Opinion Pre season training.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
No matter how hard we train or prepare, we aren’t even close to making a dent in the 2020 NRL season

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem for us the last couple years has been our inconsistency and mistake rates,in the early season games,the other problem is playing 25 rounds it becomes more of a mental grind every week

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd love to know why we play fuck all trials...Bellamy organised extra trials behind closed doors last preseason yet our players got 40 minutes.
This is more the point for mine.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the training done in the preseason, it’s the match fitness, where we seem to be lacking.
Running up sand dunes can never prepare you for playing footy and making decisions under pressure, whilst fatigued.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd love to know why we play fuck all trials...Bellamy organised extra trials behind closed doors last preseason yet our players got 40 minutes.
That's a lie bro we had two massive skins vs shirts and possibles vs probables hit outs. More than enough /s

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Was this the first year we only had one official trial? It might revert back to two now. We had one behind closed doors too though

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously we are running out of things to discuss on here

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Too many "let's just hope Pay..." posts.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Too much inexperience - too much drop ball meant we were always going to worker harder defending and fatiguing more than more experienced teams with a few super stars to lead the way. Let’s hope 2020 - our experience and confidence is on higher platform to leverage a lot more wins.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's both tbh. Like I said, it's a balancing act. This is something Paul McGregor has clearly struggled with over the years, even with a quality team at his disosal. Let's just hope that Pay can get the balance right this year.
No sorry have to disagree there.. the dragons are just soft, always have been.
Dont need to balance shit really with the right mob of blokes that are just fit hard and fast.
Canberra have pomys that have taken them to grand final in one season.
If they played for us the mediocre crew would give them 7 years to acclimate to the belmore weather lol.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can’t finish a season as strong as we’ve done without being physically fit at the start. Match fitness builds during the season but not overall physical fitness.

Our problem with starting seasons is a mental one. Extra trials would help with that. The excellent mentality in defence that we finished with gives me more hope for next year. Pays biggest task is to ensure we maintain that.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bit early, let em get drunk and sleep in for a bit after that.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate the rule but we definitely need to make the most of it
worst rule they ever brought in, it's sloppy... I thought it did go against them in the latter stages of their last Roosters clash though as JWH was gaining plenty of extra yardage by dragging players up field as they attempted to strip the ball, so they will want to be careful next week.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate the rule but we definitely need to make the most of it
I’m not a fan either but if we can exploit like the Raiders have then I’m not going to complain. It can turn the momentum in a instant.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You can’t finish a season as strong as we’ve done without being physically fit at the start. Match fitness builds during the season but not overall physical fitness.

Our problem with starting seasons is a mental one. Extra trials would help with that. The excellent mentality in defence that we finished with gives me more hope for next year. Pays biggest task is to ensure we maintain that.
In that linked article, Hodgson says "effort wins games". Our effort ramped up 100% late in the season from our start. That's what Pay needs to address.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep something needs to change in the fitness dept if we are to have a good start next year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
worst rule they ever brought in, it's sloppy... I thought it did go against them in the latter stages of their last Roosters clash though as JWH was gaining plenty of extra yardage by dragging players up field as they attempted to strip the ball, so they will want to be careful next week.
I love the rule, brings more opportunities for quick counter attacks in footy. Also want to see the free play rule brought in after an error, would love to see players just cut loose for a tackle knowing they will get the ball back if they make an error.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I love the rule, brings more opportunities for quick counter attacks in footy. Also want to see the free play rule brought in after an error, would love to see players just cut loose for a tackle knowing they will get the ball back if they make an error.
It can turn what can already be a scrappy game to unwatchable in my opinion when everyone is tugging at the ball constantly and 1 in 20 times it works and the ball doesn’t hit the ground