Opinion Probably a dumb thread, but what does everyone think of Trent Barrett?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know about the trial game? When its to happen and who its against?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay was supposed to bring back the “Bulldogs DNA” and it was a total disaster so I’m keeping an open mind with Tbaz.

He has impressed with the roster and coaching staff he has built and he has been saying the right things. The jury is still out if he is a extremely good assistant coach or he can actually make it as a head coach.

Only time will tell on that but I don’t have much concern about moving away from Bulldog character and culture that’s all about winning and that will come with results.

I think Trent will be a great coach even if the jury is still out at this early stage.

The point you make about assistant coaches not always being good head coaches is a very valid one. There have been quite a few at various clubs in recent years who have not made a successful transition. Let's hope Trent doesn't add his name to that list. Based on what he has said so far I suspect he will be ok. His biggest challenge I believe is to win a game refereed by one of those deplorable brothers.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he's put in place everything to help the team succeed. From the few things he has said, I'm confident we'll get better at the things we haven't been good at. For starters, we need to score one more try on average per match compared to 2020.
If we win half our games this year, I'm going to keep the faith with Barrett. 2022 with be great!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Besides Holbrook, Barrett was the next best option. I have faith in the guy to succeed for sure as he's signing quality players something we haven't done like this since 09

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Like i also said, he's football smart, results will come.
If being a head coach was just that then there wouldn't be a shortage of quality head coaches in the game. He has only ever been successful as an assistant, his stints as head coach at Manly and the lower grades have been underwhelming. Obviously he's lacking something and hopefully he has addressed it otherwise a few fans are going to be in for a massive shock.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett's recruitment thus far has been very impressive... we have had close to the worst quality spine in the league for years and Barrett has been able to attract Flanagan, Burton and Allan in 6 months as head coach

add the likes of Addo-Carr, Hetherington, Waddell etc. and you have a clear revitalisation of the FG squad which was much needed

Barrett has also shown a good eye in moving on players already in the FG squad that have had opportunities to play but have not shown themselves to be up to standard

I am also heartened to see that Barrett appreciates that it is a team effort and has looked to bring in quality support to the coaching staff - Hansen, Furner etc.

but we are still only in the early stages of his tenure as coach and there are still plenty of unanswered questions - Barrett's player management and development, results, cap management, junior identification and development, tactics, incorporating the new players coming into the club, longevity etc.

we need to be patient

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Besides Holbrook, Barrett was the next best option. I have faith in the guy to succeed for sure as he's signing quality players something we haven't done like this since 09
I still can't believe we didn't go after Holbrook!!! Barrett gets a B+ on recruitment so far I would have given him an A if we were able to land Leniu.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If being a head coach was just that then there wouldn't be a shortage of quality head coaches in the game. He has only ever been successful as an assistant, his stints as head coach at Manly and the lower grades have been underwhelming. Obviously he's lacking something and hopefully he has addressed it otherwise a few fans are going to be in for a massive shock.
I just have a gut feel the club and baz will click, good times ahead.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it is a good thread CBBD not that my opinion is worth diddly but I agree with everything that has been said so far and thread has only been up for two hours

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except for Vlasniks comment about Holbrook. Some may never be happy. I think Trent Barrett's appointment was well thought about before it happened and for the best. Time will tell. Patience my friend.....not easy I know.

fro

Waterboy
Reaction score
I had the impression from his interview late last year that he supported the dogs in his youth and if that is the case well he knows the history of the club if not he played plenty of games against us and would have learnt pretty quickly he was in for a war because he was facing a side that took pride in the jersey and I for one feel he will insist on nothing less during his coaching the dogs.
The history is there he appears to have the players on side as well having Steve Hansen to assist in coaching / management issues. The biggest plus is the support he is getting from the front office and our new sponsor. He certainly has a great attacking football brain good support staff and is working on getting the players and team he desires. I don’t expect miracles in 2021 or 2022 but anticipate 3,4 and 5 to be amazing for the club.
Just to know that the players are having a dig and leaving nothing in the shed over the next couple of years will please me, just let him prove to everyone he is the man for the job because in my opinion he is .
Go T Baz and go you mighty dogs

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barrett's a good talker in interviews. By the way he talks and looks alone we've become more of an attractive destination (he also has a lot of connections). Also actually having the money to spend helps.

Almost all the negative noise in the background at the club seemed to go away after Barrett's appointment (probably a coincidence, but it has to be mentioned).

I like Barrett's recruitment targets. I think we've always had a good leadership group in the team with Jackson, Elliott and Hopoate so I'm all for targeting young guns (Cotric, Burton, Flanagan, Allan, we also went for Leniu, I'd have Hetherington and Waddell just outside this category). Barrett's also brought in JAC who's a leader (we did lose Foran and Tolman so it's still good to bring some leaders in, another at hooker would be great, Hopoate's future is also up in the air). There is still a little way to go with hopefully 2 more good signings at hooker (currently an inexperienced spine, I've heard Allan is an old head on young shoulders) and prop.

I'd need to wait until we play to judge Barrett's on field performance (which the players will play a major part in, we need to make sure we're criticising the right people). I don't have high expectations for this year (due to the roster when comparing to other teams, I do think we're starting to build a team with potential, a top hooker would change everything, Panthers finished 9th before they signed Koroisau). I think it's likely we finish in the bottom four with a possibility of finishing 9th-12th (we're currently wooden spoon favourites). We need to make sure we're not only using the ladder to judge Barrett's coaching ability.
very true, all the problems within corporate department seems to have improved

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hasler is too stubborn and set in his ways and it showed with manly he has jake truboyovic playing like a work house he won’t change. As for barrett we have tried guys who know our DNA and bla bla bla the game don’t work like that it’s a business and barrett has changed it up helped bring Steve Hansen in to help with building a successful culture, new assistants our game play has been horrible for 5-6 years needed the change.
Has helped recruit some great players burton and Addo Carr for next year and Allen and Flanagan Waddell for now . The front office has improved the board seem to have a vision with the coaches on who to target in recruitment and we the fans getting a look behind the scenes with videos etc.
ultimately the season will tell how well Barrett’s appointment is if we are scoring points it’s a step forward we needed a whole new out look to play the game we have been behind for so long it’s the kick up the ass we needed
These next 3 years are important for barrett career at manly he had a unstable board who never had any money for him for equipment etc and bozo recruiting
Here he has the facility’s the free reign to who he brought coaches outside help recruits he is a well connected and respected coach.
I say after he has coached here would be the best way to see if he is a good appointment
A few coaches/assistants/players have mentioned how good our facilities are
they've put in some chamber, can't remember the name of it, think it might be high altitude training or something similar

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To be honest I don’t even want to think about Trent not succeeding or taking our us
all the way in a few years time
Just the thought of failure over the next let’s say 3 years then another rebuild makes me sick.
There is no more salary cap issues and everything seems pretty steady in our back office.
I’m backing him 100% and feel more than comfortable in his appointment.
lol

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He ain’t nothing till he gets our team back in the top 4 and winning grand finals. It’s been too long since last one for such a big club. Top 8 isn’t good enough cause no one wins from outside top 4. Hasler got team to grand finals for 0 titles which is also shit.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: very excited and present himself really well. Players will respond. Think he will do well