News Potter wants permanent Bulldogs NRL role

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's going to be some vacancies at other clubs and Potter will be chased, he is a decent coach who was ruined by the tigers.
Came to the realisation that may be the case. An assistant role is ideal here but would he really deny a head coach role elsewhere.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really hope Potter is offered an assistant role or the nsw cup gig at least. He has shown he ‘has it’ as a NRL coach.
He surely as ‘bulldog’ he would know the pathways we need and really mend the juniors that have been neglected in the last 10 years.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Potter deserves to stay in some capacity ie Assistant or pathways coach (has transitioned some young fellas already)

Gus has a few things on his to do list

1. Officially sign head coach for 23 ie Ciraldo

2. Re sign/extend Burton

3. Find Potter a gig in the coaching set up

4. Sign Haas ( )

5. Re sign Topine

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don’t hurry up and sign Potter, there’s about 3 other clubs who will (or should) go after him.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus deserves high praise here, he bypassed about 3 or 4 internal assistant coaches already in the set up and went out and got Potter. Gus doesn't get many wrong, we are blessed to have him. I'm sure Potsy will be on the coaching staff, deserves it.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If we don’t hurry up and sign Potter, there’s about 3 other clubs who will (or should) go after him.
I'm not sure that is true or that he even would be interested in moving to another club and building all those relationships. He has a good gig, and if Ciraldo doesn't work out, he is first cab off the rank.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he doesn't get the main gig I'd like him as attacking coach or something. He certainly found the keys to our attack.
Craig Sandercock is our attacking guru and deserves a lot of credit. IMO he needs to remain as attacking coach but definitely Potter as assistant to Ciraldo makes sense provided that they can form a good relationship.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Craig Sandercock is our attacking guru and deserves a lot of credit. IMO he needs to remain as attacking coach but definitely Potter as assistant to Ciraldo makes sense provided that they can form a good relationship.
What was he doing before Potter came?

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love what ever he’s doing, the team looks great and the right players in the right position.
the test Will come in the next few weeks to see how we handle some of these top 8 teams.
sharks, manly, cowboys. But definitely he’s deserved a spot somewhere. Just be interesting to know what kind of pressure he’s under, as an interim coach, what was his roll. The knights didn’t throw much at us in attack yesterday. But we defended well.
but knowing who we have left to play what’s everyone happy with in terms of ladder points? Should we be able to get to 20?

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coach just needs to be a leader who surrounds himself and leads the other coaching staff who can provide the technical ability the players need to improve. Organisations often fail when they employ leaders based on their technical abilities. Just because you're a good attacking/defensive coach doesn't mean you have the skills to lead people. Just make the players feel comfortable, feel that they are given all the tools and opportunities they need to succeed. Make them feel valued. Then watch how they repay you. This is what potter seems to do well. The players are playing for him. He has shown he is a leader. The risk is that we overlook those strong attributes in favour of perceived technical abilities of other candidates.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have been calling for Flanagan ever since the shit show with Barrett

Since Potter has taken over, i am of the opinion that he should be given 2 years as the head coach

Sign a defensive coach to take over from Furner, and absolutely NO to Ciraldo....I have had enough of rookie coaches, and we certainly cannot afford to take another gamble with a rookie coach.....Past experiences should make the decision extremely easy and logical....

Spare me the "Gus" knows everything, he is good but he ain't perfect, just like the rest of us

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Since Potter has taken over, i am of the opinion that he should be given 2 years as the head coach

Sign a defensive coach to take over from Furner, and absolutely NO to Ciraldo....I have had enough of rookie coaches, and we certainly cannot afford to take another gamble with a rookie coach.....Past experiences should make the decision extremely easy and logical....

Spare me the "Gus" knows everything, he is good but he ain't perfect, just like the rest of us
Yes I agree. Gus is very good but not infallible. But he is low risk, conservative, so I still cannot get my head around the supposed appointment of Ciraldo. Quite high risk for Gus, and so unlike him to appoint another rookie head coach. I could foresee Ciraldo as part of year 3-4, in Guss's "strategic long term Bulldogs plan" (after CC gets a Bulldog DNA infusion for a year or so) . I am still convinced all this was worked out before we kicked a ball in '22.
I think Potter is likely for another 1-2 years, supported by strong experienced assistant (incl. Ciraldo) team, then bring someone through from that team, to replace Potter. Could Madge end up as assistant, as he has no job at present (not my pick)?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

deal already done with CC, love for potter to stay on as attacking coach