Preseason watch: pictures, videos, info for the 2022 preseason

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Updates from training (13/12/21)
- Boys looking fit but Dufty and Addo Carr both running out of puff early which is a concern
- Burtons kicking has been on point each time
- It looks to be that the left is Burton, Pangai, Naden, The Fox and the right is Wakeham, Hetherington, Shuopp, Okunbor
- Naden sustained a bit of an injury in the lower back
- Pangai, Okunbor and Patolo have been particularly impressive
- Naden and Addo Carr combo looks the goods.
- Burton has taken on the majority of the kicking with the halves shifting from Averillo, Wakeham and Bailey but it seems Wakeham has it locked in
- Overall good training session. There hasn’t been this much intensity in years from the boys.
Ok

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
- Boys looking fit but Dufty and Addo Carr both running out of puff early which is a concern
- It looks to be that the left is Burton, Pangai, Naden, The Fox and the right is Wakeham, Hetherington, Shuopp, Okunbor
- Burton has taken on the majority of the kicking with the halves shifting from Averillo, Wakeham and Bailey but it seems Wakeham has it locked in
- Overall good training session. There hasn’t been this much intensity in years from the boys.
Those edges are a disaster waiting to happen imo.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So last year we told wankham he can look elsewhere, he does an arsey drop out that goes out against the tigers now he’s our starting 7 wtf

gregeastwood

Waterboy
Reaction score
So last year we told wankham he can look elsewhere, he does an arsey drop out that goes out against the tigers now he’s our starting 7 wtf
I’m honestly surprised that Averillo was barely in the halves. At one point he was at fullback

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I confirm that the Flange spent no time in the halves?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The eternal optimist!
What? You disagree? We're stacking the left edge with our "better" players and all its going to result in is players taking time and space away from each other. We've then got a dog shit right edge (in comparison) with fuck all pace and mobility and a backrow that's going to offer very little in terms of defence. This is pretty disappointing and I guess Baz will live or die with his persistence to copy the Penrith playbook.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What? You disagree? We're stacking the left edge with our "better" players and all its going to result in is players taking time and space away from each other. We've then got a dog shit right edge (in comparison) with fuck all pace and mobility and a backrow that's going to offer very little in terms of defence. This is pretty disappointing and I guess Baz will live or die with his persistence to copy the Penrith playbook.
So what does super coach suggest?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So what does super coach suggest?
Naden and JAC wings with Schoupp/Burns/Averillo taking up two centre positions to start the season. Alamoti, Lumelume, Okunbor, Marsters, etc pushing for spots as the season goes on.

The potential combo of JAC/Naden is appealing but imo it's hardly a must have when you consider the overall makeup of the side. He's defensively poor at centre (JAC might help) and that was while playing in the top defensive side. There's a clear weakness on the wing with Cotric gone (fucked if Okunbor is a top 2 winger) and Naden would fill the hole nicely while adding much needed size to our undersized back 3.

Centres are iffy, no one at the club is established enough to demand the role so it's really just putting the pieces together as best we can and see how they go. JAC is at his best with a whole running centre inside him (Olam) and Schoupp could potentially fill the role as a whole running centre but doesn't really offer more than that at this stage. Burns could be an okay option to start the season. Right centre whoever you want from the 3.

TPJ and Hetherington in the backrow together is a liability, there's not enough work or defensive stability there. TPJ is a beast but he's no Kikau. Burton and JAC need a good hole running backrower between them and that isn't him, much better through the middle in the physical contest breaking tackles and popping offloads. Defensively he's also poor on the edge, numbers were dead set worse than Elliott there. Hetherington is a gamble on the edge and hasn't played much there at a senior level but spent time there in the juniors. He's always been a backrower and I said it when we signed him, i think I'd prefer to gamble with him on the left and have Burton coach him through a game than have TPJ there and play him away from his strengths. Right edge backrow you got me...I don't have a clue who goes there. Max King, Stimson, Topine..fucked if I know but surely the coaching staff can come up with a better pairing than TPJ/Hetherington.

Like I said in previous posts here I'm hardly a fan of how Baz wants the team to play so I'm rarely going to agree with what he throws out. Playing Averillo at halfback last season under those conditions only to dump him this season is ridiculous and totally unfair on him. Could've just played him at centre or 5/8 and let him develop there I'd that was the case instead of heaping all that unwarranted pressure on him.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Naden and JAC wings with Schoupp/Burns/Averillo taking up two centre positions to start the season. Alamoti, Lumelume, Okunbor, Marsters, etc pushing for spots as the season goes on.

