Opinion Potter should be our coach!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s never said that at all. You must’ve missed the post match interviews
He won't do it, dead set million to 1. He's just enjoying himself at the moment.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Make no mistake Potter is a very good coach, earns player's respect, knows the game well and imparts his knowledge in way that the players respond to. He has only made one real mistake in his coaching career, which was agreeing to coach the Tigers. A huge mistake admittedly, but he has been unfairly treated for that one error of judgement. Understandably he was personally burned by that public beheading and has stepped back out of the NRL Head Coaching spotlight as a result. He never stopped coaching, he just did it quietly in a way that he felt comfortable. Currently I see him as testing himself, asking the question, he knows that he loves the job itself, but does he really want to step back into the spotlight full time. He needs time to decide if he really wants it or not.

Always a Bulldog
I think we are going off a bit early , yes we have 2 wins and been encouraging, but we have no pressure on us as the season is over. If you can recall Pay had a couple of good finishes because the pressure was off.
I think Gus will wait and see if can above 50% of the remaining games

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we are going off a bit early , yes we have 2 wins and been encouraging, but we have no pressure on us as the season is over. If you can recall Pay had a couple of good finishes because the pressure was off.
I don't know Potter very well, only had a few conversation with him over the years, but one thing I do know is that he is a competitor. He has a strong will to win, each and every game, whether the season is over or not would mean nothing to him.

We have 10 players off contract at the end of the season and they are effectively playing for their future. They are surely aware of what happened to the Bulldogs players who were off contract last year. They are in fact entrusting Potter with their futures and they seem to be responding and I'm sure they don't see it as the season is over. FWIW neither do I.

I would ad that he does seem to be doing better, a lot better, than the other interim coaches (and their season is as much over as his).

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im in that camp too. We always seem to touch up the Tigers, and Parra love a good choke here and there.

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if we beat the sharks, does that give anyone on here hope of making the top 8 or is that completely out of the equation?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our defence has been OK, but we've normally only had 30% of the ball because of errors and stupid penalties.
Since we've cut down on those, we have enough possession to get the ball moving and not be exhausted from tackling a fresher side for 80 minutes.
The sides that beat us enjoyed around 60-70% of the ball, the penalties, and the repeat sets.

We had a lot of ball yesterday, and it showed how a fair share of possession and some refereeing calls our way can make all the difference.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Barrett was coaching them to push the envelope with their discipline. Just saying

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Credit where due; // appreciation post.

Potter has unlocked our stagnant(see boring as bat shit) attack and has allowed the boys to play stress free (no more cookie cutter Panthers style) footy .

For our long suffering loyal fans, how great is it to watch attacking footy? (rhetorical I know, but how good?!)

He’s dropped Dufty and in the process given Jake Avo the fullback spot and his confidence/enjoyment back and it shows!

He’s playing TPJ in a way that utilises his strengths whilst getting the middle rotation right (and rewarded Max King with starts as well)

He simplified Jacko game and limited his involvement in good ball.

In the last two weeks he’s also sorted our defence out too (6 and 12 respectively against Eels and Tigers) with the latter scoring a try in the last min when we had a player binned )

In the space of 5 weeks he’s transformed us from a rabble, boring , useless mob to a more than respectable, entertaining and competitive looking footy side .

The pack are running through brick walls, the spine are gelling and the back 5 are scoring tries

Young fellas like Kiraz and Morrin look like they belong

He’s created an atmosphere in a very short time where our boys are happy to go to work and perform to their best

I’m not getting ahead of myself (well, maybe a little) but he’s got my attention now and if he somehow gets us in the top 8 from here then he has my vote for the full time gig !!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And this is why Gus treats the media like shit. What a bunch of dumb arse dribble. The tigers have the weakest squad out of the 3 teams mentioned in the article but somehow are the most attractive proposition
I hardly read any of it, all bullshit? Knew I was saving time. haha

Gus wont sign Ciraldo to appease Burton that's horseshit as is following him to the Tigers, he looks pretty happy and could be getting on famously with Harry too.

As for Harry, too soon.We play Sharks, Souths, Titans and finish July on the 31st with our round 20 game against the Knights.Is that the time applications are starting to be reviewed? and if Harry won 3 of those four games his chances should be imporved, idk for sure but it wouldn't hurt.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hardly read any of it, all bullshit? Knew I was saving time. haha

Gus wont sign Ciraldo to appease Burton that's horseshit as is following him to the Tigers, he looks pretty happy and could be getting on famously with Harry too.

As for Harry, too soon.We play Sharks, Souths, Titans and finish July on the 31st with our round 20 game against the Knights.Is that the time applications are starting to be reviewed? and if Harry won 3 of those four games his chances. should be enhanced, idk for sure but wouldn't hurt.
Yeh I think the games against sharks, souths and parra will be telling whether Potter wants the job or whether we offer him the job.

If he excels in those particular games, sign him up!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guys forget it he doesn't want it. He's very happy in his role long term he won't be HC. Just forget the idea.
I didn't get that from Sundays presser? didn't rule it out like he might have a month ago..more like play it by ear see what's what down the track a bit he was suggesting, there would be dialogue with Gus about it surely.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I didn't get that from Sundays presser? didn't rule it out like he might have a month ago..more like play it by ear see what's what down the track a bit he was suggesting, there would be dialogue with Gus about it surely.
What I've got from what he has said is he'd love the job but he's playing it down as he doesn't want it to be the focus of attention right now, he wants the players to focus on footy

dog house

Waterboy
Reaction score
I've heard Fittler was a done deal. The news made me ill.
We will go backwards if its true.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he'll be happy being the assistant the HC candidate. That sort of suits him and keeps him involved.