Opinion Pride Jersey Saga

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Please show me where those players have endorsed the comments of Kanye West?
They wear his sneakers, you know like wearing a rainbow jersey.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They wear his sneakers, you know like wearing a rainbow jersey.
Absolute nonsense and you know it. Whataboutisms are just lazy attempts at conversation. To use your own logic against you have you ever purchased Puma or Adidas sneakers or boots?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Absolute nonsense and you know it. Whataboutisms are just lazy attempts at conversation. To use your own logic against you have you ever purchased Puma or Adidas sneakers or boots?
No

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I truly believe there should be a bogans round to celebrate the yobbos Australia wide that can't play nrl because their diet and lifestyle don't allow them too.

Games should be played in blueys and stubbles with steel cap boots.

And obviously played on a Thursday as we don't work Friday through Monday.

Too many years Australia's yobbos have been overlooked, it's time we stood up, skull a beer and the think about doing something about it, then skull another beer and think some more.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like a pride round could be on its way!

We’re all equal’: V’landys reveals pride round discussions as 2023 draw loom.

NRL powerbrokers are reportedly set to discuss the introduction of a pride round into the 2023 draw, which is set to be announced on Thursday.

According to AAP, no pride round will be scheduled when the draw is initially released but it could be added to the season following upcoming ARLC meetings.

The introduction of a pride round to represent the LGBTQIA+ community was sparked after the Sea Eagles’ pride jersey saga.

From our end we have always said we want to respect everyone’s views,” V’landys said.

“We don’t want to get into politics. The reason people watch rugby league is to escape, they don’t watch it because you have a political persuasion.”

If the NRL does implement a pride round in 2023, players across multiple clubs could stand down, and Aloiai has already made it clear he won’t support the jersey next season.

However, V’landys is confident the LGBTQIA+ community can be celebrated without any parties being “upset”.

“We have to respect that (some people) have a different view to the rest of us,” V’landys said.

“The most important thing in my eyes is we’re all equal, it doesn’t matter what colour, what creed or sexual orientation.”

The Manly club wore a rainbow-trimmed jersey in Round 20, which saw seven players stand down on religious grounds.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys revealed the implementation of a pride round is being “sorted out”.

“We were always going to look at those things in the off-season,” V’landys said.

“We have plenty of time, we have 26 rounds and we don’t start for three or four months.

“That will be discussed at the next couple of Commission meetings. There has been discussion, but no final decisions made.”

Last season’s debacle saw Des Hasler and Daly Cherry-Evans front the media to apologise for a “significant mistake made by Manly”.

From Round 20 when the Sea Eagles wore the jersey, their season was derailed and Hasler’s side slipped out of finals contention.

Meanwhile, the NRL head office along with the seven players who stood down received waves of abuse.

Prop Josh Aloiai revealed in October his family had received death threats after the pride jersey saga.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Looks like a pride round could be on its way!

We’re all equal’: V’landys reveals pride round discussions as 2023 draw loom.

NRL powerbrokers are reportedly set to discuss the introduction of a pride round into the 2023 draw, which is set to be announced on Thursday.

According to AAP, no pride round will be scheduled when the draw is initially released but it could be added to the season following upcoming ARLC meetings.

The introduction of a pride round to represent the LGBTQIA+ community was sparked after the Sea Eagles’ pride jersey saga.

From our end we have always said we want to respect everyone’s views,” V’landys said.

“We don’t want to get into politics. The reason people watch rugby league is to escape, they don’t watch it because you have a political persuasion.”

If the NRL does implement a pride round in 2023, players across multiple clubs could stand down, and Aloiai has already made it clear he won’t support the jersey next season.

However, V’landys is confident the LGBTQIA+ community can be celebrated without any parties being “upset”.

“We have to respect that (some people) have a different view to the rest of us,” V’landys said.

“The most important thing in my eyes is we’re all equal, it doesn’t matter what colour, what creed or sexual orientation.”