The potential combo of JAC/Naden is appealing but imo it's hardly a must have when you consider the overall makeup of the side. He's defensively poor at centre (JAC might help) and that was while playing in the top defensive side. There's a clear weakness on the wing with Cotric gone (fucked if Okunbor is a top 2 winger) and Naden would fill the hole nicely while adding much needed size to our undersized back 3.

Centres are iffy, no one at the club is established enough to demand the role so it's really just putting the pieces together as best we can and see how they go. JAC is at his best with a whole running centre inside him (Olam) and Schoupp could potentially fill the role as a whole running centre but doesn't really offer more than that at this stage. Burns could be an okay option to start the season. Right centre whoever you want from the 3.

TPJ and Hetherington in the backrow together is a liability, there's not enough work or defensive stability there. TPJ is a beast but he's no Kikau. Burton and JAC need a good hole running backrower between them and that isn't him, much better through the middle in the physical contest breaking tackles and popping offloads. Defensively he's also poor on the edge, numbers were dead set worse than Elliott there. Hetherington is a gamble on the edge and hasn't played much there at a senior level but spent time there in the juniors. He's always been a backrower and I said it when we signed him, i think I'd prefer to gamble with him on the left and have Burton coach him through a game than have TPJ there and play him away from his strengths. Right edge backrow you got me...I don't have a clue who goes there. Max King, Stimson, Topine..fucked if I know but surely the coaching staff can come up with a better pairing than TPJ/Hetherington.

Like I said in previous posts here I'm hardly a fan of how Baz wants the team to play so I'm rarely going to agree with what he throws out. Playing Averillo at halfback last season under those conditions only to dump him this season is ridiculous and totally unfair on him. Could've just played him at centre or 5/8 and let him develop there I'd that was the case instead of heaping all that unwarranted pressure on him.
by playing TPJ on a edge takes away his benefits, he is the leading off loader for 2nd phase play which is needed through the middle 3rd of the field. Hetherington preferred position is edge, and that is his best position. he is no risk there and even Gus tweeted that is his best position, so i get from that he will only play on a edge. I thought Stimson finished the year well now he is injury free and but i havent seen enough of King or Judda to assess them.
Averillo has to start at 7, no doubt about that imo.
Centre and the formation of where they play is the big query. You have schoupp, Burnes, Naden, Lumi lumi, masters and Occi fighting out for those spots. Alomonti is a smokey but he is too young and no need to rush him. it all depends on combinations there.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's all academic till the team is published for round one. And Barrett could surprise you and pick the same team that you go with for round one.
In any case I'm still backing Barrett as the coach to lead us for 2022 and look forward to seeing what he can do with this fresh squad. He is the only head coach we have so death riding him so early in this preseason is very premature imho.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That leaves Flannigan out.....

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
by playing TPJ on a edge takes away his benefits, he is the leading off loader for 2nd phase play which is needed through the middle 3rd of the field. Hetherington preferred position is edge, and that is his best position. he is no risk there and even Gus tweeted that is his best position, so i get from that he will only play on a edge. I thought Stimson finished the year well now he is injury free and but i havent seen enough of King or Judda to assess them.
Averillo has to start at 7, no doubt about that imo.
Centre and the formation of where they play is the big query. You have schoupp, Burnes, Naden, Lumi lumi, masters and Occi fighting out for those spots. Alomonti is a smokey but he is too young and no need to rush him. it all depends on combinations there.
TPJ needs to play middle. Did Barrett not see what he was doing at Penrith? The best two games I've seen Hetho play (one for us, one at the Warriors) he played second row. If Barrett does the opposite of this I'm going to be frustrated as fuck.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Agree. I see Schoupp and Addo Carr left edge having similarities to Scott and Addo-Carr in their early days. No need to have Naden on left at this stage

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
TPJ needs to play middle. Did Barrett not see what he was doing at Penrith? The best two games I've seen Hetho play (one for us, one at the Warriors) he played second row. If Barrett does the opposite of this I'm going to be frustrated as fuck.
he played most games at the warriors on the edge and gus came out and said that is his best position. A family member knows Hetherington quite well and tipped me into first try scorer in the last game , ching ching. He wants to play edge and thats where i expect him to play