Opinion Probably a dumb thread, but what does everyone think of Trent Barrett?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I still can't believe we didn't go after Holbrook!!! Barrett gets a B+ on recruitment so far I would have given him an A if we were able to land Leniu.
Yeah Leniu was a bit of a blow, was cut we didn't get him.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I know we have nothing to judge him on as a bulldogs coach, but what does everyone think of Trent Barrett?
I think his signings have been good, does everyone think he fits well into the culture and history of the club?
When Hasler started coaching the dogs, I kind of felt he was taking us away from our culture of toughness, dogs of war that I and assume everyone else loves. Like it felt like we were turning into a team that was based on being clinical and that we lost bit of that character and soul.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I kind of feel the same about Barrett. But in saying that I like what he's done so far and I think we're going to be a lot better I just hope we keep our bulldog identity that coaches like Folkes really understood.
I was happy from day 1 when I heard the Dog signed TB. The riff were awful to watch until last year when Baz took over their attack and they looked like world beaters for most of the year. It's clear from his and Jacksons' interviews that finally we'll be using the football a lot more in attack than the crap that Hasler and Pay dished up after the 2012 season. That means flogging players in the off season to get them fit and having the skills to pass the ball properly and engaging multiple players in attack like the Entertainers of our golden era.
re Folkes
Great player but a very limited coach in attack. His only strength as a coach was getting the players super fit to outlast the opposition in the late 90s. He admitted that himself. Our roster in 98 was weak then but they made incredible comebacks due to their fitness. Excluding the 02 salary cap and 05 injury disaster, with the superstar roster he had between 03 and 07 he only won 1 GF. If Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson were coaching that side they would have won at least 3 GF.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A few coaches/assistants/players have mentioned how good our facilities are
they've put in some chamber, can't remember the name of it, think it might be high altitude training or something similar
It's actually the reverse of high altitude training. Called a Hyperbaric Chamber (HC), we have had one for many years, from memory it failed in Hasler's time and wasn't repaired. Time in the HC lasts between 60 to 120 minutes which can also be used as time to relax and unwind. During the sessions, players sit or lie down within the chamber that is pressurized to 3 times the level in the Earth’s atmosphere and simply breathe in and out normally. There is no recovery time, which is why it very appealing to players. Treatment sessions last between 60 to 120 minutes and they can return to their normal activities immediately afterward. For example Le Bron James often has a hyperbaric chamber session directly before a NBA game.

Keeping it simple, spending time in hyperbaric chamber is a fast-forward for healing and recovery, it works by flushing tissues with high levels of oxygen, which helps with increased stem cell activation, faster bone and cartilage regeneration plus reduced muscle fatigue. It accelerate the recovery of soft tissue by means of reducing local hypoxia, inflammation and oedema The increased pressure and oxygen-rich environment in the chamber helps the body heal itself, even after something like a concussion where it can reduce the pain, nausea, fatigue and other debilitating symptoms.

It's not side effect free, using a HC is complex and requires medical supervision and if not used properly can cause lung damage, fluid buildup and rupture of the middle ear, sinus damage, changes in vision, causing nearsightedness, or myopia and the worst of all oxygen poisoning, which can cause lung failure, fluid in the lungs, or seizures.

Why it failed and why it was not repaired is interesting.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ah yes, but he will get results because the players love him
Maybe, maybe not, but it does help attract players from elsewhere. On average we will need 10 new players every year, so it shouldn't be dismissed as unimportant.

Go Dogs

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Except for Vlasniks comment about Holbrook. Some may never be happy. I think Trent Barrett's appointment was well thought about before it happened and for the best. Time will tell. Patience my friend.....not easy I know.
Nothing wrong with Holbrook he took on a basket case of a club and the duds they gave him and they finished 9th in his first year. The year before that they were wooden spooners, while also recruiting well for 2021. That alone backs my post you quoted. Barrett during his tenure with WoManly had his fair share of problems which led him to walk out / being pushed out into the NRL coaching wilderness.

I back Barrett 99.9 % as our coach, as like you all I like what he has done so far with our roster and how committed he seems not only to the team but also to our club. The **** Hasler never showed that commitment the entire time he was with us.....( Pay did but he had no fucking idea ) in the end when the truth finally came out it was apparent to all that we were sleeping with the enemy. I'm so fucking glad he's gone. The remaining 00.1% are lingering thoughts dare I say memories of Barrett's failings his first time around as head coach because the echoes are still there. Until the season begins and we actually start stringing some wins together, those echoes will always be there. I love the enthusiasm on the Kennel this off season it beats the hum drum days of years gone by. We can't all be cheerleaders with differing opinions :grinning: but Go Barrett, Go Bulldogs!!!!

