Preseason watch: pictures, videos, info for the 2022 preseason

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Naden and JAC wings with Schoupp/Burns/Averillo taking up two centre positions to start the season. Alamoti, Lumelume, Okunbor, Marsters, etc pushing for spots as the season goes on.

The potential combo of JAC/Naden is appealing but imo it's hardly a must have when you consider the overall makeup of the side. He's defensively poor at centre (JAC might help) and that was while playing in the top defensive side. There's a clear weakness on the wing with Cotric gone (fucked if Okunbor is a top 2 winger) and Naden would fill the hole nicely while adding much needed size to our undersized back 3.

Centres are iffy, no one at the club is established enough to demand the role so it's really just putting the pieces together as best we can and see how they go. JAC is at his best with a whole running centre inside him (Olam) and Schoupp could potentially fill the role as a whole running centre but doesn't really offer more than that at this stage. Burns could be an okay option to start the season. Right centre whoever you want from the 3.

TPJ and Hetherington in the backrow together is a liability, there's not enough work or defensive stability there. TPJ is a beast but he's no Kikau. Burton and JAC need a good hole running backrower between them and that isn't him, much better through the middle in the physical contest breaking tackles and popping offloads. Defensively he's also poor on the edge, numbers were dead set worse than Elliott there. Hetherington is a gamble on the edge and hasn't played much there at a senior level but spent time there in the juniors. He's always been a backrower and I said it when we signed him, i think I'd prefer to gamble with him on the left and have Burton coach him through a game than have TPJ there and play him away from his strengths. Right edge backrow you got me...I don't have a clue who goes there. Max King, Stimson, Topine..fucked if I know but surely the coaching staff can come up with a better pairing than TPJ/Hetherington.

Like I said in previous posts here I'm hardly a fan of how Baz wants the team to play so I'm rarely going to agree with what he throws out. Playing Averillo at halfback last season under those conditions only to dump him this season is ridiculous and totally unfair on him. Could've just played him at centre or 5/8 and let him develop there I'd that was the case instead of heaping all that unwarranted pressure on him.
Agree!
With a left hand side stacked like that every team will know where we're going we will become predictable.
Id rather Schoupp on his preferred side on the left which leaves the right hand side for Alamoti when he is ready Burns to start the sesson.
I agree Tpj needs to be in the middle with his aggression and offloads.
Im hoping Stucky/Judda have a good pre season to take the left back row but it might take time.

Reactions: jof

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wants to play edge and thats where i expect him to play
Well it took Barrett until the final round to play him there and if he plays TPJ in the 2nd row as well as people are reporting training seems to be going, I'm not overly confident. That would mean Thomo and Vaughan starting props and Patolo and Ava (maybe Max King) bench props. Leaves us a bit weak in the middle once our mains are off). Much prefer TPJ, Thomo, Vaughan and Patolo as props.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mutt generally has very valid points, however, I think a new rule should be implemented that he has to come to class with at least one positive thing to say otherwise he doesn't get to play at lunch time.
Marley just doesn't buy into the hype like the rest of the kennel

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bye bye top 8 hopes and baz if we are having okunbor and naden in the wrong positions. If averillo is losing the first half spot which idk how considering we have spent so much time developing him in this position and along with getting the coaches award ect, we have to play him in the centres which i dont see as a problem but surely its wrong that Wakeham is ahead of him. Wakeham’s a fool and has finally performed because guess what contract ends this year lmao. TPJ must be prop, played his best throughout his career at prop. Hetho at edge is likeable only good thing i liked about that training report, hopefully goes to the next level with kikau coming nek year but baz shouldn’t fuck around like this otherwise we are back to this year’s shenanigans.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well it took Barrett until the final round to play him there and if he plays TPJ in the 2nd row as well as people are reporting training seems to be going, I'm not overly confident. That would mean Thomo and Vaughan starting props and Patolo and Ava (maybe Max King) bench props. Leaves us a bit weak in the middle once our mains are off). Much prefer TPJ, Thomo, Vaughan and Patolo as props.
that will be our middle, TPJ, Thommo, Vaughn and Patolo, you nailed it

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree!
With a left hand side stacked like that every team will know where we're going we will become predictable.
Id rather Schoupp on his preferred side on the left which leaves the right hand side for Alamoti when he is ready Burns to start the sesson.
I agree Tpj needs to be in the middle with his aggression and offloads.
Im hoping Stucky/Judda have a good pre season to take the left back row but it might take time.
every team has a preferred edge

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
topine doesnt look like he has bulked up much
so you’re going off a photo where he is in the background of another player who is twice the size of him , with a contorted body. He has clearly added muscle to his frame in other photos. What u want a pic of him on the scales, fk some of u make me sick

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
so you’re going off a photo where he is in the background of another player who is twice the size of him , with a contorted body. He has clearly added muscle to his frame in other photos. What u want a pic of him on the scales, fk some of u make me sick
Calm down Steve hardly slagged him off? Commented like others have that he still looks a bit lean..a big heart only carries you so far if your conceding 10 or 15 kgs to others.