Predicted Dogs Team for R3

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Foran will take the ball to the line (unlike Lewis) so if we can get some of the forwards running hard at the defensive line, and they don't drop the ball, we may find a few more tries, hopefully.
Too bad Elliott's the only forward that's shown he can run a decent line these days.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd be going with
1. Jackson
2. Napa
3. RFM
4. Britt
5. Elliott
6. Sue
7. Tolman
8. Crighton
9. Ogden
10. Meaney
11. Montoya
12. Holland
13. JMK

14. Tass
15. Cogger
16. Foran
17. Lewis

Conventional thinking isn't winning us the comp this year. But my outside of the box style of play will confound and confuse opposition coaches and players. They're going to be so confused about where the attacking threats are coming from that we'll dominate for the rest of the year. Having our big boppers on the edges will allow them to steamroll the smaller players on the edges, while pace and footwork in the middle will make their forwards look silly.

My set plays would be (1) "under eights" which will basically mean that all 13 players on the field will bunch up around the player with the ball in a seething mass. Short passes to anyone in the seething mass will mean that anyone might pop up for a run.
(2) "mighty ducks" follows on from under eights. Basically every player will pretend to pop the ball inside their jersey. The goal of this play will be to draw defenders into tackling a player without the ball. Thus we get a penalty and kick for field position.
(3) "fountains" 4-6 players will flip it out and run along urinating in front of the guy with the ball. Nobody is going to want to wade into a river of piss to tackle him. This play will be benched if Todd Carney is in our opposing team as he just wouldn't care. This play is a psychological play.
(4) "the dirty Sanchez" before the ball is played, everyone in our team will put their hands down their pants and swipe their hands along their butt cracks. After this they'll attempt to get a hand in the face of anyone attempting to tackle them. This is a psychological play like fountains. Keeping the defender at bay is the name of the game.
(5) "streakers" this play will be used when Matt cechin is our referee. Our most buff players will get nekkid and distract the referee by asking what he's doing after the game, while the guy with the ball will kick it out, meanwhile someone else will run into our tryline where we'll conveniently have one of our water runners waiting with another ball to score.

This obviously isn't the complete list of set plays. But along with my outside the box thinking on player positions, I think it's a good few to start with.

Reactions: mez

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'd be going with
1. Jackson
2. Napa
3. RFM
4. Britt
5. Elliott
6. Sue
7. Tolman
8. Crighton
9. Ogden
10. Meaney
11. Montoya
12. Holland
13. JMK

14. Tass
15. Cogger
16. Foran
17. Lewis

Conventional thinking isn't winning us the comp this year. But my outside of the box style of play will confound and confuse opposition coaches and players. They're going to be so confused about where the attacking threats are coming from that we'll dominate for the rest of the year. Having our big boppers on the edges will allow them to steamroll the smaller players on the edges, while pace and footwork in the middle will make their forwards look silly.

My set plays would be (1) "under eights" which will basically mean that all 13 players on the field will bunch up around the player with the ball in a seething mass. Short passes to anyone in the seething mass will mean that anyone might pop up for a run.
(2) "mighty ducks" follows on from under eights. Basically every player will pretend to pop the ball inside their jersey. The goal of this play will be to draw defenders into tackling a player without the ball. Thus we get a penalty and kick for field position.
(3) "fountains" 4-6 players will flip it out and run along urinating in front of the guy with the ball. Nobody is going to want to wade into a river of piss to tackle him. This play will be benched if Todd Carney is in our opposing team as he just wouldn't care. This play is a psychological play.
(4) "the dirty Sanchez" before the ball is played, everyone in our team will put their hands down their pants and swipe their hands along their butt cracks. After this they'll attempt to get a hand in the face of anyone attempting to tackle them. This is a psychological play like fountains. Keeping the defender at bay is the name of the game.
(5) "streakers" this play will be used when Matt cechin is our referee. Our most buff players will get nekkid and distract the referee by asking what he's doing after the game, while the guy with the ball will kick it out, meanwhile someone else will run into our tryline where we'll conveniently have one of our water runners waiting with another ball to score.

