Opinion Potter should be our coach!

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Best thing about him is he always references the next week and the next challenge, winning 1, 2, 3 games doesn’t mean shit it’s all about the underlying process

Under baz every win was a fucking yahoo-event jumping up and down on the sidelines despite the performance never actually improving, shit was embarrassing as fuck tbh it was what we usually laugh at other clubs for doing

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see Burton coach chasing after what happened with Barrett, besides he has fallen in love with our club.
Burton will do what's best for his development. I love how people on this forum suddenly want Potter as our coach after 2 wins...yes i get that the team is playing better....how we look like the chains have been cut free and are playing some great footy...but seriously...its like Potter is the messiah after 2 wins...lets see how he goes for the rest of the year. Gus WILL MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION! Everyone has their opinion and that's fine but Gus is getting the big bucks to take everything into consideration when deciding a coach. And a big part of that is ensuring the appointed can get the best out of quality players like Burton and entice them to stay

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the hype around Potter needs to die down a fair bit. Don’t get me wrong, he has this team humming and given the boys confidence and belief. And it’s showing. Boys are putting in for the jersey. But let’s be realistic. He’s been given a dream gig. Handed the keys to a team running dead last, no attack, pretty much told to get them to the end of season. He’s come in with no pressure, can experiment with no real consequences. If shit didn’t change he wouldn’t really get hammered. He’s coaching with no pressure.
Yup, playing with house money

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have gone from being lucky to score one try per game to scoring 20 plus consistently in five weeks . The buy in from the player’s tell’s you all you need to know. I will be really disappointed if mick isn’t our coach in 23
Me too tbh. The last few weeks have actually made me interested again. If he can build this within a month, who knows what he can do with much longer?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
What hes proven so far is what the team is capable of. Double edged sword for him, now we will expect more than if the improvement hadnt been so dramatic. Only 2 wins but the attack look improved weeks before that, immediately once Potter took over. I reckon a target for him would be to win 50% of our remaining games. He gets it there with Mahoney and Kikau and whoever else coming next year, lifting from a 50% win rate to top 8 isnt a big step. Good F/A and you make the 8 with 50%

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's still the rest of the season left, let's see what Potter can do. Hopefully the club has an open mind and are still considering Potter as an option.

The most positive thing about Potter's tenure so far is it doesn't seem to just be 'new manager bounce'. It's not like he came in, we won a couple of games and then we went back to shit. We've actually improved over the 5 matches he's been in charge. If he keeps it up for the rest of the year he surely has to get the job.
The problem is, the longer we take, the fewer options we'll probably have. That's why the next week or two will be huge.

Besides us, Tigers and Warriors are looking for a coach. Another club might be looking before the end of season (Knights) and it's not like there are heaps of good coaches available. Flanno, Ciraldo, Green and maybe Woolf and Wane are the ones I know of. None of them really excite me as better options than Potter. Flanno would be similar imo, but comes with the father/son and peptides baggage. Ciraldo has huge wraps but is untested as a full time head coach. He could just as easily flop like Baz did. Tigers are keen on him, as are we apparently, but I'm not keen on getting another Penrith assistant. Tigers have supposedly given him until next week to decide.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I remember at one time thinking i wanted Dymock as coach when we showed some form after he took over as interim. But then we got someone i didnt prefer at all instead. Hope it doesnt happen that way again.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they. Respect right there.
I understand why..
My issue is how greedy are the Storm.
They are given a massive helping hand already by the NRL who bend over backwards to keep Storm at the top of the ladder.

Last edited:

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We better hope Monster re-signs with the Storm otherwise we will have virtually no hope of retaining him

If they cant afford to keep munster how will they afford burton? We have the cap space/ ability to offer him more money then what they can.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our also not elite fullback just clowned the Tigers while we're adding a better hooker to our squad than them haha.
I didn't include that because the article was written and released before Sundays game.

But of course when you add that in, the article looks like complete garbage, especially now brooks is dropped

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mick Potter on the phone that landed him a job with the Bulldogs

From 4 weeks ago.

Potter said he has had limited contact with the players so far and has left team management to assistants while he gets his feet under the desk.

“My contribution this week was minimal, but the assistant coaches and Gus did a great job,” he said. “They prepared very well. I’m happy with where they are and they will give the best account of themselves.

“My thoughts were with Trent and for Trent, because I’ve known him for a long time and he’s a great guy and a great coach. I didn’t want to disrespect him and feel like I was stepping on his toes in front of the players.

“I wanted to help players move forward. For Trent, it was a tough gig and it probably wore him down a bit. He still has a future as a coach.

“It’s about being honest and direct. As an interim coach I can do it and I feel very free to be honest. Honestly, as a coach, that’s your number one attribute.

“I’m going to temper my words again, but making sure players know what it takes to be a good NRL player.”

He didn’t rule out taking the job full-time, but insisted he was happy to work as a temp and see where he ended up in the long run.

“I took the job for what it is, and I’m happy to have it,” Potter said. “If I keep my mindset like this, it will be better for me.

“That’s not to say I wouldn’t, but right now I’m just doing this job. I feel so much freer knowing that I just have a certain time to do.

“I am interim coach until the end of the season. For now, I’m worried about what I’m doing right now and I’m going to keep a cool head. »
Mick sounds like he might not want the pressure of a long contract. Maybe the club should just sign him to a deal for next season and he can call himself Acting Head Coach.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem is, the longer we take, the fewer options we'll probably have. That's why the next week or two will be huge.

Besides us, Tigers and Warriors are looking for a coach. Another club might be looking before the end of season (Knights) and it's not like there are heaps of good coaches available. Flanno, Ciraldo, Green and maybe Woolf and Wane are the ones I know of. None of them really excite me as better options than Potter. Flanno would be similar imo, but comes with the father/son and peptides baggage. Ciraldo has huge wraps but is untested as a full time head coach. He could just as easily flop like Baz did. Tigers are keen on him, as are we apparently, but I'm not keen on getting another Penrith assistant. Tigers have supposedly given him until next week to decide.
That's excatly it; there are no options on the market that scream out to us so why do we need to rush into making a decision?

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys forget it he doesn't want it. He's very happy in his role long term he won't be HC. Just forget the idea.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys forget it he doesn't want it. He's very happy in his role long term he won't be HC. Just forget the idea.
He’s never said that at all. You must’ve missed the post match interviews

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Make no mistake Potter is a very good coach, earns player's respect, knows the game well and imparts his knowledge in way that the players respond to. He has only made one real mistake in his coaching career, which was agreeing to coach the Tigers. A huge mistake admittedly, but he has been unfairly treated for that one error of judgement. Understandably he was personally burned by that public beheading and has stepped back out of the NRL Head Coaching spotlight as a result. He never stopped coaching, he just did it quietly in a way that he felt comfortable. Currently I see him as testing himself, asking the question, he knows that he loves the job itself, but does he really want to step back into the spotlight full time. He needs time to decide if he really wants it or not.

Always a Bulldog