Priest IN Abbey GONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Canterbury- Bankstown Bulldogs today announced the signing of Canberra Raiders lock Clay Priest, in a deal that sees current Bulldogs fullback Brad Abbey, move to the Raiders.

This deal will make the Bulldogs Salary Cap compliant for next season.

Priest, 28, made his First Grade debut for the Raiders in 2016, against the Wests Tigers and has played in 31 NRL matches in the past two seasons.

The hard-working forward originally played his junior football with the Brothers club in Penrith.

Departing fullback Brad Abbey, made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs last season, playing in four First Grade matches in total.

Chairman Ray Dib was pleased to be able to finalise the deal: "Although we are extremely sad to see Brad Abbey leave, we look forward to Clay joining us at the club. After meeting with the NRL, we are pleased to announce that the club is salary cap compliant for next season and we can now put all our focus into preparing well in the coming months under new Head Coach, Dean Pay."
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/11/10/bulldogs_become_sala.html

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With a name like Clay Priest, all I have to say is Amen big fella, Welcome to the Dogs. In the immortal words of Peter Moore you can never have enough forwards :grinning:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair I think signing Priest had more to do with getting the salary cap sorted then Pay really wanting him.
I didn't look at it that way. Hopefully that is the case and we're not gonna continue this trend of buying reserve graders Hasler instilled

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol this looks like a Hasler move.
No if it was any thing like a Hasler move we would have paid him $800,000 a season on a Five year deal and back ended that bastard.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He's 28? Wow we've taken a step back from getting them young!

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We need some more forward depth, let's face it 50% of our starting pack will be gone for a large chunk of time over Origin period and then add in the loss of Graham and Kasiano, we just need some extra bodies in our squad.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Solid nothing amazing hard nosed forward on peanuts.

Abbey on reported 300k and didn’t kick on. Not bad idea. Frees cap and for 2018/2019 should give us more spending.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Solid nothing amazing hard nosed forward on peanuts.

Abbey on reported 300k and didn’t kick on. Not bad idea. Frees cap and for 2018/2019 should give us more spending.
Exactly. I agree with you. We haven't had a lock for god knows how long (seriously who was our last genuine lock? Halatau?)

Anyways. We get a genuine back rower so hopefully we don't see klemmer marking up at lock ever again. Gives us better balance. Allows Jackson to play on one edge and Klem and woods to start and even roam around the edges.

At the end of the day we have been lacking a lock and backrowers for a few years so good pick up. And like others said abbey was a long way off first grade (unless Hasler was the one holding him back) but even in reggies he was very hot and cold.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We need some more forward depth, let's face it 50% of our starting pack will be gone for a large chunk of time over Origin period and then add in the loss of Graham and Kasiano, we just need some extra bodies in our squad.
We have a heap of forwards on the books for next season, we have brought in a fair few fringe players from other clubs looking at the team lists. We probably do lack an extra experienced backrower though.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We have a heap of forwards on the books for next season, we have brought in a fair few fringe players from other clubs looking at the team lists. We probably do lack an extra experienced backrower though.
Exactly, we'll need some experience come Origin and then potential injuries, form etc. this bloke will just provide some cover on not a lot of $$$.

My point was come Origin with Graham going, it's 3 current international forwards gone + Jackson. The holes need to be filled or this will hurt us.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly, we'll need some experience come Origin and then potential injuries, form etc. this bloke will just provide some cover on not a lot of $$$.

My point was come Origin with Graham going, it's 3 current international forwards gone + Jackson. The holes need to be filled or this will hurt us.
I don't think SOO will be a major issue with how the draw is next season, so i wouldn't be that worried.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lets hope Priest can organise some help for us from up above

Status
Not open for further replies.