This obviously isn't the complete list of set plays. But along with my outside the box thinking on player positions, I think it's a good few to start with.
Outstanding. Tactical wizardry.
Will you throw your hat in the ring as a coaching option for 2021 onwards? :-).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Outstanding. Tactical wizardry.
Will you throw your hat in the ring as a coaching option for 2021 onwards? :-).
I'm planning to dirty Sanchez Pay out of the office. I'm a coach that's prepared to get my hands dirty.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
And that's exactly what's wrong with the club :grinning:
Technically I think he's the worst fullback in the league... It's hidden by the fact he runs hard and competes. No passing game or kicking game and can be suss under the high ball. Wing or nothing imo.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Too bad Elliott's the only forward that's shown he can run a decent line these days.
I think with CHN gone and what we currently have that Elliot needs to be on the edge.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The old saying goes don’t weaken one position to strengthen another. Pay took it a step further weakening 2 positions and strengthening none.

Remis moves back to wing. If not we won’t be competitive (think Crichton with the line open so many times against the cowboys, made them look like they were the best defensive team of the century). Team Smith back up with hoppa. They have some cohesion. And hoppa isn’t a ball hog which plays into Remis hands.

Crichton isn’t nrl standards. Maybe a backup at best. But shouldn’t be a nrl starter.

I’d go averilo at centre. For mine and what I have seen of Harper he has the hands of okunbor. Guy can drop a ball with no one around him. I still haven’t seen enough of him to slot him in. Also defensively is a big liability.

But for the sake of picking the best team Smith to wing is a must.

Don’t know the Foran situation at all. Haven’t been following it. But will he be ready for first grade in 2 weeks? Guy wouldn’t have had any contact work for months. His conditioning would be shot. Might be worth giving him another 2-3 weeks just to work his fitness back.

I do like the look of prison mike’s team. With pays future on the line I hope he doesn’t go with his favourites and does try something different as a bottom 6 finish should theoretically cost him his career.

In all respects we aren’t a top 8 team. But my problem is the way we play. Fair enough it’s not a premiership team. But can we Atleast score more then 1 try a game? And can we finish 1 set in the second half. That will be enough for me :p

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The old saying goes don’t weaken one position to strengthen another. Pay took it a step further weakening 2 positions and strengthening none.

Remis moves back to wing. If not we won’t be competitive (think Crichton with the line open so many times against the cowboys, made them look like they were the best defensive team of the century). Team Smith back up with hoppa. They have some cohesion. And hoppa isn’t a ball hog which plays into Remis hands.

Crichton isn’t nrl standards. Maybe a backup at best. But shouldn’t be a nrl starter.

I’d go averilo at centre. For mine and what I have seen of Harper he has the hands of okunbor. Guy can drop a ball with no one around him. I still haven’t seen enough of him to slot him in. Also defensively is a big liability.

But for the sake of picking the best team Smith to wing is a must.

Don’t know the Foran situation at all. Haven’t been following it. But will he be ready for first grade in 2 weeks? Guy wouldn’t have had any contact work for months. His conditioning would be shot. Might be worth giving him another 2-3 weeks just to work his fitness back.

I do like the look of prison mike’s team. With pays future on the line I hope he doesn’t go with his favourites and does try something different as a bottom 6 finish should theoretically cost him his career.

In all respects we aren’t a top 8 team. But my problem is the way we play. Fair enough it’s not a premiership team. But can we Atleast score more then 1 try a game? And can we finish 1 set in the second half. That will be enough for me :p
I agree completely and particularly the bottom comments.

If we played some expansive footy and at least chanced our arm in attack, we would be able to definitively say "Lewis isn't a polished half" or "Holland can't convert a 2 on 1". This conservative style really protects these type of players with no attacking threat at all.

