Priests eligible for JobKeeper asked to donate the extra allowance to their Catholic diocese

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06...sts-getting-jobkeeper-to-donate-back/12359600

The Catholic Church has asked some priests receiving JobKeeper to donate almost half of the payment back to the organisation.

ABC Investigations has obtained letters sent to priests about the taxpayer-funded payment which ask them to hand back some of the money to help make up for a plunge in donations from parishioners.

The letters, sent to clergy in the Diocese of Parramatta in Western Sydney, say an "amount between $500 and $700 per fortnight is recommended" to "assist with future payments and the balance sheet".

"The closure of churches and the stopping of public masses has had a drastic effect on not only our parish communities, but also the pastoral revenue collection," another letter reads.

It is unclear whether the letters were sent to all clergy in the diocese, or only those receiving JobKeeper payments.

One senior Catholic Church employee, who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution, described the church's request to the clergy as "immoral".

"One of the fundamental principles of the church, and the priests who commit to joining it, is to help the poor," the employee said.

"For the church to use these funds in this way, while so many others in their community are excluded from JobKeeper or are seriously struggling financially at the moment, is simply shocking."

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Priests are among the lowest paid people in the country. They only get something like $1150 a month - and that all comes from donations. When you consider all the work they do (which is much more than just saying mass on Saturday & Sunday) and while the Churches have been closed, they've been celebrating mass live via YouTube and not getting any money for it. A lot of Churches are aligned with schools as it allows the children to be brought up around the Catholic faith. The schools fees are higher (private education), and that allows the school to share the profits with the Church to keep them afloat.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wow I am totally shocked, and appalled, that a church priest receives jobkeeper at all!

They all may but this article only mentions Catholic Church priests being asked to donate their payments to the church.

The catholic church is one of the richest establishments in the world, and they asked for jobkeeper payments? Appalling in my view.

If other religions asked that is appalling as well.

They sought tax payer funds for their employees yet they pay no tax what so ever.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark or am I a heathen for even thinking that?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have no real problem with this. Priests generally make about $300 per week and the Church pays for their board, meals and miscellaneous expenses. Even while the churches are closed they still pay for all this stuff. I see no reason why the church shouldn't ask for some of the money back if the priests are receiving more than the usual $300 per week.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I suppose everyone is suddenly concerned about the welfare of catholic priests are they?

lol.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s the largest and one of the oldest buisness’s in the world
Always has been, and nothing more

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have no real problem with this. Priests generally make about $300 per week and the Church pays for their board, meals and miscellaneous expenses. Even while the churches are closed they still pay for all this stuff. I see no reason why the church shouldn't ask for some of the money back if the priests are receiving more than the usual $300 per week.
Because the Catholic Church is worth about 30billion dollars just in Australia......
Pretty sure they can handle the “donations decline”
Grubby organisation

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have no problems with that. When you take up the vocation to become a priest, you sacrifice your life for Christ and choose to live a life of simplicity.

Money that the church collects is used to fund missions all over the world and provide services like Schools, hospitals, etc where there is no government service.

Both my parents were educated by the church through the missions run by the Catholic nuns. I probably wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the education that my parents received from the church funded missions.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06...sts-getting-jobkeeper-to-donate-back/12359600

The Catholic Church has asked some priests receiving JobKeeper to donate almost half of the payment back to the organisation.

ABC Investigations has obtained letters sent to priests about the taxpayer-funded payment which ask them to hand back some of the money to help make up for a plunge in donations from parishioners.

The letters, sent to clergy in the Diocese of Parramatta in Western Sydney, say an "amount between $500 and $700 per fortnight is recommended" to "assist with future payments and the balance sheet".

"The closure of churches and the stopping of public masses has had a drastic effect on not only our parish communities, but also the pastoral revenue collection," another letter reads.

It is unclear whether the letters were sent to all clergy in the diocese, or only those receiving JobKeeper payments.

One senior Catholic Church employee, who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution, described the church's request to the clergy as "immoral".

"One of the fundamental principles of the church, and the priests who commit to joining it, is to help the poor," the employee said.

