Opinion Probably a dumb thread, but what does everyone think of Trent Barrett?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So I know we have nothing to judge him on as a bulldogs coach, but what does everyone think of Trent Barrett?
I think his signings have been good, does everyone think he fits well into the culture and history of the club?
When Hasler started coaching the dogs, I kind of felt he was taking us away from our culture of toughness, dogs of war that I and assume everyone else loves. Like it felt like we were turning into a team that was based on being clinical and that we lost bit of that character and soul.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I kind of feel the same about Barrett. But in saying that I like what he's done so far and I think we're going to be a lot better I just hope we keep our bulldog identity that coaches like Folkes really understood.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Biggest difference between Barrett and Hasler is that Barrett isn't afraid to have smarter guys than himself around him. Hasler could've been the greatest coach, but his ignorance and having yes men around him was his downfall in the end.

Barrett admittedly made mistakes at Manly. He'd be the first to say it. He was inexperienced and Manly wasn't the right fit for him. Everything he's done since though has been top class and in the right direction of where he needs to go to further develop as a coach and for the club to get back to its proper winning ways.

The players all seem to love him. Never seen players get behind a coach as much as they did when he was at Manly. He obviously communicates well with his team.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Until games start nothing to really judge on. However to be successful in professional support you need more than character n soul - you need to be clinical in training, coaching, planning and execution - success in RL s more than just running n tackling hard - thats just a starting point.

The difference with Barrett to date is that he presents /expresses his view far more clearly and has more to say than the usual cliches.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay was supposed to bring back the “Bulldogs DNA” and it was a total disaster so I’m keeping an open mind with Tbaz.

He has impressed with the roster and coaching staff he has built and he has been saying the right things. The jury is still out if he is a extremely good assistant coach or he can actually make it as a head coach.

Only time will tell on that but I don’t have much concern about moving away from Bulldog character and culture that’s all about winning and that will come with results.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only positive change so far since his appointment. Who knows whether it gets us where we want to go yet but time will tell.

Has anyone heard of anything he has done so far that they don’t agree with?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett seems to have embraced the club and made himself part of it. Players seem to like him and he is able to attract decent quality and coaching staff.

Hasler initially used to refer to the club as "them" or "Canterbury" like he wasn't even part of it.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has so far ticked off a lot of off-field stuff. Attracts decent players... tick. Speaks openly about the history of the club and desire to be listed with great Dogs coaches, and apparently the players have had some club history lessons... tick. Has assembled a serious back room crew including Steve Hansen... tick.

Non of the on-field stuff can be ticked yet, because he hasn't been coach for a single Dogs game, so all that stuff remains to be seen. Hopefully there are some good results early and club and fans are sufficiently patient when needed.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Biggest difference between Barrett and Hasler is that Barrett isn't afraid to have smarter guys than himself around him. Hasler could've been the greatest coach, but his ignorance and having yes men around him was his downfall in the end.

Barrett admittedly made mistakes at Manly. He'd be the first to say it. He was inexperienced and Manly wasn't the right fit for him. Everything he's done since though has been top class and in the right direction of where he needs to go to further develop as a coach and for the club to get back to its proper winning ways.

The players all seem to love him. Never seen players get behind a coach as much as they did when he was at Manly. He obviously communicates well with his team.
That's good to hear, didn't realise he had such a good relationship with the players at manly.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He has so far ticked off a lot of off-field stuff. Attracts decent players... tick. Speaks openly about the history of the club and desire to be listed with great Dogs coaches, and apparently the players have had some club history lessons... tick. Has assembled a serious back room crew including Steve Hansen... tick.

Non of the on-field stuff can be ticked yet, because he hasn't been coach for a single Dogs game, so all that stuff remains to be seen. Hopefully there are some good results early and club and fans are sufficiently patient when needed.
Yeh true

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay was supposed to bring back the “Bulldogs DNA” and it was a total disaster so I’m keeping an open mind with Tbaz.

He has impressed with the roster and coaching staff he has built and he has been saying the right things. The jury is still out if he is a extremely good assistant coach or he can actually make it as a head coach.

Only time will tell on that but I don’t have much concern about moving away from Bulldog character and culture that’s all about winning and that will come with results.
Agee 100%.
I also dont mind the assistant coach appointments too. If it goes to shit we have a couple of decent caretakers ready to go haha

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agee 100%.
I also dont mind the assistant coach appointments too. If it goes to shit we have a couple of decent caretakers ready to go haha
Plus some nice pieces in the roster!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Barrett's a good talker in interviews. By the way he talks and looks alone we've become more of an attractive destination (he also has a lot of connections). Also actually having the money to spend helps.

Almost all the negative noise in the background at the club seemed to go away after Barrett's appointment (probably a coincidence, but it has to be mentioned).

I like Barrett's recruitment targets. I think we've always had a good leadership group in the team with Jackson, Elliott and Hopoate so I'm all for targeting young guns (Cotric, Burton, Flanagan, Allan, we also went for Leniu, I'd have Hetherington and Waddell just outside this category). Barrett's also brought in JAC who's a leader (we did lose Foran and Tolman so it's still good to bring some leaders in, another at hooker would be great, Hopoate's future is also up in the air). There is still a little way to go with hopefully 2 more good signings at hooker (currently an inexperienced spine, I've heard Allan is an old head on young shoulders) and prop.

I'd need to wait until we play to judge Barrett's on field performance (which the players will play a major part in, we need to make sure we're criticising the right people). I don't have high expectations for this year (due to the roster when comparing to other teams, I do think we're starting to build a team with potential, a top hooker would change everything, Panthers finished 9th before they signed Koroisau). I think it's likely we finish in the bottom four with a possibility of finishing 9th-12th (we're currently wooden spoon favourites). We need to make sure we're not only using the ladder to judge Barrett's coaching ability.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I don’t even want to think about Trent not succeeding or taking our us
all the way in a few years time
Just the thought of failure over the next let’s say 3 years then another rebuild makes me sick.
There is no more salary cap issues and everything seems pretty steady in our back office.
I’m backing him 100% and feel more than comfortable in his appointment.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler is too stubborn and set in his ways and it showed with manly he has jake truboyovic playing like a work house he won’t change. As for barrett we have tried guys who know our DNA and bla bla bla the game don’t work like that it’s a business and barrett has changed it up helped bring Steve Hansen in to help with building a successful culture, new assistants our game play has been horrible for 5-6 years needed the change.
Has helped recruit some great players burton and Addo Carr for next year and Allen and Flanagan Waddell for now . The front office has improved the board seem to have a vision with the coaches on who to target in recruitment and we the fans getting a look behind the scenes with videos etc.
ultimately the season will tell how well Barrett’s appointment is if we are scoring points it’s a step forward we needed a whole new out look to play the game we have been behind for so long it’s the kick up the ass we needed
These next 3 years are important for barrett career at manly he had a unstable board who never had any money for him for equipment etc and bozo recruiting
Here he has the facility’s the free reign to who he brought coaches outside help recruits he is a well connected and respected coach.
I say after he has coached here would be the best way to see if he is a good appointment

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far he's done smart things and hasn't said dumb things. Seems to have a good head coach filter.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was against his appointment prior to it happening. So far it seems like he has made good moves by employing a largely experienced coaching team, and some decent player signings. Hopefully it comes together and we see results

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he is a good egg.
I dont think the Panthers will do as well without him.
Im not ready to give him a reach around just yet but bigger picture, I think this year will be a positive one.