Pre Season cup for 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be great if the NRL organised a pre season cup , like they do in the AFL with the Wizard cup , and get a major company to sponsor it , and show it on channel 9 and Foxtel , and run it over 4 or 5 weeks before the season , and have a break the weekend before the comp starts , I know the season is long enough as it is but the clubs can just rest players if they dont want them to get injured , it would just be great to watch some footy on TV and get a pre- season comp going , just so we can see what sort of form the players have going into the season , it would be better than just having random trials that are not televised and just getting the score every week. They could maybe play 4 quarters of 17 and a half minutes each and have drinks breaks after the first and third quarters and have an extended break at half time , just so the match is shortened by 10 minutes and they get extra breaks for the heat , along with a 6 or 7 man bench with unlimited interchange.Although im not sure what sort of format they could use in terms of the draw for it. What are your thoughts?

Gutty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In theory it would be awesome mate....but i honestly think the season is long enough and many coaches would still maintain the practice of playing "second stringers" until the season starts ! Like i said though...it would be awesome if it happened !

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I suppose it would great to see more football but i agree with 'Gutty' in that the season is probaly long enough as is and i wouldnt want our best players to be gettin injured. Mad idea though.

Reaction score
Brilliant idea. Wont happen. Not like AFL, more physical, the AFL panseys can play more games.

B

Bwaif

yeah true... they wouldnt use the high profile players, they'd want to maintain fitness and would never take it seriously. It'd be great to watch more footy in the off season... but the season is long enough, especially for rrep players too who have to go on tour for the tri nations and all that.

*Doggiez Angel*

Sponsored by Playboy
Reaction score
Good idea mate, but yeah i couldn't see it happening anyway, and if it did they would not use the high profile players, the only thing the matters the most to the teams, coaches etc is the PREMIERSHIP TROPHY!!

daniel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah thats the ultimate goal but it would just be good to get it on TV , theres not much on at this time of year.

~doggie~diva~

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
folkesy's attitude towards it would probably be similiar to that of the world 7s tournament.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is how it could work..

I posted something about this last week so here is the basic idea I had then for a pre-season...

All 15 NRL clubs plus 5 others, NSW Country, QLD Country, QLD Cup winners and two Group winners from the NSWRL. Week one teams are seeded based on previous seasons table finish. The 5 new club are slotted in at spots 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15. The Top ten match off ie: 1V10, 2V9 and so on. So Round one looks like this (based on 2004 table)....

Pool A
Roosters V Nth QLD
Bulldogs V QLD Country
NSW Country V Melburne
Brisbane V St. George
Penrith V QLD Cup Winners

Pool B
Canberra V Souths
Group Winners A V New Zealand
Wests Tigers V Manly
Newcastle V Parramatta
Group Winners B V Cronulla

The TOP 8 ranked winners from Week One go into Week Two. Then the 4 Week Two winners go into the semis then the Final in Week 4 with a double header seeing the semi losers playing for third spot.

The key to this comp being the rule changes. All NRL clubs only allowed to field 6 1st grade players from previous year to even up for 5 invitational sides. A try scored from within your own half on same tackle would give 6 points instead of normal 4 to entice entertaining football. No scrum, just a turnover. Also all NRL clubs to play in their heritage kits.

The games could be taken to the country and televised on Fox Sports. I know this could be an entertaining pre-season idea that tends to lead back to the Amco Cup style of comp but i'm sure it would be a huge boost for country football.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
love the idea but coaches will dissaprove... it will give the fans alot more cause i need NRL to get me thru my year.. from october till march i jus sit round the news waiting for NRL news to live... wud b awesome but dun get ur hopes up !

L

Lobo

A long time back before the temporary ARL/Super league split there was a pre season cup that existed.

And clubs would participate in them with fairly strong sides (right after they even had sevens!) as the cup winner got a fairly good reward (back then in the 90s).

Super league and News Ltd came and it was good game rugby league popularity thus the club cuts that followed, cut of the pre season cup, dropping of the common monday night game and the once on occasion sevens tourney.

Bulldog Power

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** it

dont worry the season will start soon enough.... I couldnt give a toss about playing or winning a pre season comps

only clubs who never win anything care... its lame.... we have trials for a reason... we dont need a pre season cup at all

Status
Not open for further replies.