News Potter tipped to remain at the helm following Bulldogs resurgence

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Its only a good idea if the off contract coaches nek year are really good otherwise i dont see why he can’t be the assistant with whoever we employ this year.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early days, Potter is making the right noises, Potter will have first say, Flanagan second fiddle.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not that happy about it, but for me everything is pointing to Fittler from 2023 onwards IF NSW win the Origin series.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something here but WTF would Potter sign on for next year knowing he is going to get the flick? Being the intermediate coach for 4 or 5 months is whole lot easier than a year with a full preseason. Knowing that all of his good work, blood sweat and tears for 18months will benefit someone else. Just when the team is gelling and there is a lot of Cap space available (for 2024) that he will hand it all over to someone else. If he isn't going to be here in 2024 then why would have any interest on who is signed for 2024 and beyond, he's out of here, so why would he care? Obviously Potter will have recruited his support staff for 2023 which he will have to do with them knowing it's temporary gig.

Then there is the new coach for 2024, why would he wait for 18 months and let someone else sign up players? We can sign players from 1st November this year for 2024 and we have 23 spots available, so the new coach could arrive for preseason with possibly not a lot of Cap space left that he can influence.

Surely any new coach would have to announced well before 2024 pre season starts in November 2023. The incoming coach would have to start work immediately. which means he would be here while Potter is still coaching, maybe even coaching going into the finals. Imagine the farkin media circus, with the new coach looking over the shoulder of Potter for months. Plus that's a horrid time to have the new guy start, talk about farkin with the minds of the players and coaching staff. A new coach is also going to bring his own staff with them, so the existing staff will be out looking for jobs for 2024, be demoralised and some may well leave during the last rounds or during the finals.

Appointing someone for 2024 now or any time during the 2023 season doesn't make sense for Potter and it sure as hell makes no sense whatsoever for the incoming coach.

Always a Bulldog

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bit of chat - on the kennel he forgot to add lol ,for me it’s either mick 2 years or 1 year then bellamy definitely not ciraldo or wolf

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something here but WTF would Potter sign on for next year knowing he is going to get the flick? Being the intermediate coach for 4 or 5 months is whole lot easier than a year with a full preseason. Knowing that all of his good work, blood sweat and tears for 18months will benefit someone else. Just when the team is gelling and there is a lot of Cap space available (for 2024) that he will hand it all over to someone else. If he isn't going to be here in 2024 then why would have any interest on who is signed for 2024 and beyond, he's out of here, so why would he care? Obviously Potter will have recruited his support staff for 2023 which he will have to do with them knowing it's temporary gig.

Then there is the new coach for 2024, why would he wait for 18 months and let someone else sign up players? We can sign players from 1st November this year for 2024 and we have 23 spots available, so the new coach could arrive for preseason with possibly not a lot of Cap space left that he can influence.

Surely any new coach would have to announced well before 2024 pre season starts in November 2023. The incoming coach would have to start work immediately. which means he would be here while Potter is still coaching, maybe even coaching going into the finals. Imagine the farkin media circus, with the new coach looking over the shoulder of Potter for months. Plus that's a horrid time to have the new guy start, talk about farkin with the minds of the players and coaching staff. A new coach is also going to bring his own staff with them, so the existing staff will be out looking for jobs for 2024, be demoralised and some may well leave during the last rounds or during the finals.

Appointing someone for 2024 now or any time during the 2023 season doesn't make sense for Potter and it sure as hell makes no sense whatsoever for the incoming coach.

Always a Bulldog
Who knows…maybe 12 month fixed contract (pay rise) and his coaching stocks might go up further where he could potentially pick up a full time gig somewhere like the Titans or Knights or if we are really flying like in the top 4 then he gets a permanent gig

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great news for Pottsie if true. He was in the coaching oblivion coaching Mounties. Now he’s a head coach. If he gets another year that’s 18 months of first grade experience and if he continues to get good results will be highly sought after coach in 2024 even if dogs go in a different direction and appoint another coach. Can’t see anything but win win for potter - that’s if he wants to continue being a head coach after next year.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that happy about it, but for me everything is pointing to Fittler from 2023 onwards IF NSW win the Origin series.
what would make you say that? theres literally no indication apart from hearsay. he's still signed on to the blues and has extended there. he's got 2 cushy jobs in channel 9 and 3 games a year as coach, why would he give that away to come to coach us?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep Ciraldo can pissoff and I agree with Flanagun scarily why would we chase Payten.Plus why would he leave the Cows with the team and culture he is building.
Wonder how Harry feels about possibly warming the chair(ps and warming it for who I don't see any great options anyway Bellamy won't coach another team I reckon)for a year or is he starting to think "back myself I AM good enough"?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Potter is re-signed, it must be for at least 3 years. He needs some certainty. Just waiting to get sacked after 12 months is no good for anyone.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Almost precisely my original thoughts.

But then someone said to me: ‘Mick is unlikely to get an NRL first grade coaching gig elsewhere in the short term, so if he’s offered one more year, he may well take it and the money and set his sights on somewhere else for 2024 if he wants to continue at the top level’.

I guess either scenario is plausible.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Why would he sign on? Don't know, maybe because he wouldn't mind a nice little $350k for 12 months worth of work.

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Potter does well this year why would we sign him for one year for an unproven coach to take over in 2024. Potter may as well stay around as long as the team is doing well.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I heard Potter already signed a contract.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we're serious about 2024 being the big one for us, then Potter staying another year isn't the worst idea.

Will keep cap spending down and give new coach more to work withmid way through next year.
Potter 23 reliant on how he goes rest of this year. He clearly has the side playing to there strengths and is open minded . It’s a safe option and for me the only options that doesnt come with multiple ifs and buts.