The Manly club wore a rainbow-trimmed jersey in Round 20, which saw seven players stand down on religious grounds.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys revealed the implementation of a pride round is being “sorted out”.

“We were always going to look at those things in the off-season,” V’landys said.

“We have plenty of time, we have 26 rounds and we don’t start for three or four months.

“That will be discussed at the next couple of Commission meetings. There has been discussion, but no final decisions made.”

Last season’s debacle saw Des Hasler and Daly Cherry-Evans front the media to apologise for a “significant mistake made by Manly”.

From Round 20 when the Sea Eagles wore the jersey, their season was derailed and Hasler’s side slipped out of finals contention.

Meanwhile, the NRL head office along with the seven players who stood down received waves of abuse.

Prop Josh Aloiai revealed in October his family had received death threats after the pride jersey saga.
Can't wait for the tears :tearsofjoy:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol because we haven't already run this topic into the ground already.

I think it's a great idea to promote inclusivity, tbh. We still don't have any openly LGBTQI players in the game, which suggests to me the culture of the game isn't as accepting as some might suggest.

Having said that, the pride jersey only created controversy and negative headlines this year. I don't think a jersey is the answer as ultimately it seems to create more negativity than positivity.

I would love to see a pride round introduced, with signage and players could optionally support it by wearing a rainbow wristband, or something. I hope that is a gesture most players who don't have religious reservations would get behind.
There are very few openly gay players in most team sports. It's not just a Rugby League issue. It's more to do with the gay players not feeling comfortable coming out because of the locker room culture and them worrying about how players will accept it etc.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A pride round is over the top. What percentage of the LGBT community are Rugby League fans or have any interest in becoming one? I'd say a very small percentage. Who are they catering towards and why is it such an emphasis when the LGBT community is already accepted and welcomed in Rugby League..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There are very few openly gay players in most team sports. It's not just a Rugby League issue. It's more to do with the gay players not feeling comfortable coming out because of the locker room culture and them worrying about how players will accept it etc.
You’ve just described the exact problem. Gay athletes obviously still aren’t comfortable enough to come forward in most cases, so wouldn’t that suggest sports doing more to show acceptance in a bid to change that locker room culture would be a positive thing? You say in your comment below your reply to me that a pride round isn’t necessary, but the difficulty gay athletes have in being open about who they are suggests it could definitely do some constructive good. Who would it be hurting to have a pride round? Apart from homophobes? What’s next? We gonna scrap Indigenous round because it makes racists uncomfortable? Or maybe we should scrap women in league round because it offends sexists.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You’ve just described the exact problem. Gay athletes obviously still aren’t comfortable enough to come forward in most cases, so wouldn’t that suggest sports doing more to show acceptance in a bid to change that locker room culture would be a positive thing? You say in your comment below your reply to me that a pride round isn’t necessary, but the difficulty gay athletes have in being open about who they are suggests it could definitely do some constructive good. Who would it be hurting to have a pride round? Apart from homophobes? What’s next? We gonna scrap Indigenous round because it makes racists uncomfortable? Or maybe we should scrap women in league round because it offends sexists.
Those are fair enough points but the reality is even with the advent of a Gay Pride round, gay players aren't going to come out when the vast majority of their teamates are from religious Pacfic Island backgrounds and it'd be an uncomfortable situation, conversation and media scrutiny for them. Most people would rather avoid that and that's why they come out often in retirement.

You don't see a gay pride round in the NFL, NBA, EPL, MLB or NHL etc. And most of those leagues are far better run and more inclusive than the NRL.. That's not because they don't support the LGBT community. They do with different ventures as do the NRL. But a whole round isn't necessary as they're already welcomed and awareness is raised through other initiatives they have..

Indigenous round and Women In League round make more sense because those groups make up a huge percentage of those that play and support Rugby League. If you polled 1000 people from the LGBT community, very few care about Rugby League or would have an interest in the NRL even with a gay pride round..

