bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If this Improvment continues then he will be our new coach

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the options are Space Cadet Fittler, Green, Maguire & Ciraldo, i will stick with Mick Potter thank you very much

Only coaches at this present moment which I would take over Mick Potter are Shane Flanagan & Craig Bellamy

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only read a few posts near the start and most were laughing about it not taking long for the hype train to start rolling. Well tbh, Potter has been impressing me more and more since he took over. It wasn't just because we smashed Parra ffs.

If you can't see how much he has improved the team, I can't help ya. I'm not saying he should be offered the job for sure, but the way people just immediately shoot down the idea is baffling. They guy has more experience than other candidates. He is a Bulldog legend and he obv has some ability.

As if you wouldn't consider him! Nah, we're better off with peptide Shane, or Fittler, Green or an unproven Ciraldo. Seriously, you're gonna turn ya nose up at Potter, when these are the other options? lol ok. Woolf is a decent option, but more of a risk imo.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mick Potter on the phone that landed him a job with the Bulldogs

From 4 weeks ago.

Potter said he has had limited contact with the players so far and has left team management to assistants while he gets his feet under the desk.

“My contribution this week was minimal, but the assistant coaches and Gus did a great job,” he said. “They prepared very well. I’m happy with where they are and they will give the best account of themselves.

“My thoughts were with Trent and for Trent, because I’ve known him for a long time and he’s a great guy and a great coach. I didn’t want to disrespect him and feel like I was stepping on his toes in front of the players.

“I wanted to help players move forward. For Trent, it was a tough gig and it probably wore him down a bit. He still has a future as a coach.

“It’s about being honest and direct. As an interim coach I can do it and I feel very free to be honest. Honestly, as a coach, that’s your number one attribute.

“I’m going to temper my words again, but making sure players know what it takes to be a good NRL player.”

He didn’t rule out taking the job full-time, but insisted he was happy to work as a temp and see where he ended up in the long run.

“I took the job for what it is, and I’m happy to have it,” Potter said. “If I keep my mindset like this, it will be better for me.

“That’s not to say I wouldn’t, but right now I’m just doing this job. I feel so much freer knowing that I just have a certain time to do.

“I am interim coach until the end of the season. For now, I’m worried about what I’m doing right now and I’m going to keep a cool head. »
I love his diplomacy and how he knows what to say and more importantly what NOT to say. Honestly, he ticks a lot of boxes for an NRL coach.

One thing that is bemusing and irritating to me, is how players and coaches are often determined or manipulated by the media! The media talks up x, y or z player/coach, and that often becomes the reality. Meaning that the public eventually believe that x, y and z are the only relevant players/coaches. That's why guys like Potter weren't even on the radar, but for some reason Gus et al wanted him to take over from Baz. Why not Furner, Tangatatoa etc? Partly because Gus doesn't do what the media says, nor what seems likely to the onlookers. He doesn't pay attention to any of it. Just like the clip I watched of him earlier talking about the call for changes to the Blues team being nonsense. He's in the inner sanctum and works with so many people and has done so for ages. He knows what will actually work 9 times out of 10.

So fellow Kennelers, don't fall for the media narrative that we need x, y or z, or that they're the only options. Be patient and who knows, Mick Potter may indeed prove he can do the job. He hasn't done it yet, but he's gone a long way towards it imo.

All I know is, as a person I'd love for him to get the job, because he has the dogs of war blood and has been around for a long time, but never had the opportunity to coach us.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We've already signed our new coach
I agree. I think there was a handshake deal at Magic Round, when T-Baz was on life support. I expect an announcement immediately after the ESL grand final or St Helens defeat in the finals, whichever comes first.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not going to be making calls for any particular coach at this stage. But if Potter manages to keep the form up after this and snares a decent number of wins to close out the season, he's going to be doing his career a big favour whether it's potentially getting a chance to coach us for a few seasons or another NRL gig. Balls in his court really.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not going to be making calls for any particular coach at this stage. But if Potter manages to keep the form up after this and snares a decent number of wins to close out the season, he's going to be doing his career a big favour whether it's potentially getting a chance to coach us for a few seasons or another NRL gig. Balls in his court really.
Agreed, being an interim coach is in his favour. If the boys don't improve or win he can leave with no issues. But if can continue to improve and string wins together, then we/and he may reconsider his position as the full-time coach.

I'm not sold on him just yet, but I will say, I'm seeing significant improvement and change.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The acid test is firing 2 weeks in a row, if “Harry” Potter can get the best out of our team again v’s the tigs, then it proves his tactics and strategy is working and respected by the players..and other teams will start to worry when they play us next..

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think I’m starting to agree with the suggestion of Potter being the coach. And I think it’s Gus’ plan all along .
Potter gets the bulldog culture, unlike those before him he’s freed up our attack. We’re scoring points now, that takes enormous pressure off our defence. I think he’s gone back to basics and coaches to our strengths. We’ll have more strength areas to come next year too.
It's hard to explain but even from the games we lost there's an attitude change collectively, the players are more 'honest' with themselves, desperate and not milking, etc

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One win doesn’t mean he’s the best coach in the land. But, he’s a safe pair of hands and there seems to be a lot more pluses for Potter than there are for others. Flanagan has the shadow around his suspension, Ciraldo is untried, Fittler and Green are just undoglike, Wolf we don’t know, Madge doesn’t have good recent form. Even before tonight, Potter seemed to be the right fit for us moving forward. In the absence of a stand out alternative, I could live with the club going with Potter for a year or two.
I think we bring in Ennis, Dymock, and/or Noddy as assistants, keep anyone Potter is happy to delegate. Head coach isn't only about coaching par se, it's about managing, sir Alex Ferguson (although I hate him) had respectively managed unflattering players and teams to success through man management and delegating trainings. Potter seems like he's in there for the ride and will pass the batton to someone like Ennis or Dymock when the time's right, seems like a non egotistical "team first" kind of guy.