Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Praise for Napa after eye-catching cameo against Raiders

Scott Hazlewood
NRL.com
Reporter
Sat 23 Feb 2019, 08:15 PM
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/23/praise-for-dylan-napa-after-eye-catching-cameo-against-raiders/

Canterbury captain Josh Jackson said new recruit Dylan Napa showed plenty of positive signs despite limited playing time in Saturday night's 28-22 trial loss to Canberra in Bega.

After an off-season plagued with controversy, Napa wasted little time ripping into the Raiders' pack with plenty of aggression as he led from the front.

"That's why we brought him, he's pretty well renowned for being aggressive and he got us moving forward in the game," Jackson said.

Napa ended his first stint with ice on his left knee shortly before half-time, but Jackson said it was merely precautionary.

"I think that was the plan all along, play him (Napa) for about the first 25 to 30 minutes and then rest them. We don't want to risk too many injuries," Jackson said.

"He was fantastic for us today and he's been looking forward to get onto the field and playing some footy finally.

"It's good he put in a good performance and he can move on."

Canterbury's pups got a chance to press their claims for a bigger role in 2019, with 30 players brought to the South Coast for the trial.

Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson.©Keegan Carroll/NRL Photos
Jack Cogger was given an early chance to put pressure on the existing halves, starting at halfback in place of Lachlan Lewis.

Jackson said giving everybody the playing time they wanted was the toughest task of the trial, but the time in front of coach Dean Pay will pay dividends throughout the season as competition for spots heats up.

"It was a good hit-out, obviously it was going to be a bit difficult we brought a pretty big squad down and there was a fair few rotations, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with the hit out," he said.

Despite the loss there were plenty of positive signs for the Bulldogs ahead of round one.

The team's overall line speed and discipline in defence on their try-line will give Pay reason to feel confident of finishing higher than last season's 12th.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know he is going to be good for us.. he's just an old style of player who loves getting out there and ripping in

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t know about everyone else but I had big problems with locking down the live feed for first 5/6 minutes of the game. Plus, when I watched it later, I noticed the replay didn’t start until 4/5 minutes into the game. That takes a chunk out of Napa’s playing time, I could hear some of the audio (no video) and it seemed like he had a lot of heavy duty carries and made a decent impact in defence.

It will be interesting to see how he is played. I suspect 20 to 30 minutes in the 1st half, starting or off the bench, it doesn’t matter much. Then inserted as appropriate in the 2nd half. Say 50 to 60 minutes per game, I don’t see him as an 70/80 minute player.

Go Dogs

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It felt like he was the leader of our pack. Like he always had been. Pretty inspiring.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
“Despite limited time”??? Has anything changed lol

The guy only plays 20 min
Where a klemmer was 65 of full brute metres

I am still not a fan of Napa purchase. With that money- would have bought a gun hooker or half

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

I am still not a fan of Napa purchase. With that money- would have bought a gun hooker or half
I’m with you on this one.

He will be giving away a lot of penalties, less metres and less minutes.

Only pro I can see is he can lift the squad with his style of play if we have our heads down. Other than that........

I hope he proves me wrong

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Why compare him to Klemmer?

Klemmer left us high and dry, did the dirty on the club at a shit time and the club did their best and went to the market and found a prop with Origin experience looking for an opportunity.

Give the guy some credit, go back and watch the impact he had last night and stop with the Klemmer comparisons, I can’t stand that fuck!

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Klemmer left us high and dry, did the dirty on the club at a shit time and the club did their best and went to the market and found a prop with Origin experience looking for an opportunity.

Give the guy some credit, go back and watch the impact he had last night and stop with the Klemmer comparisons, I can’t stand that fuck!
There are many reasons we should be glad to be rid of Klemmer.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klemmer may have played 65 min but I never really rated him. He rarely offloaded...he never played the ball quick, he was always got turtled & he gave away a lot of stupid penalties including sinbins. Napa inspires his team mates far more than Klemmer ever did because, lets face it, he actually does have the runs on the board for burying opposition players. Yesterday he took the hard runs and did take the steam out of canberra's engine room. I was pretty happy with him.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Klemmer wouldn’t have played more than 20 mins in a trial either.
Trial mins is no indication of of potential game minutes.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Klemmer wouldn’t have played more than 20 mins in a trial either.
Trial mins is no indication of of potential game minutes.
One of Napa’s first carries he got bent backwards awkwardly and his knees went under him. Could have easily done a medial (hence the ice pack and early shower). But he toughed it out, raised his intensity and led from the front like a true Bulldog.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not critical of Napa being signed, just a prop. I am critical that with the weaknesses in our key positions, the Klemmer money wasn't put aside for a gun hooker, full back or half. Hope Napa goes really well, but still wouldn't have bought him.