News Potter wants permanent Bulldogs NRL role

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you watch his press conference today, he wants the job! I feel as though Ciraldo is far from a done deal, that's my take.
@Bulldogsteve said Ciraldo was a done deal. His mail is almost always spot on (unlike some of the other clowns on here to claim to have mail)

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
@Bulldogsteve said Ciraldo was a done deal. His mail is almost always spot on (unlike some of the other clowns on here to claim to have mail)
Potts would be in the loop surely. Just sounded like it's still game on. I hope he's with the club in some capacity. He generally shuts the coaching talk down pretty quickly, he let it ride for several questions.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
End of the day Potter walked into shithole and has turned it into a threat in a matter of a few weeks using players who prior to his arrival were seen piss poor. We beat lower sides easily, most likely can beat mid table sides and hopefully on Sunday give cowboys a hard game.

In a matter of a few weeks without an off-season he has turned us from spooners to top 8 contenders. Ciraldos a rookie, even if he has the tactical brain of a Bellamy are the players going to respect him how they respect Potter, can he lead a side and discipline 17 players?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
For something like a new coach signing, "almost always" isnt good enough, ill believe it when its announced. Until then its a rumour. A possibility. I still dont believe its settled yet. In reality they dont need to decide until after the finals, before preseason.

Not impossible they will see how long we keep this form before deciding. If we finished off the year the same way as the last 6 weeks, i cant see why they wouldnt offer Potter the job.

We brought in Baz. We would have been stoked if he had had the same effect on the players Potter has, since the start of his tenure. He would still be coach and revered. Now we have after a few failed attempts found someone who makes the side work, and we would move him on from the job?

It also happens in NRL sides that a "replacement" player can play themselves into the main side. Make themselves undroppable. Why cant a coach?

Last edited:

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What has Ciraldo proven so far? He's never been head coach, he's never rebuilt a club from scratch. What's his record of a cellar dweller team into real contenders?
What had Fitzgibbon done? Seems to be going well. Both coaches were highly regarded for a good reason.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking I’ve got this correct….. dogs play embarrassing footy for three years week in and week out…. Then a club stalwart comes in and has them playing like a top 8 side almost overnight…..competitive in every game he’s been there, and winning a fair share of matches…..and rather than sign him up, we’re still considering between an unproven assistant coach with zero historical links to the club and a coach who’s been previously banned from the game. Seriously?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He doesn't need to say anything about Ciraldo.

The point is that everyone is pointing to our current form as proof we should keep Potter, whereas he's saying he's relatively unproven which is entirely true.

When has a caretaker in any sport ultimately lead to prolonged success at the club? Short-term they often look like the answer, but long-term it's very very rarely a success.
Paul Roos Sydney Swans.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s a win win either way for Potter…

Stay on next year as an assistant to possibly (Ciraldo) at the Dogs or maybe someone like the Titans or Knights might take a punt on him as their head coach after what he’s been able to achieve in a short space of time at the Dogs

Potsy will be fine… that I believe
Well he's upped his CV.
Selfishly I want him to stay even if its assistant coach.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That old saying comes to mind.. don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Our future coach is staring us in the face and already in the seat. Potsy has shown what he can achieve in a short time, the fact he's a Bulldogs legend is a nice bonus! It's a no-brainer ffs.

Forget getting another Penrith ass. in Ciraldo. I'd not be enthused at all if he's signed tbh. I don't care if he's the greatest future coach, he's a Penrith and Cronulla man, and untested. Just look at all the highly touted assistant coaches that have failed to fire... Adam O'Brien and Tbaz to name a couple of recent ones.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you watch his press conference today, he wants the job! I feel as though Ciraldo is far from a done deal, that's my take.
I agree. Something's changed in the last week or so. I'll believe it's Ciraldo when I see it announced.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The other thing to think about with caretaker coaches is that they are generally put there as a stop gap measure & are never intended to be appointed the following season. The turnaround under Potter, in my opinion, has far exceeded what almost all caretaker coaches have achieved. He took a side which quite frankly couldn't score (averaged about 10 points under Barrett) & more than doubled the scoring in a couple of weeks. And the defence was starting to get out of hand until we started playing some of the other also rans. The first 3 games under Potter we had more than 30 points scored against us each week, but since then (except the Souths game) it's been pretty good.

Sometimes great things get dropped in your lap. I reckon Potter is at least worth a try. At least we & the players know what we are getting. Ciraldo is an unknown. Who knows? Maybe he will have a personality clash with an important player like Flanagan for instance. Then how could we bare to lose the next Johnathan Thurston?