Don’t forget there is usually an injury or 2 in the backline pretty regularly.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not resigning over 10 players this year

In 22 and 23 that number is much lower, which is a good thing for a lot of reasons

As we refine our roster further it’s not a bad thing to have a couple players coming of contract that we do not want to re-sign that are being paid 4-500k - gives us more $”s for upgrades and to compete in the player market.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a stronger forward pack next year, hates me to say this but do we give flanno another go
Goild has already stated that Flanagan is part of our future and will not be shipped anywhere.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You're not wrong.

As soon as you start doing the sums, you figure out pretty quick - 9.6mil doesn't go far. Basically the bottom 13 of your Top 30 have to be in the $120k-$200k max region. The fact we have Stimson, Allan and Flanagan all on $350k+ playing CCup next year is going to make getting a franchise player hard.
My understanding is that the bottom four of the 30 are on 77.5k.

Also, after the meetings early this year the cap was reduced, although existing contracts were subject to the reduction. Think it was 6%, making the cap for 2022 around 9.1m.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My understanding is that the bottom four of the 30 are on 77.5k.

Also, after the meetings early this year the cap was reduced, although existing contracts were subject to the reduction. Think it was 6%, making the cap for 2022 around 9.1m.
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

So bottom 4 = $310k
Ideally the next 9 = $1.08m - $1.8m

To make your Top 17 up with ~$7.3 - $7.7mil which is ~$420k-$460k per player.

Have 4 franchise players in the $800k - $1mil and that that's drops to 13 guys on ~$315k

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

This is pretty interesting for those of that persuasion. The $200k developed player allowance can really make your roster super valuable in that 8 year mark

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Flanno is already out of favour and barely a NSW cup halfback

Allen will not get a start over anyone in our backline next year

Elliott is a decent back rower but the sex scandals and missed tackles (17th in the NRL) outweigh any positives

Combining those contracts, thats a huge portion of our cap that could be spent on a certain star dummy half and not wasted on guys not worth it. This isnt even considering any of our signings next year could not pan out (hopefully not).
I have this from good source
Flanagan 300k Rorters paid a portion. on his way out.
Allen 400k South paid approx 200k off the first year, will become a good centre.
Elliot 375k can be a better forward with less pressure.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this from good source
Flanagan 300k Rorters paid a portion. on his way out.
Allen 400k South paid approx 200k off the first year, will become a good centre.
Elliot 375k can be a better forward with less pressure.
If that’s the case then it’s not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Flanagan will probably be gone as soon as the club can get rid of him. Elliott at 375k is much better than the supposed 500k he’s on, and he’ll probably be a bench player.

Only one on too much is Allan, but he can be a backup winger/fullback/centre.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Combining those contracts, thats a huge portion of our cap that could be spent on a certain star dummy half and not wasted on guys not worth it.
You forget the West Tigers are always looking to sign other teams rejects..
look-marge-im-the-west-tigers.jpg

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ contract ended this year he was free to go, Warriors needed someone so we released early.

Elliot someone takes in a heartbeat if offered I believe no freight.

Allen is good depth just depends how much he is being paid, Flanagan needs to be shifted but 100%.
Ahh thanks, so DWZ we are paying anything for anymore.
I always thought we had him next year too. Warriors must be paying full freight next year