"For the church to use these funds in this way, while so many others in their community are excluded from JobKeeper or are seriously struggling financially at the moment, is simply shocking."
Coming from you I would say that you put it out in order to take the spotlight of your crocked rotters, which is a well known and commonly used ploy, (unless you have a deep seated hatred for the Catholic Church) all the priests I know are prepared to live on the smell of an oily rag.
I guess this might be just be another ploy by the rotters skum fans, (I've seen plenty of other methods used), to further undermine our club and see it either reallocated or relegated to the CC competition.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I have no problems with that. When you take up the vocation to become a priest, you sacrifice your life for Christ and choose to live a life of simplicity.

Money that the church collects is used to fund missions all over the world and provide services like Schools, hospitals, etc where their is no government service.

Both my parents were educated by the church through the missions run by the Catholic nuns. I probably wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the education that my parents received from the church funded missions.
Well said.

I know my local Church has missionaries in the Philippines every year - one of the poorest regions of the country, people live next to a tip and rely on food scraps found in the tip in order to survive. They do whatever they can to help them, and that included building a shelter that was resistant to monsoon weather systems which occur in that region.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The pope needs a new pair of platinum shoes so he can be a better "Christian". The Roman Catholic Church (Vatican) is Mystery Babylon.

Fkn sick of these cults parading as "religions" giving people with faith a bad name.

I love my Faith but can't stand man made religion.

Last edited:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
That woooshing sound you hear is my point flying over your head.
I understood your point about the wealth of the catholic church and it may be a fair one.

I was making a separate point about the hypocrisy of people suddenly being concerned about the welfare of catholic priests.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from you I would say that you put it out in order to take the spotlight of your crocked rotters, which is a well known and commonly used ploy, (unless you have a deep seated hatred for the Catholic Church) all the priests I know are prepared to live on the smell of an oily rag.
I guess this might be just be another ploy by the rotters skum fans, (I've seen plenty of other methods used), to further undermine our club and see it either reallocated or relegated to the CC competition.
upload_2020-6-17_13-43-57.jpeg

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The church isnt about faith. Never has been. It's just a business selling a commodity
Religion is man made which is corrupt and or corruptable.

Faith is pure and sadly most are ignorant that faith and religion are two totally different entities.

For example, I was baptized Orthodox (Religion) but I classify myself a Christian (faith). We dont need other humans or a building to talk to Our Father.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The church isnt about faith. Never has been. It's just a business selling a commodity
So all the missionaries have only joined the church for the money, just like mother Theresa did, and one nun in the Sudan (that I'm familiar with) who looks after 1000 kids whose parents have either died, or been killed in non Catholic conflicts, not to mention the priests who have devoted their lives to remain Celibate, (which is torture in this day and age), and about 98% have remained so.
BTW Are you one of those who has a real hate on the Catholic Church, and refuse to see any good in it.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if you want to make money or touch children I recommend joining the catholic church where you can do both at the same time

I guarantee the primary focus of the church has always been to extract money from people, that's why they used to kill people for simply translating the bible to a common language or for owning one

if they were interested in the most people learning about the jesus then they would love it to be translated, but they wanted the only way for people to know about it is if they come in to church and get it read to them, and hopefully while they are there they will hand over some money in the collection plate

death penalty for owning a bible lol

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The pope needs a new pair of platinum shoes so he can be a better "Christian". The Roman Catholic Church (Vatican) is Mystery Babylon.

Fkn sick of these cults parading as "religions" giving people with faith a bad name.

I love my Faith but can't stand man made religion.
Totally agree there mate, I don’t go to church specifically because most Christian churches these days are flooded with Pagan traditions and no one from the church group ever questions the leadership and the false doctrines they are teaching these days!

i was born and baptised a Catholic but ever since I’ve grown older and wiser I’ve asked questions and researched into the Catholic church and I do not consider myself Catholic anymore, I am a Christian without the denomination group, I worship and praise Yashua ( Jesus Christ ) and his word The Bible only Amen.