Pressure on Hasler : Andrew Webster SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
You hear Canterbury Leagues before you see it.

The cascading waterfall at the front of the club never stops, much like it's football team.

Feeling the strain: Coach Des Hasler instructs his team during a Canterbury Bulldogs training session at Belmore. Photo: Renee McKay

"As long as the waterfall keeps flowing," says one rugby league heavy hitter, "the Bulldogs will be OK."

Advertisement
In other words, as long as the bottomless pit of money from the Leagues Club keeps flowing down Belmore Road around the corner and into Belmore Sportsground, the football club will keep humming along. They don't chase waterfalls at Canterbury, though. They chase premierships. How much longer will they be content without one?

The Bulldogs' five-year strategic plan, released a year ago, sets out the club's plans in blue and white: "Measuring our success: two grand final wins by 2019".

Their last premiership came in 2004.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

It says much about the strength of the club and the reputation of coach Des Hasler that the Bulldogs rarely come under scrutiny for what happens on the field. Since Hasler's dramatic arrival in late 2011, just days after winning the premiership with Manly, he's revolutionised the club.

Universally described as a "mad scientist", he didn't just drag the Dogs into the professional age but shoved them in front of everyone else, including Melbourne and South Sydney.

He was injecting his players with cow's blood at Manly. He was using GPS before anyone else, with the vital stats of his players coming in on this brand new thing called the iPhone.

The Bulldogs would smash it out in their rundown gym before Des arrived. Now, during a field session at Belmore, the play will break down and the coach's raspy voice will explain what went wrong as video from numerous cameras around the ground is shown on the big screen.

How much does all this cost? I've been told the Dogs spend about $15 million per year on footy, and that includes player payments. About $8 million is spent on the football program.

Hasler, who once stopped in the Brookvale tunnel at half-time as a player to pick up a 50-cent piece, was lured to Belmore for more than $1 million a season.

It's always hard to tell with these things, but other clubs are certain the Dogs spend more on football than any other NRL team.

Are they getting bang for their buck? Four finals appearances including two grand finals in the last four seasons suggests they are. Yet how much longer will the headstrong Bulldogs board be prepared to coast along without a premiership?

There's been talk for months now the board and Hasler keep butting heads over football expenditure, although this type of discussion would happen at most clubs where the coach wants to be on the cutting edge of sports science.

Hasler is contracted until the end of next season, but this is his fifth at Belmore.

Some players report he has openly admitted at training he's "under the pump". Nobody can confirm, however, if he's saying it with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. With Dessie, you never know.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

A future can be built around the likes of David Klemmer, Moses Mbye and Josh Jackson, but the window is closing. The Dogs' style of play, for what it's worth, is very limited, with most of it based off the back of captain James Graham's rampaging runs through the middle.

It's dour and it's effective in finals footy, no doubt. We saw that in 2012 when they reached the grand final. But their form has been streaky this season.

They should've beaten Manly by 50 points in the opening round with the amount of ball they had; they snuck home after the siren against Penrith; they struggled to find points against the Eels and were thumped.

At the heart of the Hasler philosophy, too, is blind faith in his players.

He was adamant Graham never bit Billy Slater's ear in the 2012 grand final, just as he was certain Klemmer never touched referee Ben Cummins in the match against Penrith. The way Hasler manipulated the Klemmer controversy showed just how streetwise he is. He played the NRL off a break.

Infamous incident: James Graham was banned for biting Billy Slater in the 2012 grand final. Photo: Channel 9, via ABC

The day after Klemmer was charged, many journalists were briefed on similar incidents that had escaped the eye of the match review committee. It was House of Cards stuff. In the end, Cummins ended up providing critical testimony in front of the judiciary and Klemmer was set free.

But the siege mentality that was so prevalent and effective at Manly can only work for so long. Des versus The System can only take them so far. On Good Friday, the Bulldogs meet South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

It comes a year since the infamous match in which Graham was penalised, Klemmer was marched, and referee Gerard Sutton had to dodge 600ml bottles of Coke as he left the field. That match brought out the worst in the Bulldogs. We'll find out this season how much they've changed.

Brian Smith once said a coach's worth isn't necessarily defined by premierships. "I'd say that, too, if I never won one," grinned a rival coach at the time. At a club like the Bulldogs can only tolerate being without one for so long.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/pressure-on-des-hasler-to-deliver-on-canterbury-bulldogs-promise-of-two-titles-by-2019-20160324-gnq6ik.html#ixzz43oa1gkG9
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
15 million? And we play like this? Bruh..