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So far so good with Baz not one problem i've heard about seems really smart, personable and a good communicator who has some good recent form with Penrith, a head coach role is a different beast however.
Hasler is MANLY through and through his results were why we signed him but we never thought about our culture being eroded with his appointment.We are poles apart from those silvertail flogs so it was always going to fail because of that factor imo.

Baz must be given time this season and some of next year too with Burton and JAC coming on board and maybe other new talent too, as mentioned results will be how he is measured and i'm sure he knows that 100%.
Hopefully he becomes a long term and premiership winning coach who also evolves before our eyes, one who has us Improving noticably through this year and launching at the finals in 22 thus opening our premiership window for 23 and 24 why not dream, it can be done with a lot of hard work and skill by a united team of quality people who love playing at or coaching the Dogs.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barrett's a good talker in interviews. By the way he talks and looks alone we've become more of an attractive destination (he also has a lot of connections). Also actually having the money to spend helps.

Almost all the negative noise in the background at the club seemed to go away after Barrett's appointment (probably a coincidence, but it has to be mentioned).

I like Barrett's recruitment targets. I think we've always had a good leadership group in the team with Jackson, Elliott and Hopoate so I'm all for targeting young guns (Cotric, Burton, Flanagan, Allan, we also went for Leniu, I'd have Hetherington and Waddell just outside this category). Barrett's also brought in JAC who's a leader (we did lose Foran and Tolman so it's still good to bring some leaders in, another at hooker would be great, Hopoate's future is also up in the air). There is still a little way to go with hopefully 2 more good signings at hooker (currently an inexperienced spine, I've heard Allan is an old head on young shoulders) and prop.

I'd need to wait until we play to judge Barrett's on field performance (which the players will play a major part in, we need to make sure we're criticising the right people). I don't have high expectations for this year (due to the roster when comparing to other teams, I do think we're starting to build a team with potential, a top hooker would change everything, Panthers finished 9th before they signed Koroisau). I think it's likely we finish in the bottom four with a possibility of finishing 9th-12th (we're currently wooden spoon favourites). We need to make sure we're not only using the ladder to judge Barrett's coaching ability.
Cannot believe we're favourites for the wooden spoon

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Holbrook he took on a basket case of a club and the duds they gave him and they finished 9th in his first year. The year before that they were wooden spooners, while also recruiting well for 2021. That alone backs my post you quoted. Barrett during his tenure with WoManly had his fair share of problems which led him to walk out / being pushed out into the NRL coaching wilderness.

I back Barrett 99.9 % as our coach, as like you all I like what he has done so far with our roster and how committed he seems not only to the team but also to our club. The c*** Hasler never showed that commitment the entire time he was with us.....( Pay did but he had no fucking idea ) in the end when the truth finally came out it was apparent to all that we were sleeping with the enemy. I'm so fucking glad he's gone. The remaining 00.1% are lingering thoughts dare I say memories of Barrett's failings his first time around as head coach because the echoes are still there. Until the season begins and we actually start stringing some wins together, those echoes will always be there. I love the enthusiasm on the Kennel this off season it beats the hum drum days of years gone by. We can't all be cheerleaders with differing opinions :grinning: but Go Barrett, Go Bulldogs!!!!
Yea Vlas. Dont get me wrong I think Holborook is good I just think Trent will be better. My opinion. Time will tell. Also like everything else you said.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attractive recruiting and retention has been awesome. But still don’t know on his coaching abilities as Head coach. Record isn’t great atm. And yeah, assistant coaching isn’t the same. Can’t wait though. I’m hoping he delivers big time.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far so good with Baz not one problem i've heard about seems really smart, personable and a good communicator who has some good recent form with Penrith, a head coach role is a different beast however.
Hasler is MANLY through and through his results were why we signed him but we never thought about our culture being eroded with his appointment.We are poles apart from those silvertail flogs so it was always going to fail because of that factor imo.