I may be eating my words, but I would prefer to lose by 30 points knowing we had a crack in attack rather than the frustrating turd we have been producing for the past 5 years.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Predicted team for r3 by foxsports yesterday. Apart from chris smith, which i read somewhere else today is still 6 weeks away from returning to full training, this is close to what we have.

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 2. Nick Meaney 3. Reimis Smith 4. Will Hopoate 5. Christian Crichton 6. Brandon Wakeham 7. Kieran Foran 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Dylan Napa 11. Josh Jackson 12. Dean Britt 13. Adam Elliott 14. Chris Smith 15. Renouf To’omaga 16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 17. Jake Averillo

Analysis: The big in for the Bulldogs is chief playmaker Kieran Foran who is a high chance of returning. The 29-year-old faced missing the entire season when he had surgery but all reports prior to the season shutdown said he was ahead of schedule. Considering Lachlan Lewis was benched in their last outing, Dean Pay is likely to stick with young gun Brandon Wakeham to partner Foran in the halves. Chris Smith is also expected to return from a knee injury, while Joe Stimson is possibly ruled out for the season after shoulder surgery.
I like Lewis for his defence. He isn't afraid to take on the big front rowers - why not put him in as No.8 ?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

If we played some expansive footy and at least chanced our arm in attack, we would be able to definitively say "Lewis isn't a polished half" or "Holland can't convert a 2 on 1". This conservative style really protects these type of players with no attacking threat at all.

I may be eating my words, but I would prefer to lose by 30 points knowing we had a crack in attack rather than the frustrating turd we have been producing for the past 5 years.
Why not? - we get beaten by 30 either way, if we're consistent with the last two seasons.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Tom Turbo
2. Addo Carr
3. L Mitchell
4. James Roberts
5. Jordan Rapana.....

Anyone like the look of that... Apparantly it Could have been our backline going by Kennel posts..
Two of them would have been de-registered if they were Bulldogs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Quick update, Foran has been training since the second operation, obviously not on the operated on shoulder but the rest has been subject to his usual heavy workload fitness regimine. He works harder on his recovery than most, some would say that's because he has plenty of experience at it. I have seen him face to face in the last 2 weeks and he looks fit, real fit. Sure he will need some contact work, but there is time for that.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/05/06/foran-inches-closer-to-nrl-return/

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We scored 3 tries against the Cowboys. The second half wasn't our problem, we won that half 10 to 2, the first half in comparison was just horrid.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's pose a simple question, what if the players are not capable of playing anything but a "conservative style"? They simply don't have the attacking flair to play any other way?

Not defending him, but I have seen him do it enough times to be confident that Holland can convert a 2 on 1, the problem is he doesn't get that opportunity.

Go Dogs

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We scored 3 tries against the Cowboys. The second half wasn't our problem, we won that half 10 to 2, the first half in comparison was just horrid.

Go Dogs
Sorry. I should have said parra. I confused the games :p

still regardless, we do play a dreary form of football be it either through unskilled players or lack of game plan or both.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's pose a simple question, what if the players are not capable of playing anything but a "conservative style"? They simply don't have the attacking flair to play any other way?

Not defending him, but I have seen him do it enough times to be confident that Holland can convert a 2 on 1, the problem is he doesn't get that opportunity.

Go Dogs
I agree with you on the first part...If you have lemons make lemonade !!!
As for Holland I don't trust his defense
I previously based my team selection on a good combination

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sione Katoa is one of the players refusing to get the flu shot and the government has come out today and said the NRL told them that all players will have the shot as one of their conditions to playing again.

So we could be down another player and JMK the only hooker in the squad.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Averillo
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. Britt
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. Katoa
15. To’omaga
16. RFM
17. Ogden

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sione Katoa is one of the players refusing to get the flu shot and the government has come out today and said the NRL told them that all players will have the shot as one of their conditions to playing again.

So we could be down another player and JMK the only hooker in the squad.
Expect Katoa to be de-registered shortly then for bringing the game into disrepute

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Harper
4. Hopoate
5. Smith
6. Averillo
7. Wakeham
8. To’omaga
9. JMK