If there's a gay pride round, then so be it. But why stop there? Why not have a Multicultural round. A deaf and blind round... A senior citizens round.. A cancer awareness round.. A mental health round.. A gamble responsibly round... A domestic abuse awareness round.. A drug awareness round.. A Cops Are Tops Round..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Those are fair enough points but the reality is even with the advent of a Gay Pride round, gay players aren't going to come out when the vast majority of their teamates are from religious Pacfic Island backgrounds and it'd be an uncomfortable situation, conversation and media scrutiny for them. Most people would rather avoid that and that's why they come out often in retirement.

You don't see a gay pride round in the NFL, NBA, EPL, MLB or NHL etc. And most of those leagues are far better run and more inclusive than the NRL.. That's not because they don't support the LGBT community. They do with different ventures as do the NRL. But a whole round isn't necessary as they're already welcomed and awareness is raised through other initiatives they have..

Indigenous round and Women In League round make more sense because those groups make up a huge percentage of those that play and support Rugby League. If you polled 1000 people from the LGBT community, very few care about Rugby League or would have an interest in the NRL even with a gay pride round..

If there's a gay pride round, then so be it. But why stop there? Why not have a Multicultural round. A deaf and blind round... A senior citizens round.. A cancer awareness round.. A mental health round.. A gamble responsibly round... A domestic abuse awareness round.. A drug awareness round.. A Cops Are Tops Round..
Well, you can’t have a round for every cause. I don’t think any of those groups you mentioned would feel as uncomfortable/unwelcome as LGBTQI people in league circles. Maybe that’s a good argument for the value of a pride round in itself. You don’t even have to call it pride round. Call it diversity or inclusion in league round. Who could object to that?

Gay people like sport too. The more inclusive they feel a sport is, the more likely they are to openly support it. I reckon there would be more LGBTQI league fans than you’d think.

Just my opinion. Not saying you have to agree. But op asked for all of us to share their opinions snd this is mine, I guess.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well, you can’t have a round for every cause. I don’t think any of those groups you mentioned would feel as uncomfortable/unwelcome as LGBTQI people in league circles. Maybe that’s a good argument for the value of a pride round in itself. You don’t even have to call it pride round. Call it diversity or inclusion in league round. Who could object to that?

Gay people like sport too. The more inclusive they feel a sport is, the more likely they are to openly support it. I reckon there would be more LGBTQI league fans than you’d think.

Just my opinion. Not saying you have to agree. But op asked for all of us to share their opinions snd this is mine, I guess.
All good. As someone who has two Gay uncles and a Lesbian aunt, and whose family has accepted all of their partners and friends etc, I'm incredibly empathetic and supportive of the community..

But while it's not something that will bother me as it will others, it's also something I don't think makes sense for Rugby League, or is necessary. It will probably be more divisive and bring negative headlines for the controversy it creates.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call bullshit but anyway do you think anyone who wears adidas is a bigot? Or is it just a piece of fashion? Adidas is a big brand and many people wear it so you’re poor attempts to link the Manly players to Ye is weak

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I call bullshit but anyway do you think anyone who wears adidas is a bigot? Or is it just a piece of fashion? Adidas is a big brand and many people wear it so you’re poor attempts to link the Manly players to Ye is weak
I don't give a shit what people wear, but clearly these guys do....only when they feel like it. That's my point.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
All good. As someone who has two Gay uncles and a Lesbian aunt, and whose family has accepted all of their partners and friends etc, I'm incredibly empathetic and supportive of the community..

But while it's not something that will bother me as it will others, it's also something I don't think makes sense for Rugby League, or is necessary. It will probably be more divisive and bring negative headlines for the controversy it creates.
Yes, that is a definite risk.... but you know, there was a time when an Indigenous round or Women in League round would have been met with equal derision and scorn (and still would be from some people). There's a fine line between not wanting to rock the boat and wanting to do something constructive to change the status quo.

I can see you are coming from a place of empathy and I respect that.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A genius manoeuvre by the Penn family to destabilise and dislodge Des the mumbling salary cap destroyer Hassler. Wish we had have thought of it tbh