Baz must be given time this season and some of next year too with Burton and JAC coming on board and maybe other new talent too, as mentioned results will be how he is measured and i'm sure he knows that 100%.
Hopefully he becomes a long term and premiership winning coach who also evolves before our eyes, one who has us Improving noticably through this year and launching at the finals in 22 thus opening our premiership window for 23 and 24 why not dream, it can be done with a lot of hard work and skill by a united team of quality people who love playing at or coaching the Dogs.
oh TK will go crazy WHEN we win the premiership

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Biggest difference between Barrett and Hasler is that Barrett isn't afraid to have smarter guys than himself around him. Hasler could've been the greatest coach, but his ignorance and having yes men around him was his downfall in the end.

Barrett admittedly made mistakes at Manly. He'd be the first to say it. He was inexperienced and Manly wasn't the right fit for him. Everything he's done since though has been top class and in the right direction of where he needs to go to further develop as a coach and for the club to get back to its proper winning ways.

The players all seem to love him. Never seen players get behind a coach as much as they did when he was at Manly. He obviously communicates well with his team.
Exactly he wasn't afraid to admit he made big mistakes at manly and as a result went off overseas to america newzealand etc to learn from the best coaching staff probably in the world so he wanted to learn the trade the right way from the bottom up listen and learn they say . And now he has surounded himself with a great coaching and player management team,and with the signings he has made so far i think he's very much spot on with the way he's useing the knowledge he's gained along the way. I hope he turns us into the entertainers again with brutal defence like the team we used to be when teams were scared to play us
Biggest difference between Barrett and Hasler is that Barrett isn't afraid to have smarter guys than himself around him. Hasler could've been the greatest coach, but his ignorance and having yes men around him was his downfall in the end.

Barrett admittedly made mistakes at Manly. He'd be the first to say it. He was inexperienced and Manly wasn't the right fit for him. Everything he's done since though has been top class and in the right direction of where he needs to go to further develop as a coach and for the club to get back to its proper winning ways.

The players all seem to love him. Never seen players get behind a coach as much as they did when he was at Manly. He obviously communicates well with his team.
Exactly trent admitted he made big mistakes at manly and as a result took himself overseas to america,newzealamd etcto learn the trade from probably the best coaching and man management teams in the world ,allblacks etc. With the staff he has surounded himself with now he has the right mix of attacking,defence, and player management staff at his desposal.He has listened well while he has learnt the trade all over againand with the signings he has already made i really think he is spot on with the way he has aproached his new job with us. I hope he turns us into the entertainers again with brutal defence back to the days when teams actually feared playing us

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly he wasn't afraid to admit he made big mistakes at manly and as a result went off overseas to america newzealand etc to learn from the best coaching staff probably in the world so he wanted to learn the trade the right way from the bottom up listen and learn they say . And now he has surounded himself with a great coaching and player management team,and with the signings he has made so far i think he's very much spot on with the way he's useing the knowledge he's gained along the way. I hope he turns us into the entertainers again with brutal defence like the team we used to be when teams were scared to play us

Exactly trent admitted he made big mistakes at manly and as a result took himself overseas to america,newzealamd etcto learn the trade from probably the best coaching and man management teams in the world ,allblacks etc. With the staff he has surounded himself with now he has the right mix of attacking,defence, and player management staff at his desposal.He has listened well while he has learnt the trade all over againand with the signings he has already made i really think he is spot on with the way he has aproached his new job with us. I hope he turns us into the entertainers again with brutal defence back to the days when teams actually feared playing us
Sorry posted nearly the same post twice i thought id lost it

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing I love the most from TBaz so far is he has actually embraced our proud history and culture and considers himself as US rather than just THEM like Hasler did. Time will tell if he is the right coach for us but from all signs thus far he is ticking all the right boxes, let’s hope that translates to on field success! I’m sure we are all behind TBaz 100% yeah

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I’ll be happy if I don’t hear that we are trying to be dogs of war again, or the entertainers. They were very different times.
What I am impressed with Barrett is he has been honest about our weaknesses slow and unfit and has put plans in to fix it.
Mid year should be an indication if he has influenced the players, and 2022 should be very exciting

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
h dog I would just like to be called the winners
Honestly I’ll be happy if I don’t hear that we are trying to be dogs of war again, or the entertainers. They were very different times.
What I am impressed with Barrett is he has been honest about our weaknesses slow and unfit and has put plans in to fix it.
Mid year should be an indication if he has influenced the players, and 2022 should be very exciting