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He should be as we made a promise of 2 premierships by 2019 or something...

15 million? And we play like this? Bruh..
Tell me about it haha, Roosters make good use of 15 million atleast...

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great read. This summarizes the Bulldogs. Its almost like the journo speaks as if our club is heaven, we all have an opinion or paint a picture of it but cant be sure what it is really like. That's Canterbury for you.

Unless you are or have been part of the club, you will never know, just like most of the journos. This is why they all envy us.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a waste of 7 million dollars
Still can't organise a 5th tackle play or a flexible game plan !

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Rubbish article.

Let's just COMPLETELY overlook the fact that the club broke almost every part of their stupid 5 year masterplan bullshit they released. I mean.. where's our Bulldogs junior signed for this year?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
He's not under pressure, otherwise he would of made wholesale changes early on in the season.

Toilet paper article.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
2012 was a great start. Team play a different style to every other team. Barba had a great year. All 3 grades made the grand final I think or were up there. Since then we have gone sideways in 1st grade and backwards in every other area. Guess the club is happy with the pie graph showing membership is up, sponsorship is up, highest Syd crowd, most watched team. But the ugliest team to watch is the fans hearteache

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
referee Gerard Sutton had to dodge 600ml bottles of Coke as he left the field. Th
I thought they dodged water bottles , doesn't matter . What does matter is that the boys take full advantage of a weakened team. I swear if they go in there half hearted and only win by a point or two or God forbid lose I will start a new sack des thread myself

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2012 was a great start. Team play a different style to every other team. Barba had a great year.
Des's first year we had some great plays with decoy runner. We scored lots of points from these decoy plays , but the NRL which changes rules on a weekly basis decided to make these decoy plays illegal the following season .
That mutt Jason Taylor was whining about it every week in the papers, the bitch whined like a broken record about. He was at the Rorters at the time from memory.

We also had great support players that year in Barba and Keating and they were always on the end of the many offloads from our forwards.
I think we had the most points that season from tries starting from our 20.
We unfortunately lost the GF to the Storm who executed a rush up defence gameplay in tandem with being offside the majority of the match which stifled our attack.

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well if he is under pressure by having faith in his players, I think its time they returned that faith by playing well and smashing some teams starting with souths.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We don't have the strike power to win the comp, the backs are slower than a lot of teams forwards, we also have no kicking game or a goal kicker.... We have a ton of forwards and then a few other players to make up the numbers......

I'm actually surprised Des hasn't put Jackson in the centres, Williams at 5/8 so he could bring in 2 more forwards

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Des's first year we had some great plays with decoy runner. We scored lots of points from these decoy plays , but the NRL which changes rules on a weekly basis decided to make these decoy plays illegal the following season .
That mutt Jason Taylor was whining about it every week in the papers, the bitch whined like a broken record about. He was at the Rorters at the time from memory.

We also had great support players that year in Barba and Keating and they were always on the end of the many offloads from our forwards.
I think we had the most points that season from tries starting from our 20.
We unfortunately lost the GF to the Storm who executed a rush up defence gameplay in tandem with being offside the majority of the match which stifled our attack.
Yes all correct. We have gone sideways in terms of progress and backwards in recruitment. My opinion anyway

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The difference between us and the Roosters. Ricky Stuart took them to 3 GF's in 5 years winning 1 and he got sacked. Hasler hasn't even won one with us and he's under no pressure by the board.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The difference between us and the Roosters. Ricky Stuart took them to 3 GF's in 5 years winning 1 and he got sacked. Hasler hasn't even won one with us and he's under no pressure by the board.
That kinda ignores one important factor. Ricky Stuart didn't get fired for performance, he got fired for being Ricky Stuart.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wish Hasler has pressure on him every game lol

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
That kinda ignores one important factor. Ricky Stuart didn't get fired for performance, he got fired for being Ricky Stuart.
also ignores that the roosters didnt make the finals in 2005 and finished 2nd last in 2006

its as if jason taylor was coaching them

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wish Hasler has pressure on him every game lol
He does, there are 16 guys in the NRL for whom the pressure is relentless. As Phil Gould used to say a lot, after being a coach for 15+ years at the top level "who would be a coach?"

Status
Not open for further replies.